Are 'tent' used car dealers all bad?

simon43

52 minutes ago, jvs said:

Well i took a lot of things into consideration before i bought it,i mainly looked at the difference in price between my old 2003 Tiger and the asking price for the Ford.The Tiger had just over 350 000 km on it and the Ford 60 000,nearly 300 000 difference.Sooner rather then later i would have gotten large maintenance bills .

I ended up paying 100 000 Baht more for the Ford than what i got for the Tiger.This gives me a 6 year newer vehicle with a lower mileage for a very reasonable amount of money.It also uses 20% less fuel.

How much did you get for the Tiger?m

• Like 1

On 8/6/2018 at 12:06 PM, JAG said:

Yes, I would love to see the tent a Maserati was sold from! 

https://goo.gl/images/E8dNMa

Go on one2car.com, search for Maserati - Ghibli, and there's one from the 80's which is sold by a tent.

Moreover, it's nothing special these days that a tent would have rare and "exotic" cars. A tent dealer in srinakarin road has a yellow Corvette parked up front, and there's also one with a 2018 Giulia Quadrifoglio. It's not used, but it's still being sold by a tent.

On 8/6/2018 at 10:09 PM, Bung said:

I was surprised recently to look at a vigo pickup at a tent dealer, very low klm (99% sure it was correct going by the condition) top model G going for less than all the private ads for similar vehicles that were only the lower E  models with higher mileage. 

Here in Thailand, the trim level is irrelevant.

Example: from 2007-2010, the Camry's trim level started at around 1,300,000 baht and the top level trim was 2,900,000 baht (the 3.5L V6).

Now, a 2007 2.0 Camry costs the same as a 2007 3.5 Camry in the used market.

A more recent example: the Civic 1.5T also costs the same as a 1.8E in the used market.

One interesting thing about depreciation here: 2 door cars depreciate less because of their rarity.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
8 minutes ago, no deal said:

buying a  good used car in thailand is not easy most have accidents and not repair right i never buy used car  there...

I've bought two from the same dealer, a Jazz and a Isuzu D Max, never had a problem with either.

I really wanted a Toyota Altis, saw some lovely ones on one2car.com, rodkaidee.co, chobrod.com etc all gleaming, unmarked and looking good.

BUT all had been resprayed from original pink, blue, red, green/yellow, some had the CNG/LPG still installed, some had it removed. All of the resprayed looked so good and all were worn-out taxis, so you need to ask the question why a late model car is so beautiful yet so cheap.

In fact you need to ask if it is LPG or CNG, or if it was a taxi. 500,000 km on the clock might be ok if the engine has been cared for - a big might!

Otherwise a lot of the cheaper cars we have seen are dirty, have not been cleared of rubbish not even washed let alone valeted although a dusty engine does show up any oil leaks. Tent's don't seem to do anything to many of the cars they sell, so squeaky fan belts, rattling cam followers etc are commonplace.

So we regrettably were unable to buy my favourite comfortable Altis, nor my wife's choice, the shoe-box sized Jazz thank goodness, instead we (she) bought a Vios yesterday, 2005 model, 145000 baht, and we collect it today and send it in for cam belt (just in case) and a service plus inspection. Be good, we've been car-less for a week having sold the Innova for a goodly sum that will buy the Vios, a mini-truck for me, and pay for a 10 metre extension on the house. Plus the Vios will sip petrol compared to the comfortable but juicy Innova.

On 11/12/2018 at 11:03 AM, no deal said:

buying a  good used car in thailand is not easy most have accidents and not repair right i never buy used car  there...

As you were a car dealer I would have thought you had the "eye" for a dodgy ride...????