Industrial estates confident repeat of 2011 flooding won't take place this year

webfact

Industrial estates confident repeat of 2011 flooding won't take place this year

PNECO610808001000301.jpg

AYUTHAYA, 8th August 2018 (NNT) - The Joint Standing Committee on Commerce, Industry and Banking (JSCCIB) estimates that flooding this year won't match the magnitude of 2011 but has nonetheless urged that measures be taken to protect industrial estates such as those in Ayuthaya province. 

The water situation in Ayuthaya province has remained in a manageable range with drainage progressing efficiently and precautions in place for the urban, farming and industrial sectors. 

Ayuthaya Governor Sujin Chaichumsak has met with business representatives to assess the water situation and gave an assurance that industrial estates will not be impacted by floodwaters. He mentioned that the province is currently performing maintenance on the sluicegates surrounding industrial zones and expects to complete repairs on all six gates within 15 months, fortifying industrial estates in the province’s east against flooding. 

Thai Banking Association and JSCCIB Chairman Pridi Daochai announced today that while assessments have shown the water level in Thai dams is higher than in 2011, a repeat of the major flood that year is not expected, as the high levels are concentrated in western and eastern dams rather than northern and central region dams. Evaluations have also indicated that this year’s storm season will be less severe than in 2011.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2018-08-09

13 minutes ago, webfact said:

expects to complete repairs on all six gates within 15 months

best tell the imminent rainy season that  "can it  hold off for 15  months then"

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, webfact said:

Evaluations have also indicated that this year’s storm season will be less severe than in 2011

because  predicting this is what................3-4  days in advance at best

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JAG said:

Generally speaking in this country water flows from North to South - yes? 

There is an awful lot of water making it's way towards Ayutthaya. The rainy season has another two months to run - yes? 

And the sluice gates and flood defences for the industrial area will be repaired in 15 months - yes? 

Oh dear... 

Your right, but and its important to know.. more so for me then you. Currently a lot of the water is traveling north through an other river as the one connecting to BKK. The one that flows to BKK is still not too high and manageable. So that means this news is somewhat reliable but things can change. I really keep up to date about this because I would hate a repeat of 2011. This time I would move out in time.

(option 2 is to buy a pump and wait it out again like last time.. last time I had no pump.. but I think with a pump things would be doable if its not more as last time)

Edited by robblok

8 hours ago, kannot said:

best tell the imminent rainy season that  "can it  hold off for 15  months then"

Obviously, they didn't start work on these repairs after last year's flood. Left it to the last minute again!

7 hours ago, JAG said:

There is an awful lot of water making it's way towards Ayutthaya. The rainy season has another two months to run - yes? 

Are you sure? The floods in the eastern area will not run into the Chao Phraya River.

7 hours ago, kannot said:

"imminent rainy season"? We've been in the rainy season for three months already, and there are three more months to go (August, September, October). I'm wondering if some of the steps Yingluck's government took were slow-walked so the bureaucrats wouldn't be accused of being too loyal to her. I would expect to see that in America.

I live in Lopburi province, with the   Passak dam, now they have opened all the gates on the dam, not a lot but it is draining the Passak dam. now, the river Passak flows in the Choa Parya river at Ayuthaya, the dam gates have been open for a week, so now water leaves in Ayuthaya must have gone up now not a problem, but as has been said the rainy season has another 3 months to go
 I suppose the idea is get rid of water from the Passak dam before the main rains come at the end of this month? and by the end of the rainy season, the dam should be full.

This is the first time the dam gates have been opened in August, they must be afraid of floods in the near future.

One of the aims of the  Passak dam was to help prevent flooding in Ayuthaya, which still floods every year.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, ukrules said:

I seem to remember they were pretty confident back in 2011 as well and we all know how that turned out ?

Don't forget there were drought conditions for a few years after 2011 - we really haven't had that much rain where I live in Udon this year, no where near as much as last so far, 2 more months to go here, hopefully there is more rain and the reservoirs fill up ? 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, kickstart said:

I live in Lopburi province, with the   Passak dam, now they have opened all the gates on the dam, not a lot but it is draining the Passak dam. now, the river Passak flows in the Choa Parya river at Ayuthaya, the dam gates have been open for a week, so now water leaves in Ayuthaya must have gone up now not a problem, but as has been said the rainy season has another 3 months to go
 I suppose the idea is get rid of water from the Passak dam before the main rains come at the end of this month? and by the end of the rainy season, the dam should be full.

This is the first time the dam gates have been opened in August, they must be afraid of floods in the near future.

One of the aims of the  Passak dam was to help prevent flooding in Ayuthaya, which still floods every year.

Thank you for this, kickstart. The Chao Phraya in Ayutthaya is not exceptionally high at the moment and is flowing pretty fast. Opening the gates now should have a positive result in the long term.