Millions of followers - farang in North Thailand a massive hit with the Thais

webfact

24 minutes ago, zaphod reborn said:

I can empathize with his plight of not being granted Thai citizenship.  He probably can't meet the ridiculous income requirement (proof of taxes paid on at least THB 80,000/mo of income for 3 years).  If he has community support, and is not a burden on the state, he seems like he would make a stand-up foreigner admitted as a citizen.  Thai bureaucracy is stuck in the 19th century.

ridiculous? no it's not. my mrs has a uk passport and they wanted to know finances. 80,000 is only about 1,800 GBP a  month. 3 years. i mean come on? is that too much to ask. that's driver and service salaries in many countries.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

9 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

he's doomed. anytime a Farang makes the news about two weeks later there is a story about how that person's life is now ruined.

He's been in the news/on TVF before, trying to raise his profile with government officials to get Thai Citizenship. 

https://news.thaivisa.com/article/18102/video-american-desperate-to-be-thai-so-why-would-buffalo-thais-want-to-be-americans

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, CiaranKL said:

2000 euro a month

Hardly over the top.  There are rules and if you wish to be one a citizen then you follow them.  

Well said. Unfortunately, there are always some who believe that a country should throw open its doors to  those who live hand to mouth.

nope. what is a thai salary? for example i have a thai mate who's a VP at a large international bank here on over quarter million a month, i also have friends working for not much more than 10k a month

most farangs i know in my industry start on a basic of 100,000k a month plus bupa and bonuses etc.

yes, i have a wife and kids and no i don't work here anymore, got business in europe.

and yes i could have got citizenship here the same way my mrs has in the uk. honestly, just couldn't be bothered at the time and now can't as my businesses are in the uk.

doesn't really matter as once i've sold our house in spain there's a good chance we'll be moving to croatia

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, simoh1490 said:

You're confusing the issues - 80,000 baht a month puts that person in the top five percent of workers on salaried income in Thailand. 1,800 GBP may be  driver and service salaries in the UK but certainly not in Thailand!

And 1,800 GBP a month is far from the maximum state pension unless it's tripled! So whilst a younger person who is still working can easily afford those numbers, a retiree who has been living here for say fifteen years on fixed income, probably will struggle.

you posted same time as me mate

• Like 1

1 minute ago, holy cow cm said:

Sorry but you need to take a better look at it. It's too ridiculous and only a very very few are granted it. I personally know one old foreigner who has it from years back. He was a diamond dealer from the UK. Paid a million I think. Cash hoop jumping for the palm. 

Agreed, the numbers are very very low.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

Oh, so you think the elite wealthy are only entitled to be inline of citizenship? That won't happen either as are excluded. For me it is not the money but the ridiculous hoops. I have Thai kids 17.5 and 15.5 years old with a step daughter I raised for 19 years living HERE with the same woman for 20+ straight years. The other over half dozen years was with another woman.. So I disagree, it is ridiculous impossible Overly Expensive hoop jumping, and set up for the one's employed here. No heart in it at all. Rather racist. No, not to the hand and mouth or ones who just retire here with not so much vested, but to well deserving people.

i understand what you are saying but i have to agree with the thais

10 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

Oh, so you think the elite wealthy are only entitled to be inline of citizenship? That won't happen either as are excluded. For me it is not the money but the ridiculous hoops. I have Thai kids 17.5 and 15.5 years old with a step daughter I raised for 19 years living HERE with the same woman for 20+ straight years. The other over half dozen years was with another woman.. So I disagree, it is ridiculous impossible Overly Expensive hoop jumping, and set up for the one's employed here. No heart in it at all. Rather racist. No, not to the hand and mouth or ones who just retire here with not so much vested, but to well deserving people.

I sympathize also but I agree you have to see the Thai point of view on this, there's no mileage or benefit to Thailand whatsoever by handing out citizenship to the average older foreigner.