Pros and cons of visa agents

For long-term (in BKK):

- Yearly extensions of permission to stay (based on original Non-Imm O-A visa)
- Yearly multiple reentry  permits

- 90-day reports

What are the pros and cons of hiring an agent?  For which of the above do you still need to go to Chaeng Wattana, or can the agent do it all?   In your experience, approximately what does it cost, and is it worth it?  How to find a honest, reliable one?

Thanks.

For the yearly extension of permission to stay, you need to attend at Chiang Wattana. However, many agents can arrange priority queuing, and will ferry you there and back. This means less time waiting around. A multiple re-entry permit can be quickly added by a good agent at the same time, though it is also easy to do at the airport on your next departure from Thailand.

Agents can complete 90-day reports for you without you needing to go to CW. However, there are also options for 90-day reports online or by mail. It is unclear that using an agent is of much value compared to those methods.

If you are really wealthy, and the cost is not a consideration, using an agent for the extension might be worth it.  For most people, it only saves a bit of time and hassle. It is likely not worth the money.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chicowoodduck said:

Oh my Buddha, Visa agents are the BIGGEST rip-off in Thailand.....just do the paperwork yourself.....it is easy peasy....????

I quite agree they are parasites

Edited by helloagain
Spelling
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, BritTim said:

For the yearly extension of permission to stay, you need to attend at Chiang Wattana.

Not necessarily true.

I have a friend who went to Hull for a Non Imm O Visa, but was issued a TV instead.

He could have got the Non Imm O at London but left it to late.

On entry to Thailand he panicked so contacted a well know legal firm in Bangkok.

Within 3 days he received his passport back, Non O stamp, 1 year extension and ME re-entry permit obtained at CW.

Other than visit the firms office 2 times, he never visited  an Immigration office.

He couldn't to this day tell you where CW Imm is located.

3 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Really!

Extension 1,900 baht.

ME re-entry permit 3,800 baht.

90 day reports, posted receipts to you.

For 10,000 baht!!!

OOPS missed out the Multi entry, thought it said single,  12000baht max.

Basic 1 yr retirement extension plus 90day reports (e-mail reminders etc) plus car ride out to the IM office for the Photo for 1 yr extension all for 7,600Baht.  The longest I have spent at IMM in Promenada in CM with this agency is 11 minutes from stepping out of the car to getting back in.  I am not prepared to waste a full day at the I/O office(s) and then find some I/O wants a copy of something that is mot in the rules.

• Thanks 2

I used an agent in Bangkok to smooth the way to open a bank account. Went well. Was going to use them to get the extension based on marriage in northern Thailand but they baled out, citing rubbish excuses. We are almost through that process ourselves and while it has been a little trying, it is far from impossible.

Why skirt the law and pay 10, 12. up to  15000 baht plus plus to some dubious business operator when the actual cost is 1900 baht .

Get ready for the moaners who would not deposit the required amount in a Thai bank. The reality is the guarantees and interest rates plus refund of tax paid compares favorably with most offshore and European banks .For example the UK just raised interest rates yesterday from 0.25% to 0.75% the highest rate in a decade.

It's not rocket science to do the visa by yourself so give it a try and you will find after some research how easy it is .

2 hours ago, upu2 said:

I use an agent, have done for years. The one I use I have found to very good. Totally legit and very efficient

If you don't use your own cash deposit in the bank to obtain the visa its not legit 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, hitext said:

I love living in Thailand, but I hate dealing with the bureaucracy here. I have better things to do than sit around for hours in the immigration office, only to be sent away again to find some obscure document or other. So for that reason alone, I find using an agent much the better option. 

The key to an easy life in Thailand is knowing what documents you need beforehand, then you don't have to sit around for hours or pay an agent to do a simple task.

• Like 1

I use an agent due to complexity. I am extending my stay based on a work permit, and the documentation required for that adds up to 50+ pages, many of which I cannot, and do not want to, understand. My agent puts me at the absolute front of the queue, which has value to me, and is very close to the immigration agents, which helps smooth other any rough patches. All worth the price.

For a retirement visa, you can absolutely do this on your own. However, I always recommend using an agent for your first time. This way you can get copies of all of the documents, and walk through the process with the professional who does this for a living. This allows you to ask questions about things you do not understand, and make notes. After the first time, you should have no difficulties performing the process on your own.

As others have stated, many of these agents are scum. So be sure to get a recommendation to ensure you are getting someone reputable.

2 minutes ago, timendres said:

For a retirement visa, you can absolutely do this on your own. However, I always recommend using an agent for your first time. This way you can get copies of all of the documents, and walk through the process with the professional who does this for a living. This allows you to ask questions about things you do not understand, and make notes. After the first time, you should have no difficulties performing the process on your own.

Firstly you'd need to understand Immigration don't issue a Retirement Visa. Neither does a Thai Embassy or Consulate for that matter.

You need proof of address...………..well documented on TV.

You need proof of finances...……….well documented on TV.

Everything else should be in your passport for copying.

You need a professional to understand that!

5 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Firstly you'd need to understand Immigration don't issue a Retirement Visa. Neither does a Thai Embassy or Consulate for that matter.

You need proof of address...………..well documented on TV.

You need proof of finances...……….well documented on TV.

Everything else should be in your passport for copying.

You need a professional to understand that!

There is no such thing as a retirement visa, immigration issues extentions to your visa.