Bangkok's Dusit Zoo To Close Forever In 3 Weeks

webfact

Dusit Zoo To Close Forever In 3 Weeks

By Chayanit Itthipongmaetee, Staff Reporter

30171012_701994323304126_550954080614457

Photo: Dusit Zoo / Facebook

BANGKOK — It’s time to say goodbye to Thailand’s oldest zoo.

Authorities on Tuesday announced the definite closure of Bangkok’s Dusit Zoo by the end of this month, over 75 years after it opened. A new facility is being constructed north of the capital in Pathum Thani province.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/featured/2018/08/08/dusit-zoo-to-close-forever-in-3-weeks/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2018-08-08

• Like 1

2 hours ago, secondfusilier said:

Good and about time, all zoos, animal farms and safari parks in Thailand should be closed down.

Most zoos worldwide have had incidents and accusations of not treating their animals correctly but Thai zoos money making tourist attractions bring this to a new level and they bring no educational value to their visitors.

The only exemption should animal farms that are not open to the public, for example a snake farm for milking snakes to produce antivenom.

It's quite shocking to see how badly wild and often endangered animals are treated in captivity in a country were you could be sent down for kicking a soi dog.

So you are saying that all wild animals in the world should be seen only in photos in books and not studied or seen as real animals.What a stupid statement.

• Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, AsiaHand said:

So you are saying that all wild animals in the world should be seen only in photos in books and not studied or seen as real animals.What a stupid statement.

No, I did not say that, I stated that all such facilities in Thailand should be shut down.

Why do you feel the need to twist my words?

It looks like it is you making the stupid statements.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, secondfusilier said:

It's quite shocking to see how badly wild and often endangered animals are treated in captivity in a country were you could be sent down for kicking a soi dog.

it is shocking. I went to Ao Manao about two months ago and they had some deer looking animals  (don't think they are deer) that seemed to have mange and also an ostrich which might have 20% of the feathers left in the same enclosure (probably got mange too)

and they got soldiers sitting in a small shed selling those pellets to feed them which are likely to be the crappiest food you can give them (herbivores)

they are in bad shape.

Edited by kekalot
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

What will now happen to the land vacated? No doubt some property speculators are already drooling at the opportunities for them to build more shopping malls, depressing housing etc. I really hope it remains as a lovely park as it is what Bangkok needs. There are way too many of the others. Unfortunatly, after seeing the way other areas of BKK are going, I won-t hold my breath expectin something sensible. I do, however, hope the new zoo - vasrly larger - will cover all the aspects a modern zoo needs to do, and not be subject to all the Thai officialdom thet usually accompanies projects like this. 

6 hours ago, secondfusilier said:

Good and about time, all zoos, animal farms and safari parks in Thailand should be closed down.

Most zoos worldwide have had incidents and accusations of not treating their animals correctly but Thai zoos money making tourist attractions bring this to a new level and they bring no educational value to their visitors.

The only exemption should animal farms that are not open to the public, for example a snake farm for milking snakes to produce antivenom.

While I agree that conditions and treatment need to be improved, how many animals have been saved because some kid visited a zoo and decided to work with animals and for conservation causes?  Sucks for the critters in captivity.  But I'd bet a lot more species would be extinct if there were no zoos, and no way for kids (and big kids) to fall in love with live animals.   

Abstract concepts are hard to get excited over.  Get up close to a real tiger or an elephant, and you'll never forget how impressive they are.

• Like 1

For those who are making this about animal welfare consider this.

'Now it seems that the 1,000 or so animals in the Dusit Zoo will all have to be transferred to other zoos around the country because not even the plans for the new zoo have been drawn.'

Can not confirm source and will be happy to retract if found to be in the wrong.

1 hour ago, impulse said:

While I agree that conditions and treatment need to be improved, how many animals have been saved because some kid visited a zoo and decided to work with animals and for conservation causes?  Sucks for the critters in captivity.  But I'd bet a lot more species would be extinct if there were no zoos, and no way for kids (and big kids) to fall in love with live animals.   

Abstract concepts are hard to get excited over.  Get up close to a real tiger or an elephant, and you'll never forget how impressive they are.

Yes, I can agree on all of that.

However, Thailand zoos, crocodile farms, safari parks, etc are well below the acceptable par and still treat their animals like a Victorian sideshow would.

There seems to be no governing body to control what happens in these places.

I still believe that zoos and reserves should exist,  but until Thailand learns that the animals are not a commodity, then not here please.

