Motorbike travel around Vietnam......again

chrissables

3 hours ago, Mansell said:

One of my all time favorite cars. You used to see them in old French movies as police cars with Le flic riding on the running board that many of them had. When I was based in Singapore in 1963 in the RN there was an officer in the dockyard with a beautiful cream colored specimen. I often wonder what happened to that beauty as the next year we gave them independence, or we closed the dockyard. Classic styling.

Yes! Good looking cars.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Tofer said:

Not pleasant I imagine, surprised you didn't get more confused. 

I had an experience, woke up in the middle of the night in a hotel with no stationary around and had no idea where I was. Phoned reception to ask where I was, answer Queens Hotel, OK but where?, Nuera Leah, where's that?, Sri Lanka - OK thanks.

Probably too many beers also....

Not confused, just in a total panic. Crazy!

6 minutes ago, chrissables said:

Not confused, just in a total panic. Crazy!

I feel for you. I am a bit the same.

Almost got in a panic reading about the cave rescue events, also watching a film about a guy buried alive in a coffin, had to turn it off.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tofer said:

Didn't you read, he had his moobs tampered with!!

Thoroughy enjoyed your post Chris , thanks for sharing.

Brave chap to take on that journey on a Click style mc.

I just looked at the pictures.......?

Must learn to read the text as well..............

8 hours ago, Tofer said:

I feel for you. I am a bit the same.

Almost got in a panic reading about the cave rescue events, also watching a film about a guy buried alive in a coffin, had to turn it off.

Yes, i was the same, turned the film off!

12 hours ago, Scotssing said:

Wonderful trip, wish I could do it!

Once or twice you got a bit lost. Can you get as good SatNav as you do in Thailand?

The road were strange at times, a dual carriageway would continue into the distance which ends in a dead end, and the turning i needed would be like a side soi that you would never think of using.

I was using maps and my phone, i had to change my provider due to lack of signal where needed. I have been told of a map you can download to your phone which is good, i was told at the end of the trip! 

13 hours ago, TunnelRat69 said:

Great story, I live in Vietnam 3 months a year and haven't done a ride such as this.  Will rectify that next year with the Motorcycle Tour Company  - 75 days thru out the country  - I like structure and their tours are well organized...........Thanx for the inspiration!!!:wai:

For me i would want to not ride as part of a tour. I like to start and finish when i want, stop for photos when i want etc.

I spend a lot of time planning my rides and trying to find out of the way places too, but admit a guided tour would make some of the trip easier. ?

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Mansell said:

I enjoyed your write up and the lovely variety of photos. I have seen a lot of Vietnam and the pics brought back good memories. Though I was somewhat mystified by your insistence on wanting to enter China illegally, especially as the Chinese do not look kindly on foreigners entering their country this way. I would imagine you might have found yourself locked up in a pretty nasty dirty dark cell which would probably initiate your claustrophobia......somehow I don't think you thought your actions through to this possible conclusion and in this case were very lucky to avoid that nasty experience.

It was not so much i wanted to it illegally, i just wanted to see how it was at remote areas. I always had my passport with me, but mostly these places were not manned. 

I did think everything through and decided it was worth it and the risk was minimal.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, VirgoSG said:

The trip sounds fabulous.  While I'm not personally a motorcyclist, I appreciate your effort in putting the report together, as I am sure many readers will.  Great experience for you.

A question for you.  I get conflicting reports as to whether self-drive car rental is available for foreigners in Vietnam.  The internet seems to suggest yes, but tour guides I've spoken to in Vietnam say no.  Did you come across any non-Vietnamese with rental cars on your journey?

Kudos!

Motorbike, everyone rents out. Cars i did not see, but i was not looking. Tour guides may tell you no so you must use them.

One issue would be insurance, but if you have a Thai licence that is acceptable.

9 hours ago, Tofer said:

Didn't you read, he had his moobs tampered with!!

Thoroughy enjoyed your post Chris , thanks for sharing.

Brave chap to take on that journey on a Click style mc.

If i go again, which i think i will, i would rent an off road style bike Honda CRF style, but only for comfort, i suffered a lot on the small bike seat even though i had it altered.

2 minutes ago, Tedly said:

Thanks for sharing your story and photos! I really enjoyed the scenery. Through your sharing I am able to see things I may never see any other way.

Thanks for the compliment! If you get the chance, go take a look ?

11 hours ago, chrissables said:

Yes! Good looking cars.

Citroen Light 15 ?  Did you get to chat with the owner ?   

Brilliant diary and pictures  and I will read it again later when I will be undisturbed . Did I miss it or did you name the camera ?

