Denied entry at SUVARNABHUMI Airport visa on arrival refused advice plz

2 minutes ago, Belzybob said:

This issue isn't about stopping tourism or visa issue to bona fide tourists; its about people trying to enter for other reasons.

Ok, so a stamp in a passport that state you don't have money to support yourself but you have $1000 cash with you etc. Where is the valid reason and proof that you not coming on holiday? 

The essence on proof is vested with the traveller. If the IO believes that there is an intent to remain in the country for longer than allowed or there is an intention to work, it is up to you to prove it to the IO's satisfaction.

It doesn't matter if its Thailand, the US, UK, Singapore or elsewhere. If they form a reasonable suspicion, then they won't let you in. Its becoming evident that they are tightening things up and more and more non-tourist entrants will be getting the bird.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RyanWalker said:

Ok, so a stamp in a passport that state you don't have money to support yourself but you have $1000 cash with you etc. Where is the valid reason and proof that you not coming on holiday? 

It's just a fact that the OI and probably his boss have the power to and  have decided it. There is not a lot that can be done about it.

4 minutes ago, Belzybob said:

The essence on proof is vested with the traveller. If the IO believes that there is an intent to remain in the country for longer than allowed or there is an intention to work, it is up to you to prove it to the IO's satisfaction.

It doesn't matter if its Thailand, the US, UK, Singapore or elsewhere. If they form a reasonable suspicion, then they won't let you in. Its becoming evident that they are tightening things up and more and more non-tourist entrants will be getting the bird.

Right so the IO have all the power. Thats it.

• Like 1

Just now, Belzybob said:

You've got it.

Any genuine tourist will probably breeze through; but if somebody is suspected to be otherwise, then expect problems.

Of all of the recent threads here on the topic, I have yet to see one about a genuine tourist being rejected.

Mate, feel free to post the proof of the Uzbec lady who got refused. She might be a 'real' tourist but the OI maybe had 

an arguement with hubby and had a bad day. It is what it is.. no point discussing it. The IO will decide whats what. I have 7 years of TV never got refused anything so 

1 hour ago, lkv said:

VOA has not been abused by many over the years.

VOA stands for Visa on Arrival, costs 2,000 baht, is issued upon arrival to 21 nationalities including Uzbekistan, and upon entry it gives a permission of stay of 15 days.

However, until you make it to the counter, there is staff checking everybody's exit ticket (within those 15 days), so that's what the OP may have been missing.

I know what it stands for my friend.  Most of the Eastern European working girls have them! So do many of the Eastern European males working here illegally.  if that is not abuse,  then I dont know what is. 

1 hour ago, overherebc said:

'If' anything is on a might change radar it would probably be the 30 day visa exempt.

Most likely possible change would be it being limited to Asean countries only and all other countries requiring a visa prior to arrival.

Won't happen tomorrow though.

that as well,

13 hours ago, Briggsy said:

Yes, this topic is repeating over and over. They have denied entry under the "no means of supporting himself" section of the law.

In reality, he has spent too long, in the opinion of the immigration officer, in Thailand on Tourist Visas.

If he flies to Vientiane or Penang, he can probably enter by land.

Yes

13 hours ago, tenzo said:

By the way my friend did carry $1000 cash but was not asked about money.

I find it rather surprising, then, that she didn't at least volunteer this info off her own bat once she realised that obstacles were going to be placed in the way of her entering Thailand.

1 hour ago, Belzybob said:

Of all of the recent threads here on the topic, I have yet to see one about a genuine tourist being rejected.

Bingo.  And I just bet all these people being rejected are writing "30 days" or "60 days" on the arrival form where it asks how long they expect to stay i.e. the full length of time of the permission to stay they hope to receive.  How many genuine tourists stay exactly the number of days the permission to stay issued for?  That has got to be a red flag for an Immigration officer, especially when someone has a history of staying for the full 30 days / 60 days multiple times already back to back!

Edited by mstevens
  • Like 1

Why though? I have been here for 6 years on TV. Point is they are selective. So no advice will really work tbh.
You get judged by imm officer, and they decide. Thats it

Spot on. I have a friend who travels on Visa exempt 8 times a year and has done so for the past 4 years with no issues. I travelled 6 times in one year and got asked loads of questions and told to get a visa or next tine I would t be allowed entry.

Meanwhile he’s still travelling........

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 minute ago, Kadilo said:

Spot on. I have a friend who travels on Visa exempt 8 times a year and has done so for the past 4 years with no issues. I travelled 6 times in one year and got asked loads of questions and told to get a visa or next tine I would t be allowed entry.

Meanwhile he’s still travelling........

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

What length of time (in a year, total) did you and he spend in Thailand? Do you spend significantly longer?

6 hours ago, ChakaKhan said:

Yikes! makes me nervous as I'm arriving in 10 days--always buy One way tix and clear the hurdles...get my 30 day stamp and extend that--then head to laos for the actual double visa and extend those for a 6 month stay > or <..

Anyone see any issues with my approach as I dont want to come with visa and lose those free 30+ days.....  ??

