Denied entry at SUVARNABHUMI Airport visa on arrival refused advice plz

17 minutes ago, lionroar said:

I was never asked about funds, not sure how they came to that conclusion.

Is there a exclusion period from entering with this standard entry denial ? 

That is a clause they often use. Others have tried to show proof but it made no difference.

There is no set period before you can try entering the country again.

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, lionroar said:

Similar thing happened to me.

I was refused at BKK 24th Aug, stamp

is attached that I received (no idea what it says). I was taken to detention for about 24 hours to leave by the same airline i came in on which was Vietjet. I couldn’t fly out on another airline that night or early next morning, they told me it was the policy, policy of who I don’t know -

so I waited it out until the afternoon. The detention room was full about 12 people in the men’s cell. Cost per night 743baht plus 100baht for food , 100 baht per cigarette you desire. I guess they confiscate the smokes for a reason upon entry! 

I was coming back from Vietnam to get my second SETV for the year. I have a Australian passport. For me it was the two overstay stamps by a few days before extending each SETV that set off alarm bells for the IO.

Ran my name through the computer, then found all my previous Toursit stays from

2014, photos and all of each entry came up.

I dont work here illegally, though try explaining to IO you work online from

Australia and not working here illegally just enjoying the cheap lifestyle. 

Most of us under 50’s aren’t going to pay for Elite if we can get away with it, let be honest now. 500,000 is a lot of beer money! 

I have no complaints they did there job

So just to clarify, you tried to enter on a SETV obtained in Vietnam or visa exempt?

How many SETVs and visa exempts (and extended) do you have in your current passport if you don't mind me asking?

Edited by lkv

1 hour ago, lkv said:

So just to clarify, you tried to enter on a SETV obtained in Vietnam or visa exempt?

How many SETVs and visa exempts (and extended) do you have in your current passport if you don't mind me asking?

Thats correct, tried to enter from Vietnam on SETV

All good, I had only 1 SETV that was used and had applied for the 2nd. 

I will go through my passport and list what I have:

My previous passport earlier this year had less than 6 months expiry, I got a new one

1. Very first stamp in PP is a stamp that says my previous passport number 

2. First entry stamp was border crossing Cambodia, visa on arrival 26th march - 24th April. This was extended for 1 month and left the country 22nd may

3. Flew to Ho Chi Minh - visa approved 23rd May - SETV, entered BKK 26th May. Went to Chaengwattana 25th July to get extension. Extension approved until 23rd Aug. For this extension I got a overstay of 1 day stamp in PP. 

4. 21st Aug left to Hanoi - approved in Hanoi for SETV 22nd Aug. 

5. Attempted my entry on SETV 24th Aug - refused entry. 

Vietnam let me back in the country a second time in 1 week. The airline held onto my passport until immigration in Vietnam. It was Saturday morning and I had to pay for a emergency visa, I arranged a VOA service who met me in Vietnam who went into deeps talks with immigration. I think without the service I paid I would of been refused into Vietnam and sent back to Australia. 

13 hours ago, lionroar said:

Similar thing happened to me.

I was refused at BKK 24th Aug, stamp

is attached that I received (no idea what it says). I was taken to detention for about 24 hours to leave by the same airline i came in on which was Vietjet. I couldn’t fly out on another airline that night or early next morning, they told me it was the policy, policy of who I don’t know -

so I waited it out until the afternoon. The detention room was full about 12 people in the men’s cell. Cost per night 743baht plus 100baht for food , 100 baht per cigarette you desire. I guess they confiscate the smokes for a reason upon entry! 

I was coming back from Vietnam to get my second SETV for the year. I have a Australian passport. For me it was the two overstay stamps by a few days before extending each SETV that set off alarm bells for the IO.

Ran my name through the computer, then found all my previous Toursit stays from

2014, photos and all of each entry came up.

Most of us under 50’s aren’t going to pay for Elite if we can get away with it, let be honest now. 500,000 is a lot of beer money! 

FE7040A5-7EBD-4C87-95AE-C2983815905C.jpeg

19A966ED-1923-40BE-B7CF-DBCFEFBAA68C.jpeg

C405F50F-2D7A-4263-8E8E-CD18C5F8C4D4.jpeg

Interesting pics!  Looks like a Hiso Hostel with nice beds!!  Esp at that price!!! They charge u?!!!  Not surprised.

