Defiant Thanathorn determined to continue speaking out online on political issues

snoop1130

Defiant Thanathorn determined to continue speaking out online on political issues

By The Nation

946f1b6369b0b4de15a0f2d56ed1b415-sld.jpeg

Thanathorn Juangroongruangkit

Thanathorn Juangroongruangkit, a key leader of the newly formed Future Forward Party, showed his defiance on Tuesday despite facing legal action after criticising the junta.

The tycoon-turned-politician said that he would continue making comments on political issues in his regular online broadcasts through his Facebook fan page. 

“It’s the right of everyone,” he said, adding that the content of his broadcasts would not be toned down.

Thanathorn was speaking to the media when he and other Future Forward leaders met police officers investigating an allegation that he had violated the Computer Crime Act. 

The ruling junta – the National Council for Peace and Order – recently filed a police complaint against Thanathorn and some other Future Forward figures. 

The complaint came after Thanathorn had accused the NCPO of taking advantage of other political players by making moves such as wooing former MPs while political parties are being restricted by a junta ban on political activities.

In his speech broadcast on June 29 through his and his party’s Facebook fan pages, Thanathorn also asked followers to join his campaign against what he called “injustice”. 

His move was deemed to be a violation against the law in provoking public disturbance through a computer system.

He was questioned by investigators from the Technology Crime Suppression Division (TCSD) at the Chaeng Wattana Government Complex.

In his Facebook message, the young politician said he did not think the NCPO accusation against him was convincing. 

He reasoned that the accusation was caused by a fear of change and that “people who cannot accept changes are trying to obstruct us in every way”. 

But, “Nobody can stop changes or prevent people who want to dictate their own future,” he added.

Thanathorn, speaking to the media at the TCSD, said he viewed the NCPO’s legal action against Future Forward as an acknowledgement that the party “is a force in this society”.

He did not think the legal action would adversely affect his party in any way, while none of his party’s figures were discouraged by the incident, he added.

Thanathorn, who is expected to become Future Forward’s first party leader, also accused the NCPO of attempting to postpone the next general election while restricting political activities.

He said that if the junta wanted to restrict political freedom, it should look at Cambodia, where the ruling party won all parliamentary seats up for grabs in the just-completed general election.

“If the NCPO wants to do the same, they should not hide in the cloak of democracy while acting as a dictatorship,” he suggested.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30351167

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-7-31
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, CanuckThai said:

A shining light.  I hope Thais and the other political parties see the potential in this man.

Well, it seems that the NCPO sees some potential.

That is why they are dusting off the "Computer Crimes Act".

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

Not accurate. Only felony cases to disqualify. Computer crime is not felony. If he imprisoned by some foul acts of the junta, his party will be more appealing to voters. The party will be registered eventually within the bounds of EC law. Junta pressure on him or the party will be counter productive and give the party a boost. 

Are  you sure about computer crime not being a felony? Some states define a felony as a crime that carries the possibility of more than one year's imprisonment and the Computer crime Act allows up to 5 years.

In addition Section 98 of the Constitution states:

. A person under any of the following prohibitions shall be the person who is prohibited from exercising the right to stand for election in an election of Members of the House of Representatives: (1) being addicted to narcotics; (2) being bankrupt or having been dishonestly bankrupt; (3) being the owner of, or a shareholder in any newspaper or mass media business; (4) being a person under the prohibitions from exercising his or her right to vote under section 96 (1), (2) or (4); (5) being under temporary suspension of the right to stand for election,or being a person whose right to stand for election has been revoked; (6) being sentenced by a judgement to imprisonment and imprisoned by a warrant of the Court.

25 minutes ago, bannork said:

Are  you sure about computer crime not being a felony? Some states define a felony as a crime that carries the possibility of more than one year's imprisonment and the Computer crime Act allows up to 5 years.

In addition Section 98 of the Constitution states:

. A person under any of the following prohibitions shall be the person who is prohibited from exercising the right to stand for election in an election of Members of the House of Representatives: (1) being addicted to narcotics; (2) being bankrupt or having been dishonestly bankrupt; (3) being the owner of, or a shareholder in any newspaper or mass media business; (4) being a person under the prohibitions from exercising his or her right to vote under section 96 (1), (2) or (4); (5) being under temporary suspension of the right to stand for election,or being a person whose right to stand for election has been revoked; (6) being sentenced by a judgement to imprisonment and imprisoned by a warrant of the Court.

Freedom of expression and freedom of information are not felony; period. 

21 minutes ago, Eligius said:

To be honest, I don't think many Thais would kick up much of a fuss if Thanathorn and his party were kicked out of the running. The Thais (in their millions) would be pretty indifferent to it all.

The only thing that would really rouse their fury would be if Prayut cancelled every single soap opera and blocked all Facebook, Line and Twitter feeds (got to share those vital photos and comments about food!).

Then there would be revolution.

But loss of freedom of political speech and human rights? Nah ... who gives a stuff ...

