Many expats live in Thailand on less than 45,000 baht a month

rooster59

20 hours ago, Jingjock said:

You have hit the nail right on the head. All money assets still in my home country, accept my car and motorbike here. To bring big money here, very chancy, even getting it back out of Thailand

So how do you live if you have no money in Thailand? 

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, tryasimight said:

We are not all from the UK.  We are not all on a state pension.  Not all of us are economic refugees. I'm really surprised Thailand doesn't do something about this situation.  How can allowing old single men into the country be beneficial for the native population in any way? Old, single, rich men who may bring investment and help develop the country I can understand..... But poverty level refugees? 

My view is that bona fide married to a Thai should be welcomed with open arms and given an easy path to citizenship.  A retirement visa/ extension of stay should be 10 million baht. 

Just my thoughts 5555.

Yet there are sufficient accommodations for these self sufficient people.   They are not poverty level in Thailand.  Your thoughts are counter intuitive to good business.  Volume is where you make your money, and fools with B10million are in short supply. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Don Chance said:

Cooking your own food will be healthier because they add a bunch of chemicals. You can also control your appetite better by eating at set time. And much cheaper.

The problem in Thailand is too much good stuff to buy and spend money on.

If you live in Nepal, an apartment is maybe $150 a month, local veg and fish is like $3 a day. Beer is terrible so you won't need that. Local food seems to be good quality.

So Nepal is quite expensive? 

20 hours ago, TechnikaIII said:

Yes, but my Australian pension falls below the Immigration Department's requirement for a "Retirement Visa", which we all know is just a scam anyway, having to renew yearly.

The Philippines, looking more attractive by the day, requires less, permits the purchase of property after 6 months, permits one to work, and none of this 90 Day reporting bull****, and once the visa is granted, one is free to come and go from the country without additional costs of any sort. With a Retirement visa there, one is treated as a Philippine citizen.

Go figure. 

Stay in Oz mate and avoid all these scams and restrictions. 

• Like 1

It really depends on who they feed this survey to. Down here in Phuket, a lot of US expats. Can't see expats living decently down here for less 200k baht/month. Most of the expats I hang with are digital nomads/hackers getting paid San Francisco, California salary ( the highest salary on planet Earth due to highest cost of living ) to write code for US companies from wherever they want in the world. There are at least 5000 of us that I know of. Phuket is one of the top 3 places in the word to find the best hackers/ software engineers in the world. All make $500k to $2 milion USD / year ( basically Netflix and Google salary total compensation when you include the equity and bonuses ) and tax-free due to FEIE ( Foreign Earned Income Exclusion ) for US citizens and incorporating offshore in places like Singapore, BVI, and Seychelles. So, knowing what I know and how many of us there are here in just Phuket, this survey seems like a load of horse manure.

Don't believe me, here's a job post for an entry-level engineer in Phuket that I just googled. "All of our core engineers are paid in the $150,000 range or greater and we also provide our engineers the opportunity to work, all expenses paid, from our Phuket, Thailand office one month a year as a creative outlet to work and enjoy life to the fullest."  https://jobs.smartrecruiters.com/PunchAgency/103881001-react-js-developer

Edited by Rocket Hawks
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, falangjim said:

I'm sure this post will rub some people the wrong way, but if you are an educated, well-mannered, hard working expat who has been living in the country over 5 years,  and you are not living large, that's completely on you.  I wouldn't dream of working for under 80K baht a month, let alone a paltry 45K.  I have a family ... and a lifestyle to support, which include the basics: mortgage on a condo, house in the countryside, tuition for two young kids at a Thai school,  and food.  And then the trimmings which make life tolerable and enjoyable here:  a swimming pool, night(s) out on Pat-pong, cable TV, and craft beer or pizza delivery every now and then; just to name a few creature comforts.  And I put away for retirement, too.  

I get it. If you're young and single, and Thailand is just a pit-stop to bigger and better, 50K a month is enough to enjoy yourself, maybe even sock away a few bhat.  