I entered 2 weeks ago and was nervous as I always come one way and go for 30 day stamp..done so since 2008 and was at least happy to see hardly anyone at immig lines..maybe 4-5 deep...smiled..chatted up one of the bosses and as always said I come to study mediation in Cm.....pretended to speak Thai as my PP shows Ive been doing this for a awhile...but I heard the CHUNK of the stamp and I said to myself IM IN!  Arrived from TPE before lunch on 17th

As I dont work but come here as well to live a cheap simple life and return home to work after a visa--6 months...

No. You can try to enter again. Depending on where you try, you can expect another interrogation. If you fly to Vientiane, and enter by land at Nong Khai, you will likely be OK. Udon airport is then not far away, and has domestic flights to many parts of Thailand.

• Like 1

Yes, working an "under the table" job illegally in Thailand is not most Westerner's idea of a good time.  The only exception are some English teachers - a field where native-speakers are needed. 

The "cheap lifestyle" you enjoy here equals jobs and business-income for Thailand - a Win-Win for both you and Thailand.

Of course most are not either extremely-wealthy (so it is chump-change) or foolish enough (harming one's savings) to buy a 500K temporary visa - especially when one could move to Vietnam, The Philippines, Cambodia, or most of Latin America - where one would be welcomed simply for coming to spend one's foreign-sourced capital - no need to pay a hefty-price for permission to do so. 

You could live well for a good while on that sum.  For me and my Thai Wife, it's about what we spent for a year living in a beachfront condo in Jomtien and living well (eating out, movies, travel, etc).  If single in Cambo or Vietnam - even longer (and the beer is dirt-cheap in Cambo, if that's your thing).

Their job is to enforce laws on the books - not make up non-existent reasons for denial, then stamp something unrelated in your passport.  They had no legal reason to deny your entry - provided you are not a threat to the well-being of Thai people (I am guessing not), and have the money/income to fund your stay (I'm assuming you do).

My primary "complaint" would be, if you do not stay in Thailand, all the money you were injecting into the Thai economy is lost - harming Thai businesses and reducing jobs for locals.  It is as if immigration is working to serve the interests of the Vietnamese Chamber of Commerce - and/or on a vendetta of some kind - and/or paid by some entity(ies) to take this counterproductive action.

12 hours ago, lionroar said:

I was never asked about funds, not sure how they came to that conclusion.

This is normal at both Bangkok Airports and the Poipet/Aranya land-border crossing.  The stamp is just the excuse - not any sort of honest assessment or the "real reason" you were denied entry. 

12 hours ago, lionroar said:

There is no exclusion period from denial-of-entry.  It is not a "deportation" per-se, and no "ban" period is attached to it.

4 hours ago, lionroar said:

I think without the service I paid I would of been refused into Vietnam and sent back to Australia. 

Others have reported being returned to Vietnam on rejected-entry to Thailand without issue.  Malaysian officials have been reported to apologize for Thailand's unfriendly reception, when people were sent-back to them.  Other countries with sane immigration systems seem to pity those who are the victims of the Thai system.

--------------------

The good news is this:  This crazy behavior is limited to only some entry-points, and your existing visa is likely still use-able (unless it has "USED" or "VOID" stamped on it).  All land-border crossings except Poipet/Aranyaprathet will let you enter the country with a valid Tourist Visa.  The only caveat, is that some points (from Malaysia, per reports) will ask to see 20K Baht worth of cash (can be another currency or travelers checks). 

Therefore, to avoid trouble in the future, just avoid the airports and the one bad land-border for entry, and - per all reports for years - you will have no issues.  Others have and continue to spend time in Thailand using Tourist Visas.  

Entering this way has another distinct advantage - if you ever had a problem, you would never be stuck in detention - just turned around to cancel your departure-stamp from the other country, and on to your guesthouse - before returning via another checkpoint (that hasn't gone insane) a day or two later. 

You may get some questions on your next entry.  The stamp claims you didn't have money, but explain you were not asked about money, and show them the 20K Baht (more is better) you have in cash, and ideally a bank-statement showing more - so it was all just a big mix-up / misunderstanding.  Be as good-natured about your mistreatment at the airport as you can muster, and you should be fine.