I do realize its a gamble as leaving the states without a visa has raised a few questions at the airport one way tix

I flew in to Thailand on the mid July, it is my 12th tourist visit in 3 years with 2 extensions on that, the lady at immigration looked over my passport as though it was the latest gold jewellery catalogue.

I was a little anxious as I had heard they were cracking down on and refusing some entries, she asked if I had a Thai wife, too which my reply was yes, I wasn’t required to verify that as I had a home address on my immigration card and not a resort or hotel address ( not sure if that made the difference) there was also no mention of money on me or a return ticket, no other questions were asked.

They could of refused me on a technicality that I’m not a legitimate tourist.

If immigration  are hot on an issue then they all want to land a fish, in your case there’s nothing wrong with having friends in Thailand and in Laos and having holidays in both, just make sure your all over your story and remember you are on a “tourist”visa, therefore if pulled into question the  story needs to be around tourist adventures, so I would plan a sightseeing tour around Thailand in your mind so you have a clear understanding of what and where you are going (weather you do it or not is a different story), just be on the front foot just in case questions are asked.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Pilotman said:

It is getting increasingly clear that VOA is going to slowly but surely become a restricted visa entry that is only going be granted if the reason is absolutely clear cut, such as  transiting through BKK or attending a meeting/ or a short stay of a few days .  The  Thais are even advising families on short summer holidays to get a Tourist visa before entering.  Best to think  of VOA as no longer a viable way to enter the country.  Unfortunately, the VOA has been abused by many over the years, using it for long term residence, or working illegally, now it is coming home to roost and one can hardly blame the Thai authorities for that. 

You can blame the Thai authorities, for not doing enough to deter people coming here and working illegally, I believe that in some cases brown envelopes spring to mind, if every person coming to Thailand who was intending to work illegally knew there would be drastic punishments handed out if caught, I think there would be a very different story here.

Again unfortunately, this is just another case of Thai authorities not enforcing their own rules, and really hunting down the illegal workers, instead of hounding decent tourists under fifty who do want to stay here in the long term, and are happy to contribute to the countrys economy.

Maybe another reason for the Thai authorities reaction to all this is they want as many longterm under fifties to spend the 500.000 Baht for the Elite Visa which brings up that old chestnut again that they really do not want us here, only our money.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, overherebc said:

Then the obvious option is a cheap 500,000 baht Elite 5 year visa.

Cheap?? 500.000 Baht and still contributing to the Thai economy, with nothing in return to show for it when the five years is up.

24 minutes ago, Belzybob said:

What length of time (in a year, total) did you and he spend in Thailand? Do you spend significantly longer?

Nope. Exactly the same. We both work identical work patterns and visited Thailand on our time off. Both stayed for approx 2weeks every time. 

4 hours ago, overherebc said:

So many like to disregard the fact that the IO at point of entry has the final say and once he/she has decided it will take a bit of convincing with a higher level IO to change that. My quess is a 50% chance.

To use an old UK expression, if the IO doesn't like

'the cut of your jib' 

Yes, and we all know what a nice uniform and some authority can do to these people.

• Sad 1

"My friend" wouldn't happen to be an attractive female, would she? Possibly immigration officers have been told about the problem at the "Grace" hotel?  There are a well behaved group of attractive Russian "Tourists" in Pattaya who seem to NOT to be a neusince (can't spell).

3 hours ago, Belzybob said:

You've got it.

Any genuine tourist will probably breeze through; but if somebody is suspected to be otherwise, then expect problems.

I am reading of tourists being rejected here on Thaivisa all the time, OK, we all know that in some cases the IOs are correct to reject some tourists, but neither you nor I know how many tourists deserve to be rejected and how many do not.

All I am saying is the under fifties who want to stay in Thailand long term are being given a raw deal.

2 hours ago, Pilotman said:

I know what it stands for my friend.  Most of the Eastern European working girls have them! So do many of the Eastern European males working here illegally.  if that is not abuse,  then I dont know what is. 

Of course it is abuse, but instead of really doing something about it, the Thai authorities are just harassing innocent people.

• Confused 1

29 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Cheap?? 500.000 Baht and still contributing to the Thai economy, with nothing in return to show for it when the five years is up.

It is the price that should be paid if a person wants to use Thailand to reside in and has no other visa option, the contribution to the economy is negligible in the big picture. (I pay more than the cost of this in income tax per year and get nothing in return, again the cost of working here, as it would be in any other country)

12 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

All I am saying is the under fifties who want to stay in Thailand long term are being given a raw deal

In what way are they getting a raw deal? The options are there if they choose to purchase, I really do not see why anyone thinks that they have the 'right' to reside in Thailand (or any other country) without doing this through the correct steps.

To be fair though, what Thailand does need to do, is clarify through law, in other words, state, very clearly, that tourists are restricted in staying for xxx amount of days per year, this where the whole issue of this thread stems from, as there is no properly declared limit and immigration have the discretion to put their own spin on to it, mind you, the UK does have very similar as well and a person could be refused if the border control officer decides that a person is residing in the UK using visit visas despite there being no actual yearly limit in days.

Edited by Mattd