Latest airport scam in Chiang Mai

mike graham

18 hours ago, Belzybob said:

Great idea, but in my case it doesn't work. The number is actually imprinted/embossed in the card.

No the CCV ## is not embossed on all CC or Debit cards- the CC ##'s certainly are. I just scratched off the CCV ## on all my cards and there is no evidence of the number that once was there.

2 hours ago, fanjita said:

It was good advice.  Smoking is no good and we all know it.  I'm three months smoke free and don't get accosted daily now for a fag, a quid and the shirt off my back.

Ah, an ex-smoker.

I think that all will agree that smokers know it's a detrimental habit.. As you say, we all know it.

I suspect many of us have bad habits and know they are bad.

I found the self-congratulatory smugness a bit overpowering and the friendly advice unnecessary.

What smoking has to do with money beggars and shirt stealers is beyond me, but congratulations on stopping the smoking.

2 hours ago, RocketDog said:

Ah, an ex-smoker.

I think that all will agree that smokers know it's a detrimental habit.. As you say, we all know it.

I suspect many of us have bad habits and know they are bad.

I found the self-congratulatory smugness a bit overpowering and the friendly advice unnecessary.

What smoking has to do with money beggars and shirt stealers is beyond me, but congratulations on stopping the smoking.

If you'd like to read the OP's post again, you'll find his comment on the airport scam started by him buying a carton of duty-free cigarettes.

On 8/6/2018 at 6:21 PM, Lacessit said:

If you'd like to read the OP's post again, you'll find his comment on the airport scam started by him buying a carton of duty-free cigarettes.

And...... Yes, I read the post. How would this change my reply? I was reacting to another person's smug reply and your reference to quid and shirts. I still don't get your point but you apparently think you said something sage so I'll just drop it now..

Not worth the breath.. Get it?

On 8/6/2018 at 8:34 AM, Peterw42 said:

My CC/debit and online banking app are linked, in the app I can lock/unlock the cards, turn on/off online purchases etc. When I use CC/debit to buy something online, open the app and turn on online purchases, make the purchase then turn online purchases back off. Most of the time I have cards locked in the app. Its a great feature if you are like me and often misplace a card only to find it again, you dont need to go into a mad panic and cancel cards, wait for a replacement etc. 

I presume most banking apps offer something similar. 

stolen phone?

On 8/6/2018 at 11:53 AM, Spidey said:

A carton of cigarettes, in duty free, isn't what I would class as "a low value item". Also, can be quicker. Contactless CC's are way quicker than paying with cash. I usually buy mine when transiting through Dubai, try paying with THB there! Luckily, the days of you dinosaurs are numbered!

like this u mean 

If someone tapped my arse with a card reader, I think I and everyone around me might notice.

Also very easy for the bank to follow the money.

Nice video but totally impractical for a would be scammer.

Edited by Spidey

My smartphone is open, needs no special password/code.  That's my choice.  I would think every phone has that choice.

And when i buy thru Lazada i always go COD (cash on delivery).  Leave the cash at the front desk, Lazada delivers and takes the cash.  

I use my USA credit card only for air tix, and prior to use MUST inform the bank of my travel plans, and the dates of my journey.  At any ATM, I use my USA debit card only once a month, to get cash from my Schwab bank.

I much prefer going cash here in Thailand, and everywhere else.

On 8/5/2018 at 11:15 AM, KhunBENQ said:

Another variant of the "gas station" CCV/CVV scam thread of recently.

Not much CM airport specific. Guess it's now everywhere.

Remove/scratch off that crazy dangerous three digits.

Handing over a CC/debit card with the magic number is like handing over the keys to your account.

Sad is that almost nothing happens to these guys who make millions without actually working. 

It's a great idea to get rid of the 3 digits, never thought about that. Then it's almost impossible for them to do that. 

On ‎8‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 12:01 AM, trainman34014 said:

Learned my lesson 13 years ago and since then have never used a card to buy Duty Free anywhere in Thailand and neighbouring countries; they are all thieves !

I've never used a card for buying small things, and now I guess I can say "I told you so". However, with the increased use of machines ( my bank tellers were replaced by a machine ), even I can expect to be defrauded by hackers.

Hackers are usually better at it than the people banks use to try and stop them.