I just finished a 48 hour intermittent fast (IF)

simon43

On 8/5/2018 at 8:32 AM, simon43 said:

I knew that a 48 fast would reduce my fat levels as my body 'ate itself', and I was interested to see if that would result in any visible reduction of my abs fat (yes I know that one can't spot-reduce fat, so this was just an interesting exercise for me).

Do give us an update at one month and two months.  The saying that you can't spot reduce fat is based on diet and exercise.  You are fasting which is much different according to all the latest medical research.  So perhaps it will indeed reduce the largest fat stores first.  Will be interesting to find out.

• Like 2

So perhaps it will indeed reduce the largest fat stores first. 

Well, I don't have any large fat stores anymore ?  I plan to continue these fasts (if they are of benefit to me).  I've lost about 13 Kg over the past 18 months and my focus now is on building up my upper body muscles (which are puny due to a genetic low T level) - all males in my family have this same genetic issue).

I plan on visiting Maximum Clinic when I return to Bangkok in a few months to get an up-to-date baseline assessment of my T levels etc, and to possibly plan a course of treatment to help to boost my upper body muscle, (because I want to increase this mass to give me a better chance to retain that muscle in my 60's and beyond.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, meechai said:

As for muscle loss I noticed none & on day 9 or 10? of the 16 day run I did also shovel 14 tons of 3/4" gravel at my home so it was not like I was

weak at all.

are you sure about this figure?

• Haha 1

I would be somewhat concerned at your heart rate - brandycardia is defined at 60 beats per minute or lower and you are way low at 39. Only if you have an "athletes heart" could you be healthy and for a normal person you probably need treatment, possibly a pacemaker. if you have not been to a cardiologist, go to one, especially before trying anything like this. Also, for many people of your age, cycling 20km after being without food for 24 hours might drop their blood sugar too low and cause an accident or some physiological problem.

Leaving that to one side, I am not really sure why you are fasting for 48 hours given that apart from the brandycardia you otherwise appear to be fit and healthy (you can cycle 20km) and can probably burn fat highly efficiently. The people I know who get into such fasting are people who are far less mobile than you but have to shift weight often due to diabetes or some other problem and don't have the luxury of just jumping onto a bicycle. I have heard that 24 hours fast is best for losing weight because the system does not completely lock into lower metabolism mode as a 48 hour fast might and is easier to keep to.

• Like 2

I just finished a 72 hour fast last night. I feel great. I only had a cup of bone broth with Apple Cider vinegar mixed in 3 times a day along with water. The first 24 hrs for me is the hardest.

I will repeat this 2 more times. 

I have done this before in the past and i exercise. I need to shed a few KG after the summer holidays. Been lazy.

• Like 1

I just finished a 72 hour fast last night. I feel great. I only had a cup of bone broth with Apple Cider vinegar mixed in 3 times a day along with water. The first 24 hrs for me is the hardest.

I will repeat this 2 more times. 

I have done this before in the past and i exercise. I need to shed a few KG after the summer holidays. Been lazy.

Are you in thailand ... where do you get the bone broth ?
We get it brought from Oz , but would like a local source .

Sent from my SM-T535 using Tapatalk

On 8/5/2018 at 9:34 PM, simon43 said:

I'm not sure that's true, according to the articles that I read about 48 hour IFs.  As mentioned, I haven't done any weight-training at all. I've done my usual cardio-pace cycling that I do every weekend.

As for why? my reply is why not?  I've never fasted before and so I was interested to try this out to see how my body reacted.  So far as I can tell, everything was positive, certainly no negative feelings.

I understand you decided to give it a go. I got that part. Why exactly is still a mystery, but my question "why" was about doing it every weekend as you proposed in your OP. When you're doing something highly irregular (i.e. no eating for 2 days when you have ample food supply), surely the why is far more important than the why not.

The fact that you managed to get through it OK is hardly an endorsement. I'm sure I could do it too if I needed to, but WHY would someone want to voluntarily deprive themselves of food for 2 days?

Edited by tropo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/5/2018 at 9:35 PM, FracturedRabbit said:

Opinion is that fasting is good for health.

I understand there are all sorts of opinions about most things.

Here's my opinion. Fasting will not kill you, but it won't benefit you either. It certainly won't benefit a hard-working athlete.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, dickjones2018 said:

Don't you love those people with comments about things they know nothing about like this one ?

Saying someone else knows nothing doesn't validate your own bs.

• Like 1

The re-emerging abs is most likely loss of visceral stomach fat

For me, it seems to be due to a combination of losing the fat layer and also increasing the abs muscle size.  I don't have much visceral stomach fat anyway, and my abs work-out programme is giving a clearer definition between the muscles.

My 48 hour fast dropped my weight by about 1.5 Kg, which of course is dropping fat from many areas of my body, not just the abs region.

Edited by simon43

On 8/5/2018 at 8:32 PM, simon43 said:

I can see 48 hours fasts being a regular weekend activity.

What, with the Premiership starting again. No way. The only fast I shall have is the speed I down my Singhas !

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, FracturedRabbit said:

I thought the video provides some answers to the "why"? If not, there are endless articles and videos out there which suggest fasting is good for you. Personally, I also do it because I feel good while fasting, it's a relaxed and "light" feeling.

I'm sorry, but I'm not watching videos. I understand there are countless opinions all over the internet about the benefits of fasting, but it's all opinion and very subjective. Most people are suggesting "why not fast", rather than giving some scientific reasons why one should. And even if you can provide some scientific evidence to suggest fasting has some benefits, is 48 hours better than 36 hours or 24 hours or 12 hours (for example). Let's get scientific about this. Have you recent scientific studies to show? 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, tropo said:

I'm sorry, but I'm not watching videos. I understand there are countless opinions all over the internet about the benefits of fasting, but it's all opinion and very subjective. Most people are suggesting "why not fast", rather than giving some scientific reasons why one should. And even if you can provide some scientific evidence to suggest fasting has some benefits, is 48 hours better than 36 hours or 24 hours or 12 hours (for example). Let's get scientific about this. Have you recent scientific studies to show? 

The video you refuse to watch references a number of sources, e.g.: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3106288/

Also a Harvard study : https://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2017/11/intermittent-fasting-may-be-center-of-increasing-lifespan/

• Like 1