And so the exodus of quality expats begins. This time it's personal

8. 34

Indian Woman Strips in Defence Against Theft Claim

9. 38

Are Older Men in Thailand Trading Love for Financial Ruin

10. 165

Ukraine ... Enlighten yourself

11. 2,488

Thai gov. to tax (remitted) income from abroad for tax residents starting 2024 - Part II

12. 165

Ukraine ... Enlighten yourself

13. 25

Israeli Interrogator Warns of Continued Violence as Long as Hamas Leader Sinwar Lives

14. 72

A good hotdog

Police in Pattaya attempt to calm the storm - but Thai public not satisfied over heavy handed cops

webfact

Police in Pattaya attempt to calm the storm - but Thai public not satisfied over heavy handed cops

4pm.jpg

The father at the center of a viral video went with his lawyer to talk to Bang Laming police yesterday.

Thara Welajaeng, 35, had been having lunch peacefully with his daughter when his estranged wife arrived at Muang Pattaya 6 school.

She had told police that he did drugs and was armed.

A scuffle broke out and Thara was dragged away forcefully in a police pick-up after a lot of cops and military men descended on the school.

In what many are calling a heavy handed approach to a problem the father of two was hauled away in full view of teachers and students.

Thara explained to an inquiry yesterday that he had been having lunch with his youngest daughter. He saw his estranged wife and went upstairs to check on his eldest daughter.

He was confronted by police but they found no drugs or a gun.

Then trouble flared as his estranged wife's father allegedly hit him and there was a melee.

He told police he split up with his wife five years ago and looked after the children. But she wants them.

There has been trouble of this nature at least three times before, reported Pattaya News.

He admitted doing drugs as a teen, but that was twenty years ago.

Pol Capt Anocha Nanthachai who led the police and army team to the school said he had received reports of drugs and a weapon from the wife.

They found no evidence of this but after trouble broke out between the father and the ex wife's family police had to do something to stop the situation escalating.

Thara said he wants to formalize custody in court.

And he may press charges against his ex and her family for assault and making false accusations.

Meanwhile many posters on Facebook wondered where was the wife in the inquiry.

They believe the police went over the top and should be held accountable for the excessive use of force.

Bang Lamung chief Pol Col Jakthip Pharaphanthakun presided over the meeting.

Source: Pattaya News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-08-09

A report  of a gun at a school !!!!!...and the father feels violated....its a shame when people use this tactic as revenge...charge them both!!!

Edited by mok199
speliings

7 minutes ago, Esso49 said:

Appears to be an historical fact that  she was an unfit Mother as the father has custody, but also proof again, if any more is needed, that Thailand has a completely unfit police force.   

and what may I ask should the police do when a report of a gun at a school is called in....

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Esso49 said:

Appears to be an historical fact that  she was an unfit Mother as the father has custody

You appear to have misunderstood. This is an informal arrangement. Very often in Thailand, the father gets the daughters and the wife the sons. Another factor is which family has the higher social status/income/government job. It is often not done through courts and lawyers but through family and village discussion.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Find out first whether there really is a gun involved .

i doubt you to would post that comment in say ''chicago'' or even ''london'', but in Thailand its ok,so our children here are not as important.Explain to me why a gun threat at a school in Thailand is not as serious ....not cool sir

Edited by mok199
speliings
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, smedly said:

charge the father with what exactly, seems to me he was absolutely nothing wrong except taking care of his children

yes''hes cool'' ...i was just ranting...but she needs to know ''do not use the system to get revenge with your hunsband''',many of us have been their .....thanks for the poke in the side

5 minutes ago, mok199 said:

i doubt you to would post that comment in say ''chicago'' or even ''london'', but in Thailand its ok,so our children here are not as important ....not cool sir

I don't dispute your comment, but once the police have established that there was no gun and no drugs either, it should be time for them to be questioning if the accuser has made a valid complaint, instead of forcefully dragging an innocent man away. In Chicago, or London, the cops would have the wisdom and experience to work out the truth of the matter. Here though, they just arrest you at the drop of a hat.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, mok199 said:

i doubt you to would post that comment in say ''chicago'' or even ''london'', but in Thailand its ok ....not cool sir

Although I was talking about THIS story in particular , and I wasnt talking about another story in Chicago or London .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ThreeEyedRaven said:

I don't dispute your comment, but once the police have established that there was no gun and no drugs either, it should be time for them to be questioning if the accuser has made a valid complaint, instead of forcefully dragging an innocent man away. In Chicago, or London, the cops would have the wisdom and experience to work out the truth of the matter. Here though, they just arrest you at the drop of a hat.

yes sir...i don't often side with the ''thai police''but in a situation at a school and potential weapons....it must be treated as a '' real and present danger''.....have a good day sir

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Esso49 said:

Substantiate it.  Or are you American by chance ?