When I see or hear about guys in their 60s who live on less than 1500 USD a month, I cringe.  *insert sad story about some tart up in Issarn and blah blah blah*  Wow.  I imagine those who live like that couldn't even take the survey because they can't afford stable Internet.  Or maybe they are banging away on a grimy keyboard in a game-room somewhere, a Fanta with a straw next to them.  

To me the survey says this group of expats don't like Thailand; they like 'cheap.'  And there is a difference. 

Sorry I could only give you one thank you for your comments.  Hit the nail fair square on the head. 

20 hours ago, PEE TEE said:

I am living on 500 pounds a months and still saving 300. hoping after brexit the exchange rate will get better. i am luck as my rent is only 6000 thb i just go out on my bicycle and visit the gym  haven't been out for a beer for the ;past 2 years. it's doable   have savings but dont want to use them . 

If that is your idea of living.......... 

2 minutes ago, tryasimight said:

Sorry I could only give you one thank you for your comments.  Hit the nail fair square on the head. 

I also entirely agree. I have three children, wife and mother in law to feed. Children go International school, we all eat, and every day too... Place a car in the picture, with all the expenses, a motorbike, because we both work and have different schedule, send some money to wife's family, send some to my family too and all in all, I can't even imagine to be able to pay all this things with less than 200k NETT a month, and yes, it includes some comfort and hobby, why not?

Thanks God we both work, sure as a faring my salary is higher than my wife's, but it's thank to her job too we meet the ends every month and we're able to save some too. When I was single (15 years ago in BKK), used to earn just a little less than today, life was much cheaper, but still I was able to spend all the money any way ?

I think this figures are realistic, 40~50 K for a long single might be enough for a decent life, maybe not luxurious, but decent. If you have a family and want to grant them a minimum standard, 150k NETT at least!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, mommysboy said:

Yes, but the cohort you are using is hardly typical of all Thais.  At the other end, there are millions of people on wages of 15k and under.

Yes, but if you followed the discussion, my comment was about starter salaries for uni grad students.

Of course everybody knows  that millions are on wages of 10k and under. 15k as you wrote is far above the minimum wage. And this is even just since a couple of years when they raised the minimum wage. Not so long ago a daily employee at the company that I work got about 6k per month. 

I think we need a 'pause' button on this thread as it's not as simple as is being suggested by some posters. There are so many variables such as 

• own or pay rent on accomodation
  • married?  kids?
  • working or retired
  • own transport
  • BKK or nakon somewhere

and those type of things.

I would respectfully suggest that a single property owner with no kids and own transport could easily live on 45k whereas a married, 2 kids at international school house renter in BKK needs double that ++

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Felt 35 said:

Wife Bachelor degree, 18 years work experience, ass hotel manager Thb 42000,- monthly + overtime etc., Sister in law, Master degree in Biology, teaching at University + outdoor research work, 4 years working experience Thb 24800,- monthly. Brother in law bachelor degree, army lieutenant (administration) Thb 18000,- monthly. 22 years in the armed forces.

Yes, teaching, tourism and the army don't pay good. 

Engineering jobs in Thailand pay much better. Mid level manager after 15 to 20 years work experience is on about 100k. Master degrees in Thailand don't do to much unless that person is chasing his or her career. I know several engineers who have a masters but don't grow that fast if don't actively push their careers. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cheops said:

Yes, teaching, tourism and the army don't pay good. 

Engineering jobs in Thailand pay much better. Mid level manager after 15 to 20 years work experience is on about 100k. Master degrees in Thailand don't do to much unless that person is chasing his or her career. I know several engineers who have a masters but don't grow that fast if don't actively push their careers. 

Who the heck would want to work that long?

• Like 1

If incomes are so high; why all the panic when proof of income other than liar letter is discussed?  And if they solely required the Thai Bank deposit for an extension, how many would not the exits?

