Farewell Chiang Mai, TBL has left the building.

thaibeachlovers

44 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Update- it's cold, and I wish I was still in C M.

I thought you were from Australia. If so, just do your 2 years in jail and see how you are on the other side of that. You will have portability for the pension and may be back! Good luck and I hope your health gets sorted.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The main problem with C M from my perspective is that nothing gets fixed- the pavements on which I trod were collapsing, and blocked by unused telephone boxes etc; the drains were never properly cleaned which led to floods in the soi I was in and the traffic is appalling- they need more pedestrian crossing lights. 

8 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Pattaya has loads of concerts and other such shows, plus they do fireworks ... C M could learn from them.

I lived in Pattaya more than a year, and living now in CM some 24 months ...

I do not know, in which area you lived in CM - however with regard to the inner city and Nimman - I see that quite the opposite!

IMO, CM is far cleaner and far better maintained.

Flooding? - Yes, a little bit after heavy downpours, but not to the extent of Pattaya, where you have to wade though hip-high water in some Sois and one the main traffic arteries - Beach Road - constantly changing to "Beach River".

Concerts - maybe not in Old Town or Hangdong 555 - but there are a lot of concerts and a very lively music scene for all tastes, e.g. on that open area behind Duangtawan in Nimman.

And at least in the inner city (the outer areas, I confess, committees are controlled  by the developers) city planning is far superior to Pattaya, e.g. zoning with limited building heights in Old Town and general planning. A superior traffic concept like the 3 ring roads in CM - impossible in Pattaya, because only greed controls their decisions ... I still remember the terrible f..k up, when they built just 1 tunnel on Sukhumvit.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

Wonder what prompts some people to announce their departure to an "audience" of people, 99% of whom really have no idea who they are.

Perhaps they feel lonely or have no one to talk to. ?

Edited by The Theory

Good luck, TBL!  My partner and I are just back from a short visit to CM, I think our 4th visit.  It seemed cleaner than Pattaya but the traffic was a lot worse--my Thai partner remarked that it was like a mini Bangkok.  We very much enjoyed the Queen Sirikit Botanical Center up in the mountains.  And, always love the craft area--the back of the SUV was filled with treasures we found, at good prices.   Although we like to visit CM, we wouldn't want to live there and prefer the beach life in Pattaya.

• Like 1

All the best TBL on your new venture.

As others have said, your honesty in your posts ( without the showboating or whinging so common in TVF ) have always made for a good read.

Give us an update in a while as to how you are finding your new home ( the uk I am guessing ).

Have you left or still here....maybe no need to return home. You mentioned Pattaya, you can get a well equipped modern air con furnished condo for 6k. Health insurance depending on your age can be bought for a reasonable cost or what about just registering at a Thai hospitol.....youve been here a long time and probably have looked at a lot of options but possibly all is not lost

9 hours ago, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

Wasn"t that from the old movie with Marlon Brando? When I saw it as a kid I got a crush on this actress. Probably what got me into Asian chicks!

Bon voyage TBL!

sayonara.jpeg

For me it was and remains, “The World of Susi Wong”. Damn you Suzi....and thanks as I am here in Thailand and very, very happy (knock on wood).

6 hours ago, Fore Man said:

This in addition to a lackadaisical attitude to stop the field burning which has made the area nearly unlivable for two+ months every year.

Not sure how you can say that .

The authorities have banned burning and they have extinguished the fires and prosecuted people .

Most of the smoke now wafts in from neighboring Countries

• Confused 1

On 7/24/2018 at 7:25 AM, DoctorG said:

Is it just the camera angle/depth, or is this guy 7 feet tall?

15 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Not sure how you can say that .

The authorities have banned burning and they have extinguished the fires and prosecuted people .

Most of the smoke now wafts in from neighboring Countries

There’s definitely either disinformation involved or one of my best friends, a man who takes long motorcycle tours, is hallucinating.  He came across many burning fields on his journeys around the lesser-traveled parts of the province and video-documented several as well. Yes, you’re right in that neighboring Myanmar is a culprit in causing our worsening air quality, but guilt needs to be equally shared by Thai farmers who ignore the new regulations or simply are too remotely located to be prosecuted.  I’ve been here for 14 years and the problem has steadily worsened each passing year. We can decide to live with it and likely suffer long term cardiopulmonary problems...or as I have opted...to vote with our feet.  