I am not an animal activist but boxing orangutans are not my cup of tea.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Famous Bangkok zoo about to shut after 80 years

By The Nation

0d25f8e7f499fb714c89901fb68e69ce.jpeg

File photo: Dusit Zoo

Animal lovers have less than a month to visit Dusit Zoo on Rama V Road, which is closing its cages after 80 years.

The zoo has reported to its Facebook page that it will shut by the end of August, following a long-time plan to relocate its animals to a new site in the Klong 6 area of Pathum Thani’s Thanyaburi district.

His Majesty King Vajiralongkorn has donated the new site, which is about 300 rai of land and three times larger than the present zoo.

The move ensures the animals will have a better environment and quality of life. 

Consultant companies have already surveyed the area in order to make sure meet the international standard.

“The Dusit Zoo will be open … until the end of this month and the animals will be relocated to six others zoos nationwide that are under Zoological Park Organisation,” said the Facebook statement.

“They are Khao Kheow, Chiang Mai, Nakhon Ratchasima, Songkhla, Ubon Ratchathani and Khon Kaen Zoos.”

Before Dusit Zoo was opened to the public in 1938, it was the private zoo of HM King Rama V, who ordered its construction in 1895 and named it Khao Din Wana, a name commonly known among Thais until today. The name was changed to Dusit Zoo in March 1938.

It houses around 1,000 animals and attracts 2 million visitors a year, generating Bt130 million in income.

The relocation of the animals will be supervised by experts to meet international standards, the Facebook page said.

For those wishing to visit Dusit Zoo in its final days, you are more than welcome. For more information, please visit the DusitzooThailand Facebook page or call information chief Paowana Wongmaneewan at 02-281-2000 or 02-280-7698 during business hours.

The authorities will next Tuesday notify the public the exact details relating to the zoo’s transfer.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30351744

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-8-8

9 hours ago, secondfusilier said:

And who will breed endangered animals? If not open to the public, who will finance?

How does it come that captive animals live significantly longer?

I only agree with you on places where animals are used for entertainment (elephants carrying logs from left to right, tigers posing with visitors). Or look at Orang Utan rehab centers in Borneo or Sumatra.

Edited by bermannor
Addition

1 hour ago, secondfusilier said:

However, Thailand zoos, crocodile farms, safari parks, etc are well below the acceptable par and still treat their animals like a Victorian sideshow would.

I still believe that zoos and reserves should exist,  but until Thailand learns that the animals are not a commodity, then not here please.

Some rare animals are commodities! Look at China and the panda bears.

6 hours ago, greeneking said:

I am happy if animals can be treated well.

This change is happening because someone wishes to reclaim land for themselves that had been made available for public benefit.

Can you proof that? Please quote.

8 hours ago, balo said:

I don't think 

That will never happen , even if many agree with you ,  as long as the animals are taken good care of I have no problems with it. 

Unfortunately in Thailand we know that's not the case.  Chained up elephants is a good example. 

We ??? You mean "you"! Elephants are chained in most zoos during the night, even best zoos. Do a research about it. Elephants are used as working animals for centuries (Laos, India etc) and they are always chained when not on duty!

Edited by bermannor
Spelling
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, balo said:

I don't think 

That will never happen , even if many agree with you ,  as long as the animals are taken good care of I have no problems with it. 

Unfortunately in Thailand we know that's not the case.  Chained up elephants is a good example. 

Is this a chained elephant? You spread fake news!

Screenshot (42).png

2 hours ago, secondfusilier said:

Which public zoo you did see that?

10 hours ago, webfact said:

Authorities on Tuesday announced the definite closure of Bangkok’s Dusit Zoo by the end of this month, over 75 years after it opened. A new facility is being constructed north of the capital in Pathum Thani province.

So what happens to the animals in the mean time?

Served to the Chinese? :huh:

3 minutes ago, greeneking said:

No. I can not. It would be very unwise. Watch and see.

You mean wait and see? Why would it be unwise to give such an iformation?

But may be it gets back to Crown property which doesn't mean ut will not be used commercially.

12 minutes ago, Happy Grumpy said:

So what happens to the animals in the mean time?

Served to the Chinese? :huh:

From the original article ...

The zoo’s hundreds of species will gradually be transferred to a new location in Khlong 6 of Pathum Thani’s Thanyaburi district, land designated by King Vajiralongkorn late last year. The space covers 300 rai (48 hectares), three times more than the current location.

and ...

“The Dusit Zoo will be open … until the end of this month and the animals will be relocated to six others zoos nationwide that are under Zoological Park Organisation,” said the Facebook statement.

“They are Khao Kheow, Chiang Mai, Nakhon Ratchasima, Songkhla, Ubon Ratchathani and Khon Kaen Zoos.”

Edited by chickenslegs