Edited by moontang

If, as a single guy, you can't live on 15,000 bt a month in Thailand, you haven't been here very long or you've learnt nothing. The whole point is that the rest of your disposable income is for luxury decisions. Of course, if you factor in a wife, family, pick-up, house, etc. the equation changes. To live the equivalent of a Western lifestyle you need a Western income - wife, putting kids through college, red wine, cheese, single malt whisky - wouldn't argue with that. The point is Thailand is great for single guys looking for a bit of adventure, and retirees (maybe widowed) looking to maximise the benefit from their limited income. Wouldn't recommend it as a career decision though, a year in Thailand on the CV looks pretty authentic, more than that and people are going to start asking questions.

• Like 1

The only real information from this survey (with similar numbers responding to another recent survey) is that TVF active member ship is 5%  of the nonsense 300,000 claimed in the many ' advertorials' that are published frequently in the newsletter. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, tryasimight said:

How can allowing old single men into the country be beneficial for the native population in any way? 

Who do you suggest they let in ... young Western women? 

We all know how much money they share around ...555

People who come to Thailand and work and ferret money out of the country arent any more " beneficial to the native population". They take a  job  that would otherwise be allocated to a Thai as well. 

Retirees who follow the rules, so most I know  , bring in 800k to a million a year , spend it ,  and dont  plan on sending  anything home.

29 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

Who the heck would want to work that long?

People who enjoy the intellectual stimulation and satisfaction work provides. Depends on your job of course, but as an engineer I enjoy my work and gain great satisfaction of training and sharing my knowledge with other people , particularly newly graduated engineers and watching them grow and develop. It keeps me young. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Iquot70 said:

I don't get the point, really..

Exception that proves the rule. Yeah, I know a few guys who had successful careers here in Thailand. I don't have a skin in this game. So what's your plan when you retire. I'm thinking particularly of some succesful English teacher, who suddenly realised at the age of 60, he had no retirement plan, and decided to go to Saudi to build up a retirement pot. I, personally, wouldn't like to be worrying about retirement at 60, 'nough problems worrying about my health status.

2 minutes ago, zaZa9 said:

Who do you suggest they let in ... young Western women? 

We all know how much money they share around ...555

People who come to Thailand and work and ferret money out of the country arent any more " beneficial to the native population". They take a  job  that would otherwise be allocated to a Thai as well. 

Retirees who follow the rules, so most I know  , bring in 800k to a million a year , spend it ,  and dont  plan on sending  anything home.

Take money out of the equation and try and answer my question. Where is the benefit to the native population in allowing old single men into the country?  Not much that I can think of except siring children who will be fatherless by the time they start high school when the old fellow croaks it.

What an aspiration for a developing country!

Let's face it - the majority of the TVF posters seem to hate Thailand, Thai culture and Thai people. 

They are economic refugees pure and simple.  Their intelligence level is also questionable if they find that after a lifetime of work they do not have the funds to live as they choose but HAVE to move to Thailand.  Then they start saying how good life in Cambodia is when they realise the can't afford to live in Thailand. 

I guess Bangladesh will become appealing to folk of this ilk eventually. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I lived in Asia throughout the 90.s based in Singapore but worked on the SET for few years

I earned too much money really,biz class flights/apartment/5 star hotels all paid for mad days

I visit Pattaya to see mates who live there and basically waste money

Apart from hotel which costs 400 aus per night i could live on 3k a day

Having a fit younger Chinese wife in Melbourne i dont come for sex just to relax and be out late

but i buy drinks for the girls etc

i eat local food because i like it and drink singha beer so life can be had cheaply 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, ttrd said:

Some rumors says that its not free of cost to own Your own home (maintenance, common fees, Insurance) and/or car (fuel, street tax, Insurance, service, depreciation) so to omit those facts make the survey a bit out in the blue….:coffee1:

The house I live in ( the wife's)  has no common fees ( why would it) and no insurance either ( why bother it's made of brick and steel. Not likely to burn down and any storm damage is easy and cheap to repair).

• Like 1