Trump threatens U.S. government shutdown over border wall

webfact

Trump threatens U.S. government shutdown over border wall

By Doina Chiacu

2018-07-29T164513Z_3_LYNXMPEE6S0ET_RTROPTP_4_USA-ECONOMY-TRUMP.JPG

U.S. President Donald Trump speaks about the economy while delivering remarks on the South Lawn of the White House in Washington, U.S., July 27, 2018. REUTERS/Carlos Barria

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump said on Sunday he would allow the federal government to shut down if Democrats do not fund his border wall and back immigration law changes, betting that maintaining a hard line will work in Republicans' favor in November congressional elections.

However, a disruption in federal government operations could backfire on Trump if voters blame Republicans, who control Congress, for the interruption in services.

"I would be willing to 'shut down' government if the Democrats do not give us the votes for Border Security, which includes the Wall! Must get rid of Lottery, Catch & Release etc. and finally go to system of Immigration based on MERIT! We need great people coming into our Country!" Trump said on Twitter.

Americans are divided along party lines on immigration, and 81 percent of Republicans approved Trump's handling of the issue, according to a Reuters/Ipsos poll released this month.

The Republican president has threatened a shutdown several times since taking office in 2017 in a bid to get immigration priorities in congressional spending bills, especially funding for a wall along the southern U.S. border. Trump has asked for $25 billion to build the wall.

"I don't think it would be helpful, so let’s try to avoid it," Republican Senator Ron Johnson, chairman of the Senate Homeland Security Committee, said on CBS' "Face the Nation."

Congress must agree on a spending measure to fund the government by a Sept. 30 deadline.

Although Republicans control both the U.S. Senate and House of Representatives, disagreements between moderates and conservatives in the party have impeded a speedy legislative fix.

Standoffs over spending levels and immigration led to a three-day government shutdown, mostly over a weekend, in January and an hours-long shutdown in February.

The House in June rejected an immigration bill favored by conservative Republicans.

The Republican president has made tougher immigration laws a centerpiece of his administration, from the first ill-fated travel ban on people from predominantly Muslim nations to the current battle raging over the separation of illegal immigrant children from their parents at the U.S.-Mexico border.

A federal judge on Friday urged the U.S. government to focus on finding deported immigrant parents whose children remain in the United States.

(Reporting by Doina Chiacu; Additional reporting by Sarah N. Lynch; Editing by Lisa Shumaker)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-07-30
  • Like 1

If he closes the govt, that will be bad for GDP.  He's boasting about 4.1 quarterly increase now, but will have to do some explaining when it is only 2.1 in October.

Or, as someone once said (not so long ago): "it's the economy, stupid."

• Like 1

I agree with most people that this guy is a raving moron but it is so funny that my wife, who is Chinese, thinks that he is the greatest thing since sliced bread because he is willing to take on the Chinese government.  So many Chinese I speak to think he will save the world for them. :cheesy::cheesy:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Tug said:

True but last time I looked we are still a democracy in spite of Donald’s and Putin’s best efforts 

I did say "wannabe".

And now, from the latest news ............. The remains of Donald Trump’s star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame had been covered with plywood and traffic cones and ringed with yellow tape by Thursday, less than 48 hours after someone obliterated it with a pickax.

He is making a lot of enemies. No pickax required but he is doing a great job of dividing America.

Way to go Donald.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

U.S. President Donald Trump said on Sunday he would allow the federal government to shut down if Democrats do not fund his border wall and back immigration law changes

May 2017 - After Trump calls for a government shutdown, White House pins the blame on Democrats

January 2018 - Trump blames Democrats for government shutdown

March 2018 - Trump is threatening to shut down the government — and blame Democrats for DACA

Now Trump can only blame himself.

But you know self-incrimination doesn't last long with Trump. Maybe he can blame the next shutdown on the 700+ immigrant children that his government lost.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

It is about time America as a whole started shouting out to this Doofus that he works for them, not the other way round. How long would an employee of his last if he threatened and mocked the boss I wonder?

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, CanuckThai said:

What is the "cost" per annum for the open Mexican border?   Illegal immigrants entering from Mexico, illegal immigrants being smuggled from Mexico, illegal immigrants landing in the States and working illegally, families (kids) showing up unrecorded seeking schooling, basic medical and social benefits  etc.  $25 billion for a wall might be a deal....

Far from correct.

I remember reading many times that there already is a net profit of illegal immigration. Now take away the costs for immigration protection and the net profit increases dramatically.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Srikcir said:

May 2017 - After Trump calls for a government shutdown, White House pins the blame on Democrats

January 2018 - Trump blames Democrats for government shutdown

March 2018 - Trump is threatening to shut down the government — and blame Democrats for DACA

Now Trump can only blame himself.

But you know self-incrimination doesn't last long with Trump. Maybe he can blame the next shutdown on the 700+ immigrant children that his government lost.

Or he can blame Mexico for refusing to pay for an unneeded wall. I hear there are new factories starting up in Mexico to make 11 foot ladders.

• Haha 1

There is a lot to be said for a light authoritarian govt like Singapore where the president can  order a WALL without being sandbaged. In this case Trump should order Army Corps of Engineers to build wall - from the Pacific to the Gulf. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, ResandePohm said:

You are assuming that most illegal migrants are crossing over the border with Mexico. However, if you check the statistics you will see that the majority of illegals enter the US legally as tourists then overstay. Same same Thailand. So tell me how a wall will have any effect at all. Complete waste of money.

Trump surely does not know about these statistics as he does not often read reports and they probably have not been diffused by Fox News. And anyway, even if he had read them, he would not care! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

He is a funny guy. Captain Chaos says there is a captain. But he certainly does not have the leadership of a captain. All that remains is chaos. He is more of a clown. A chaos clown. So no wall then goverment shut down. This is an infantile chaos clown. All children from kindergartens should also be admitted to the next presidential elections. The one who stomps the ground the most with anger, becomes president. Every five-year-old would outmaneuver DT.

Viva USA.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Lungstib said:

A man who thinks getting his own way is more important than a functioning govt. 

Yeah. I am married to someone like that who thinks only in terms of winning, losing and getting their own way no matter what. An equitable solution? Shag that. 'I do what I want and you shut up about it' is her idea of equitable.

Now apply that to a huge powerful country and all of a sudden many millions round the world have a massive problem on their hands...