A crime or a right? Some Danish Muslims defy face veil ban

webfact

2 minutes ago, Ks45672 said:

Why not allow 70 million UK people to wear balaclavas in public ..... 

Society has progressed and Muslims will have to conform to the standards of the free world or go back to where they came from

Ah, now your mask is slipping. 

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, taipan1949 said:

If she does not do what her husband commands she will be beaten and maybe even killed. Most of the stupid countries that have allowed muslims to invade rarely prosecute "honor killings" and if they do the guy gets a slap on the wrist.

No one is invading. 

Please quote stories where honour killings/murders result in a slap on the wrist in the West. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

4 minutes ago, taipan1949 said:

If she does not do what her husband commands she will be beaten and maybe even killed. Most of the stupid countries that have allowed muslims to invade rarely prosecute "honor killings" and if they do the guy gets a slap on the wrist.

Stupid is as stupid does. What "invaded" countries are you referring to that rarely prosecute honour killings?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Ks45672 said:

Nobody is allowed in a bank wearing a helmet, baseball cap, sunglasses or scarves

For security reasons 

Same at many immigration desks

There is no reason to make exceptions for anyone

This law is not about those things. 

There are ways of checking identity for security purposes. 

I object to a blanket ban on a choice of wearing a veil. 

I support the right to protest such a ban. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3

40 minutes ago, hyku1147 said:

Please provide academic citations: "Objective social scientist would point out to you that cultures are constantly changing and that trying to establish what is a standard is a fool's mission."

INTRODUCTION TO SOCIOLOGY – 1ST CANADIAN EDITION

As the hipster example illustrates, culture is always evolving. Moreover, new things are added to material culture every day, and they affect nonmaterial culture as well. Cultures change when something new (say, railroads or smartphones) opens up new ways of living and when new ideas enter a culture (say, as a result of travel or globalization).

https://opentextbc.ca/introductiontosociology/chapter/chapter3-culture/#section3.3.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, hyku1147 said:

" Sociologists distinguish subcultures from countercultures, which are a type of subculture that rejects some of the larger culture’s norms and values. In contrast to subcultures, which operate relatively smoothly within the larger society, countercultures might actively defy larger society by developing their own set of rules and norms to live by, sometimes even creating communities that operate outside of greater society."

Where is the 'fools  errand" passage?

Given your new found pretence of ever having attended an academic writing class, can you now at least pretend you you paid attention by providing a link to the source quotation you’ve given.

You might also read the TVF ‘fair use’ policy.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

I my opinion it's all about the right to hiding your identity vs the technology of the facial recognition. Whats the point of governments investing millions of dollars on a system that doesn't work 100% of the time.

It would not matter which religious group you belonged to, even if a bike group were wearing hoods to covered their faces they would have to comply just a minority of Muslims has to.

Big brother has his eye on everyone there is no escape until your in a pine box.?

1 minute ago, lannarebirth said:

Here's an example of what a veil looks like:

large-side-bow-fascinator-with-birdcage-veil.jpg.7aeff649038991b21a80482762445c0e.jpg

I would suggest that something that conceals the identity of a person is something more than a veil and something more akin to a mask. You are free to believe as you choose.

Just as there is more than one style of shirt/hat/trousers/insert clothing type here, there is more than one type of veil. 

5 minutes ago, TPI said:

In Birmingham the white (non muslim) population is down to 54%, check it out....be horrified!

And this is relevant how to the assertions that Muslims are already a majority in the UK?

"The UK "guests"....that were the religious minority...have now become the religious majority"

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

I agree they should be allowed to do so in their own cultural setting.  I'd like a drink in Dubai but not allowed and I accept it. I'd like to go to the Wat with shorts on - not allowed and I accept it.

You can drink in Dubai. 

A blanket ban on citizens wearing a clothing item and a ban in a place of worship are not the same thing.

You can wear shorts in most places in Thailand, there is no blanket ban on wearing them. 

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Just as there is more than one style of shirt/hat/trousers/insert clothing type here, there is more than one type of veil. 

OK, but I guess the pertinent question is, are you willing to accept government's definition of what is a veil and what is a garment that conceals one's identity?

Edited by lannarebirth