555   close....I just see this world we live in with so many unhinged people with religious and or personal motives....and I have a 4yr old in school in pattaya ....schools seem to be the soft targets in Thailand.i don't often side with the police in Thailand...I am really one of their biggest critics ..but this time in this situation, I say '' remove the threat '',then we can have coffe and donuts and talk about the ex wife''...have a good day sir

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

You appear to have misunderstood. This is an informal arrangement. Very often in Thailand, the father gets the daughters and the wife the sons. Another factor is which family has the higher social status/income/government job. It is often not done through courts and lawyers but through family and village discussion.

Forget the justification  and hearsay and what maybe could , rather read other posts by Thai Visa first. There was a statement that 

"He explained that he had split up from his wife five years ago and for the last three years has had custody of the couple's two daughters. His wife did not like that and rather than resorting to the courts to get justice had gone to Damrongtham, the government watchdog."

So based on that there seems to be a reasonable consideration that indeed he did have custody after 3 years passing !  Did I actually state it was a court ordered judgement ? You can have voluntary custody agreed and witnessed, exactly as I had decades ago, and that was not a "cowboy village/family agreement" as suggested by yourself, so  hence my statement is correct. So moving on what exactly was the purpose of your post other than to contradict a factual statement in order to increase your already high postings count,  rather than to offer any useful substance to the posting subject matter ?

1 hour ago, mok199 said:

and what may I ask should the police do when a report of a gun at a school is called in....

Lots of people have a firearm in Thailand so caution needs to be shown, however to even the dumbest RTP a father sitting eating with his child is hardly grounds for a SWAT assault. Sue their @sses. 

Edited by Jerry780
spelling

1 hour ago, darksidedog said:

Aside from anything else, it confirms a clear problem in Thailand and Pattaya especially, that when a complaint is made, the police treat the accusation as gospel truth and go out with the intent of arresting a proven criminal, rather than actually investigating a possible suspect. Accusations against them of being too gung ho are entirely accurate.

There are two sides to this coin actually. I agree with you that they should investigate more. But if he really had a gun and started shooting in the school we would all have said that they should have acted faster. 

But this is Thailand and we have no school shootings.. if it was the US I could understand they heave handed actions more as its a regular thing over there. 

1 hour ago, mok199 said:

555   close....I just see this world we live in with so many unhinged people with religious and or personal motives....and I have a 4yr old in school in pattaya ....schools seem to be the soft targets in Thailand.i don't often side with the police in Thailand...I am really one of their biggest critics ..but this time in this situation, I say '' remove the threat '',then we can have coffe and donuts and talk about the ex wife''...have a good day sir

Neither one of you make any sense, remove what threat the guy didn't have a gun or maybe your talking about the exfather-in-law who attacked him

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mok199 said:

A report  of a gun at a school !!!!!...and the father feels violated....its a shame when people use this tactic as revenge...charge them both!!!

"Thara explained ... He was confronted by police but they found no drugs or a gun."

... and then they arrested him!

Edited by sweatalot

2 hours ago, mok199 said:

Check the claim and check the situation - as they did

"Thara explained ... He was confronted by police but they found no drugs or a gun."

But  ... then they arrested him instead of the assaulting father in law!

Well, he's still living and can pursue civil litigation.  In the US he would have been summarily shot after which the police would be cleared of any wrong doing because the word 'gun' was used in the compliant by his estranged wife.  At least the BIB aren't there yet thank God.  Actually, the Thai BIB are usually pretty good at deescalating situations like that as opposed to what we've seen here.  Maybe the Pattaya police are embracing Western policing tactics?  Now if they'd just put cops in patrol cars and enforce traffic laws with the same enthusiasm...... ?

Edited by connda
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, mok199 said:

And "prey tell" what would you charge the father with.?  Being an ex-druggie 20 years ago in a school yard with kids. Oh my god . GET A LIFE. 

This woman is certified nuts. Police should possibly look at records as this is not the first time she has caused a major problem without basis. Obviously trying to milk Daddy. She's not only nuts but is certifiyingly(sic) insane.