Koh Samet – The Good, The Bad and The Chinese

webfact

Koh Samet – The Good, The Bad and The Chinese

By Dan Cheeseman

IMG_0186-e1533100937603.jpg?zoom=2&resiz

The Changing Face of Koh Samet

Living in Thailand offers many benefits and one of those is being able to escape to one of the many beautiful beaches, in fact some of the beach offerings are world class.

I have always had a soft spot for Koh Samet as it was the first island I ever visited back in 2006, but in more recent years I have been disappointed in the island, in fact I have been a left a little sad by how it has changed.

Koh Samet was once a charming tiny island with dirt tracks linking the various beaches, the only access was via a ferry or occasional speed boat and you were more likely to bump into a back packer than a seasoned tourist.

Now you are more likely to literally bump into a one of the hundreds of Chinese tourists there, as on some beaches it is busier than a crowded train in rush hour.

Full story: https://danaboutthailand.com/2018/08/01/koh-samet-the-good-the-bad-and-the-chinese/

-- DAN ABOUT THAILAND 2018-2018-08-02

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I took a Thai 'gf' on a trip to Koh Samat when I first came to Thailand ( a few years later than you 2009).

Nobody there but us after 5pm or before 10am, empty restaurant tables out to the sea of an evening.

Had the complete beach to ourselves, nice clear water. Never made it beyond the fringe of trees around the beach and our hut.

I had the time of my life.

samet.jpg

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

I have since 2010 gone to Koh Samet every year for 1 week in January.

Still very happy and will enjoy the Island again in January 2019.

Maybe I am not so fossy as I am living near Pattaya all winter, with poor beaches.

Ao Prao Resort the best beach and decent tourists  !

Edited by Nielsk

57 minutes ago, Nielsk said:

I have since 2010 gone to Koh Samet every year for 1 week in January.

Still very happy and will enjoy the Island again in January 2019.

Maybe I am not so fossy as I am living near Pattaya all winter, with poor beaches.

Ao Prao Resort the best beach and decent tourists  !

Are you lazy to go somewhere nicer and worth the price ?

The thing is.. Theres loads of islands to go to, if you want the beach shack and Crusoe experience.. 

Gradually they change, electric comes, trash comes, concrete trails and basic roads get put in.. The shacks turn into cement bungalows and budget resorts, a few build pools.. It gets to a standard where they book and reserve online.. The tours come.. The crowds come.. And then you have a 7/11 and its half way to ruined. 

And the very reasons you liked that island are not there. 

So go find a new one.. There is so much undeveloped coastline.. So many places you can go and chill, on the main land or on islands, its kind of silly to complain, just adapt. 

The only legit complaint is the coral reefs I remember in the 90s are gone, bleaching and water temps probably the biggest aspect. Sure I could go diving to depths and find even that, but I did love the ease of putting on a mask and fins and just exploring a reef in swimming distance to the shoreline. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I took a Thai 'gf' on a trip to Koh Samat when I first came to Thailand ( a few years later than you 2009).

Nobody there but us after 5pm or before 10am, empty restaurant tables out to the sea of an evening.

Had the complete beach to ourselves, nice clear water. Never made it beyond the fringe of trees around the beach and our hut.

I had the time of my life.

samet.jpg

my first trip around 20 years ago !     ahhhh,  those were the days, my friend.

of course,  anything would be nice if i could go back 20 years !

• Like 2

10 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

The thing is.. Theres loads of islands to go to, if you want the beach shack and Crusoe experience.. 

Gradually they change, electric comes, trash comes, concrete trails and basic roads get put in.. The shacks turn into cement bungalows and budget resorts, a few build pools.. It gets to a standard where they book and reserve online.. The tours come.. The crowds come.. And then you have a 7/11 and its half way to ruined. 

And the very reasons you liked that island are not there. 

So go find a new one.. There is so much undeveloped coastline.. So many places you can go and chill, on the main land or on islands, its kind of silly to complain, just adapt. 

The only legit complaint is the coral reefs I remember in the 90s are gone, bleaching and water temps probably the biggest aspect. Sure I could go diving to depths and find even that, but I did love the ease of putting on a mask and fins and just exploring a reef in swimming distance to the shoreline. 

18 hours ago, marko kok prong said:

Went in 1989,like most Thai islands i visited in the 1990s have no doubt it will be ruined.

That was around the time I first went there, lucky enough to find Samet Ville then, no road there, they had a private boat from Ban Pae once a day

. I think it was B450 for a hut including breakfast, lunch and dinner. Food was fantastic

Lights out around 11pm, so just sat at the restaurant with a big bucket of large Singha on ice and a lantern

Wrote a blog a month or so ago about Ko Samet called paradise lost ithink and slated it then goes back on a long wknd holiday and complains ?

Stupid is as Stupid does. Must be running out of material.

How about going to nice quiet beach down the end of the island on Tuesday and see what its like.

Ironically probably lives in Pattaya?

On ‎8‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 11:50 AM, gaff said:

Are you lazy to go somewhere nicer and worth the price ?

Yes You are rigt I am too lazy for long rides.  I prioritise Beaches I have been to Koh Chang which also is a lovely Island, but too far away for me. Not a question about price. Pattaya -Koh Chang Taxi  5 t 35 min (277,4 km) via Rute 3. The relatively small distance between the city of Pattaya and the resort island of Samet (less than 100 km) allows very quickly and with maximum comfort to reach the destination by taxi. I am + 70 now  ! 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Nielsk said:

Yes You are rigt I am too lazy for long rides.  I prioritise Beaches I have been to Koh Chang which also is a lovely Island, but too far away for me. Not a question about price. Pattaya -Koh Chang Taxi  5 t 35 min (277,4 km) via Rute 3. The relatively small distance between the city of Pattaya and the resort island of Samet (less than 100 km) allows very quickly and with maximum comfort to reach the destination by taxi. I am + 70 now  ! 

Koh chang is a dump, only southern islands are worth going.But Samet ok also.