Any problems when you returned the hire bike ?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, superal said:

Citroen Light 15 ?  Did you get to chat with the owner ?   

Brilliant diary and pictures  and I will read it again later when I will be undisturbed . Did I miss it or did you name the camera ?

Any problems when you returned the hire bike ?

The Citroen's were parked outside a top hotel in Hanoi, there for show I'm sure.

Nikon D3100 and a Fuji X100F and some on my phone.

No issues at all, i have used the company before Tigit motorbikes, they are based in a few places around Vietnam. Jon the owner is an English guy and very easy going.

https://www.tigitmotorbikes.com/

Edited by chrissables
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, chrissables said:

The Citroen's were parked outside a top hotel in Hanoi, there for show I'm sure.

Nikon D3100 and a Fuji X100F and some on my phone.

No issues at all, i have the company before Tigit motorbikes, they are based in a few places around Vietnam. Jon the owner is an English guy and very easy going.

Could you see yourself living in Vietnam ? I am hearing that it is a country like Thailand 40 years ago . 

Pros and cons would be interesting ?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Naamblar2014 said:

Fantastic photos!  Truly inspiring trip.  Thanks.

Any problems with the bike,  punctures or the like on the over 12,000km journey?

Thanks ?

No, just the uncomfortable seat.  Everything else was good.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, chrissables said:

If i go again, which i think i will, i would rent an off road style bike Honda CRF style, but only for comfort, i suffered a lot on the small bike seat even though i had it altered.

I can imagine. 

My backside hurts after 30-40kms on a comfy PCX. Biker friend tells me you get used to it, but I'm too long in the tooth to care to find out....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tofer said:

I can imagine. 

My backside hurts after 30-40kms on a comfy PCX. Biker friend tells me you get used to it, but I'm too long in the tooth to care to find out....

It takes time and is not nice ?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, tutsiwarrior said:

VN is more beautiful (scenic) than Thailand and I was on the main road between Hanoi and HCMC...your photos show off the beautiful landscape when you get off the main road...more opportunities for living unhassled (immigration) and for working and I was thinking of a move there either to Hanoi or the north central coast where I've lived before...I'm fortunate to have local friends there from when I've worked there in the past...but certain times of the year ye gotta watch them typhoons comin' off the south china sea...the big storms do a lot of damage both in coastal areas and inland...

Yes, in the north thay have had a lot of problems with the rains this year.

14 hours ago, tutsiwarrior said:

VN is more beautiful (scenic) than Thailand and I was on the main road between Hanoi and HCMC...your photos show off the beautiful landscape when you get off the main road...more opportunities for living unhassled (immigration) and for working and I was thinking of a move there either to Hanoi or the north central coast where I've lived before...I'm fortunate to have local friends there from when I've worked there in the past...but certain times of the year ye gotta watch them typhoons comin' off the south china sea...the big storms do a lot of damage both in coastal areas and inland...

Is VN up to date with the internet scene ? quite important consideration to me . I am guessing that you would have to be close to a modern town ?

32 minutes ago, superal said:

Is VN up to date with the internet scene ? quite important consideration to me . I am guessing that you would have to be close to a modern town ?

Very good everywhere i went, and i went to so many places, remote and towns also.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, chrissables said:

Very good everywhere i went, and i went to so many places, remote and towns also.

14 minutes ago, chrissables said:

Pleasantly surprised

• Like 1

Hi Chris,

you've got a bunch more "likes"....... pretty much every post with photos.......

As per usual, stunning photos and write up, absolute top, great trip report. Envious.

Pity you can't take your Rally in on a trip like that - would give it a good work out and seems pretty perfick for an adventure like you've ridden. So they have CRF's in VN for rent? Seems the way to go next time.

Re sore arse - over 12k in 2 months you can't escape it on anything bar a Gold Wing type armchair blob, but they aint very practical down a goat track or downtown Saigon... Check a company called Air Hawk out - they make these removable gel seat cover/pads, might be worth a punt on your next long trip.

Kudos!!!

Regards,

TG.

Edit - just read the rental company's website. Thanx for that, informative and interesting. The dual sport option is an XR150 at double the cost ($20) of a step thru.

Edited by thaiguzzi
  • Like 1

On 7/28/2018 at 5:15 PM, TunnelRat69 said:

Great story, I live in Vietnam 3 months a year and haven't done a ride such as this.  Will rectify that next year with the Motorcycle Tour Company  - 75 days thru out the country  - I like structure and their tours are well organized...........Thanx for the inspiration!!!:wai:

Would you please send me a PM to that tour company ?   Thanks a lot.