Don't confuse acquiescence, in the face of a proven track record of turning guns on protesters, both recently and over the last four decades, with acceptance.

Fear ( justifiable fear) has to be overcome, and given that track record it is a very "big ask". 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, JAG said:

Don't confuse acquiescence, in the face of a proven track record of turning guns on protesters, both recently and over the last four decades, with acceptance.

Fear ( justifiable fear) has to be overcome, and given that track record it is a very "big ask". 

The junta - no matter how bad - cannot turn its guns on MILLIONS of Thais  - or even many thousands of Thais. But the Thais never seem to realise that. In numbers lies their strength. But their yearning for human liberty and rights is clearly not that great. I sense far more outrage and fury about the denial of such rights amongst my Western friends than my Thai friends.

As I said: in their numbers (MILLIONS) lies the potential, unstoppable might of the Thai people - if they will act.

But .... they resolutely refuse to STAND UP AND FIGHT. Freedom for one's people and children demands great sacrifice - perhaps the ultimate sacrifice. The Thais en masse display no apparent willingness to make such sacrifices (unlike the British and others who fought to the death against the evils of fascism in World War Two).

And finally it has wisely been said (by patriotic American warriors of a past century) that those who prefer safety over liberty - deserve neither  ...

Edited by Eligius

Would be better to not cause any hassle with opponents.

When the time is right get out into the community,  canvas for a vote on TV and other forms of advertising. 

Let everyone know what you stand for and your policies.

But I think in the end the power and money goes to tinker with a man's mind. 

It all may be hopeless.

Wysiwyg

7 hours ago, baboon said:

Whoa! Are you having a similarly crappy night as myself?

Not "Stand up and fight" - JAG is right, there - but stand up and quietly defy. 

As said countless times, turn off that there TV on a Friday. Click 'Dislike' if you feel it safe to do so. Pointedly ignore the 'fine' men in their spiffy uniforms and EXPENSIVE WATCHES - whoops, Caps Lock stuck there.

Let them feel the seething undercurrent and go to their beds nervous of what the morrow may bring.

In short, stop kowtowing and kissing ass. Make them feel at least ruffled by public discontent...

I agree with you about the 'stand up and defy' - which is what I meant. Defiance is a form of battle against injustice. Not kowtowing to the silly rules that have been imposed. Yes, I agree. And this can be done in a myriad of ways.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

Freedom of expression and freedom of information are not felony; period. 

You're confusing an "ought" with an "is", Eric. As long as lese  majeste remains in the statute books, freedom of expression and information will be regarded as felonies. All other felonies of expression flow from this.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tomta said:

You're confusing an "ought" with an "is", Eric. As long as lese  majeste remains in the statute books, freedom of expression and information will be regarded as felonies. All other felonies of expression flow from this.

With due respect, I was referring to the context of Thanathorn and not broadly which the junta can twist to made up a felony LM crime. He was accused of disturbing the peace and a computer crime law violation. Certainly not a felony charge. 

• Like 1

On 7/31/2018 at 8:38 PM, Eligius said:

Great! Thanatorn has called out the junta as 'a dictatorship'! Now we can quote Thanatorn in this connection. He is a brave young man - standing up to bullies and defying their injustices. I doff my hat to him - again and again.

Well said, I am pleased to hear his words and the fact that it is getting up the noses of you know who, his credentials are becoming even more compelling. 

Perhaps there is hope for Thailand. 

• Like 2

On 7/31/2018 at 8:38 PM, Eligius said:

Great! Thanatorn has called out the junta as 'a dictatorship'! Now we can quote Thanatorn in this connection. He is a brave young man - standing up to bullies and defying their injustices. I doff my hat to him - again and again.

Well said, I am pleased to hear his words and the fact that it is getting up the noses of you know who, his credentials are becoming even more compelling. 

Perhaps there is hope for Thailand. 

I applaud Thanathorn, for sure, but, as usual in the Kingdom, it takes a billionaire to get any political traction (Thaksin) or evade the law (Red Bull). If Future Forward is registered, I'm laying a wager that elections will be postponed again.

The dinosaurship has crossed the line again and again. Will they give Thanathorn free rein?

Note to Thanathorn: Thank you from all Thais!

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, unblocktheplanet said:

I applaud Thanathorn, for sure, but, as usual in the Kingdom, it takes a billionaire to get any political traction (Thaksin) or evade the law (Red Bull). If Future Forward is registered, I'm laying a wager that elections will be postponed again.

The dinosaurship has crossed the line again and again. Will they give Thanathorn free rein?

Note to Thanathorn: Thank you from all Thais!

It would not surprise me if the Authorities miraculously discover some irregularity or problem with Thanathorn's application for registration of his Future Forward Party. They will throw every obstacle in the path of this (seemingly) sincere democratic and principled young man from gaining political traction in Thailand. He is a huge threat to the dinosaurship. For one thing - he actually has a brain in his head. And he appears to have some basic morality and a social conscience too. 

Can't have that!