BritTim suggested Friendship Bridge from Vientiane.  That would be a good choice. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 8/6/2018 at 8:40 AM, Pilotman said:

how about just get a tourist visa? Far easier than this list. 

My friend had a visa from Italy, to many stamps in passport he has a private income. they refused to believe he don't work here,taken to a cop shop when he insisted on phoning his embassy they let him in. 3 month later refused a visa in Laos, even made him write down what he does all day (2 months ago). flew back got one month + extension now he must leave Thailand again. believe me he don't work ! or want to.????

5 hours ago, brianthainess said:

My friend had a visa from Italy, to many stamps in passport he has a private income. they refused to believe he don't work here,taken to a cop shop when he insisted on phoning his embassy they let him in. 3 month later refused a visa in Laos, even made him write down what he does all day (2 months ago). flew back got one month + extension now he must leave Thailand again. believe me he don't work ! or want to.????

well two different Asian countries didn't refuse him entry for nothing, so it must be something.  

11 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

I will be flying in from Sri Lanka on a visa exempt (Thai embassy in Colombo do not issue SETVs for non residents). How much money should I carry with me... is it 10k or 20k ?

Thanks

The requirement is at least 10K if a visa exempt entry.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, RickG16 said:

I will be flying in from Sri Lanka on a visa exempt (Thai embassy in Colombo do not issue SETVs for non residents). How much money should I carry with me... is it 10k or 20k ?

Thanks

The rule is 10K for Visa-Exempt.  But, some IOs have been reported to tell people it is 20K and deny-entry, so I would bring 20K worth of cash and/or travelers-checks - which can be in any exchangeable currency.  They could also ask to see a flight out within 30-days.  Note that these are unlikely to be asked unless you have a history of stays in Thailand.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Can u help me with a querry for same problem..( i am from india)

I was refused visa on arrival in same situation .. was having all documents but denied at land border through cambodia..

They stamped my passport,, with section 12, 4 i.e no means of living in thailand, however i was visiting first time.

Now i have got a new passport (re issued with old passport number on its back page).

I want to know if thailand or australian( applying for aus PR) can find out this denial in idence if they put in my old passport number..

13 minutes ago, Indianguy said:

Can u help me with a querry for same problem..( i am from india)

I was refused visa on arrival in same situation .. was having all documents but denied at land border through cambodia..

They stamped my passport,, with section 12, 4 i.e no means of living in thailand, however i was visiting first time.

Now i have got a new passport (re issued with old passport number on its back page).

I want to know if thailand or australian( applying for aus PR) can find out this denial in idence if they put in my old passport number..

Denial under 12.4 is; “Being mentally unstable or having any of the disease as prescribed in the Ministerial Regulations.”

Thailand can/do usually link the new and old passports and records.

IO’s at land borders do not always formally record the denied entry. The fact that your passport got stamped suggests they probably did. If they did, and your passports get linked, your denied entry will be seen by Thai immigration whenever you enter. Being denied once does not mean you’ll be denied again.

I don’t see how Australian authorities can know about the denied entry. Although they might ask you to declare it when applying for visas for their country.

7 minutes ago, elviajero said:

Denial under 12.4 is; “Being mentally unstable or having any of the disease as prescribed in the Ministerial Regulations.”

Thailand can/do usually link the new and old passports and records.

IO’s at land borders do not always formally record the denied entry. The fact that your passport got stamped suggests they probably did. If they did, and your passports get linked, your denied entry will be seen by Thai immigration whenever you enter. Being denied once does not mean you’ll be denied again.

I don’t see how Australian authorities can know about the denied entry. Although they might ask you to declare it when applying for visas for their country.

I am realy sorry if i got the section wrong but it was not appropriate means of living in kingdom.. not the 4.

And i am not worried about thai , as i dnt want to visit there again after last experience, but only for other countires.

for aus visa they ask in form 80 if i was refused entry to any country.. thats why i am confused. If they put in my passport number, and as i read here that all travel details are available in thai system. Plus the countries share their immigration information these days. 

Edited by Indianguy

18 hours ago, Indianguy said:

for aus visa they ask in form 80 if i was refused entry to any country.. thats why i am confused. If they put in my passport number, and as i read here that all travel details are available in thai system. Plus the countries share their immigration information these days. 

In the Thai system, they just need name and date-of-birth, not passport # - it's how they link old and new passports in their system.  No idea when/if that would be shared with Australia.