1 minute ago, Fore Man said:

There’s definitely either disinformation involved or one of my best friends, a man who takes long motorcycle tours, is hallucinating.  He came across many burning fields on his journeys around the lesser-traveled parts of the province and video-documented several as well. Yes, you’re right in that neighboring Myanmar is a culprit in causing our worsening air quality, but guilt needs to be equally shared by Thai farmers who ignore the new regulations or simply are too remotely located to be prosecuted.  I’ve been here for 14 years and the problem has steadily worsened each passing year. We can decide to live with it and likely suffer long term cardiopulmonary problems...or as I have opted...to vote with our feet.  

Whilst I do agree that there is still a problem, I disagree that the authorities are not taking any action .

Measures have been taken to reduce the burning . IMO , there have been improvements in the air quality over the years , it used ti be horrendous for about two months , these days you just get a few bad days

12 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The main problem with C M from my perspective is that nothing gets fixed- the pavements on which I trod were collapsing, and blocked by unused telephone boxes etc; the drains were never properly cleaned which led to floods in the soi I was in and the traffic is appalling-

How many pavements did you tread on that "collapsed"?

The unused telephone boxes were removed a few years ago, although some they missed out still remain .

How do you know that the drains were not properly cleansed ?

Heavy rains happen in the moonsoon , some roads flood for a while and all the water goes within 30 minutes .

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sanemax said:

How many pavements did you tread on that "collapsed"?

The unused telephone boxes were removed a few years ago, although some they missed out still remain .

How do you know that the drains were not properly cleansed ?

Heavy rains happen in the moonsoon , some roads flood for a while and all the water goes within 30 minutes .

I don't know how you can say that the walkways are in an atrocious state. You seem to just want to be controversial!

Anyway TBL all the very best to you for the future you always came across as genuine. I feel quite melancholy.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Gruff said:

I don't know how you can say that the walkways are in an atrocious state. You seem to just want to be controversial!

I hardly notice , a minor inconvenience . 

I just get on with it and not let things like that bother me 

• Like 1

I don't know where you were hermiting over a year. It takes more than a year to discover this city. New Year at the Thaphae Gate is always great with live bands and full of atmosphere. The city has many parades and festivals throughout the year. It would be best if you wait for Disneyland to arrive in CM before you think of coming back. If you wanted real excitement you should have gone to the Tiger Kingdon and entered a cage with 3 Tigers.

16 hours ago, faraday said:

Sorry to hear about your problems mate, really. :smile:

My Dad used to say :

'As one door closes, another one opens'

He was right.

ThaiBeachLover

"Change is the Spice of Life - embrace it

We all die - never fear death, but instead fear an Unlived Life...........you have definately lived life and have come to another bend in the road - Good Luck, hope you continue to post from time to time - we didn't always see things the same way but had some pretty civil disagreements.  

Salute!!!    and try to un-complicate your life with what is left of it - I have.

Edited by TunnelRat69
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, TunnelRat69 said:

ThaiBeachLover

"Change is the Spice of Life - embrace it

We all die - never fear death, but instead fear an Unlived Life...........you have definately lived life and have come to another bend in the road - Good Luck, hope you continue to post from time to time - we didn't always see things the same way but had some pretty civil disagreements.  

Salute!!!    and try to un-complicate your life with what is left of it - I have.

Jeeezz, hes only moving to another location .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, rhodie said:

I thought you were from Australia. If so, just do your 2 years in jail and see how you are on the other side of that. You will have portability for the pension and may be back! Good luck and I hope your health gets sorted.

if he has done his 30 plus years in australia from the age of 16, plus 30 years in thailand he would be 76 at the youngest to get portability, on top of that he wold be uninsurable in thailand at a reasonable cost for health.

• Like 1

Good luck TBL I’ve enjoyed reading your posts. It’s gonna be hot this weekend back home so enjoy the weather while it lasts. .
Wishing you well

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Edited by Kadilo
  • Thanks 1