UK voters should make final Brexit decision if talks with EU collapse: poll

webfact

18 hours ago, oilinki said:

The elderly, the pensioners, the people who voted leave are all going to be dead rather soon.

Should the rest of UK people listen to these grumpy folks, who made an effort to show their middle finger for the last time?

Can you provide me with your source for stating that I'm going to die soon?  I'm only 50, and if, as you state with such certainty, I'm going "to be dead rather soon", I'd really like to make the most of the little time I have left.  p.s. If you know the date and time I'm going to die (from your source) it would be appreciated if you could provide me with that information too.  Ta.

• Haha 1

Labour Party (at conference) today said that they would vote down May's Chequers deal or any tweaked version.  They also said that they would support a peoples vote on the deal if the party voted for that.  There is some confusion though over whether that would include a remain option.  McDonnell says no and Starmer says yes.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BwindiBoy said:

Can you provide me with your source for stating that I'm going to die soon?  I'm only 50, and if, as you state with such certainty, I'm going "to be dead rather soon", I'd really like to make the most of the little time I have left.  p.s. If you know the date and time I'm going to die (from your source) it would be appreciated if you could provide me with that information too.  Ta.

Not sure 50 counts as old and certainly not a pensioner.  If a an early end appeals then riding a motorbike in Thailand may well do the trick ????

8 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

Not sure 50 counts as old and certainly not a pensioner.  If a an early end appeals then riding a motorbike in Thailand may well do the trick ????

Are you saying that Oilinki using a second comma instead of a semi-colon is the cause of my panic? Perhaps he should be more careful with his posts in future. ????

6 hours ago, oilinki said:

The problem with that plan is that it's not fair for the EU. 

Having a member who is hanging at a door means that EU can't really go forward towards future.

It's best if we get this rather sad episode of European history over with. That way both sides can start creating a future for each of us. 

It doesn't harm anyone, and would allow for a seamless transition.  A real deal can be negotiated at leisure, an informed vote taken on it, and the problem is solved.

I would actually say thay we should leave asap and adopt the EFTA model.

36 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

Labour Party (at conference) today said that they would vote down May's Chequers deal or any tweaked version.  They also said that they would support a peoples vote on the deal if the party voted for that.  There is some confusion though over whether that would include a remain option.  McDonnell says no and Starmer says yes.

Yes and according to the BBCs political correspondent they will increase the possibility of a No Deal should they do this. But they have alienated the Jewish community and they will also alienate over half the country, I always thought Starmer was a smart guy.

Edited by vogie

37 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

Thank God at least one party is beginning to formulate a sound strategy. It does them credit- without a sound plan we can not possibly leave- to think otherwise is crazy.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, vogie said:

Yes and according to the BBCs political correspondent they will increase the possibility of a No Deal should they do this. But they have alienated the Jewish community and they will also alienate over half the country, I always thought Starmer was a smart guy.

The matter under discussion is a second referendum.  I don't see how any Jewish voter would confuse voting Labour with the second referendum.

The startling thing about Brexit is that it did not neatly follow party lines

5 hours ago, sandyf said:

Not quite the same context, but as I said, keep looking closer to home.

You said there had been no quotes brought out from Heath. He was as close to home as anyone then and he deceived most of the electorate, unfortunately. 

Part of the link below:

http://www.theeuroprobe.org/edward-heath-and-a-letter-from-the-foriegn-commonwealth-office-1972/

"In a BBC interview in 1990 Heath was asked if he had known all along that Britain was signing up to a federal European state, he replied, ‘Of course, yes’." 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dunroaming said:

Well being as Eurosceptic Corbyn is secretly ecstatic that we voted to leave, and McDonnell is Corbyn's right hand man, I'd say Starmer will lose this one.

1 hour ago, BwindiBoy said:

It's just this week's issue of The Morbid Report.  

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, nauseus said:

It's just this week's issue of The Morbid Report.  

For gods sake less of the morbid some people need lessons in happy.

Once upon a time, in central city, there was a butcher named Barry. Barry loved to chop up meat more than anything in the world. But one day, when Barry got tired of just chopping up cows and pigs...
He found something new to chop up-- PEOPLE. And so, he went out night after night in search of fresh meat.
Eventually, Barry was caught, but not before he had slaughtered 23 victims!!! For terrorizing the poor people of central city, Barry was sent straight to the gallows...And everyone else lived happily ever after!”

See it's easy 

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

The matter under discussion is a second referendum.  I don't see how any Jewish voter would confuse voting Labour with the second referendum.

The startling thing about Brexit is that it did not neatly follow party lines

I know what the discussion is about, Labour is after an early General election and aliating the Labour supporters that voted to leave the EU is not smart or do you think that all Labour voters voted to remain. They have said that they will vote againgst any leave proposal put on the table by the Conservatives, but as the BBC correspondent stated it will only increase the possibility of a No Deal.

10 minutes ago, vogie said:

I know what the discussion is about, Labour is after an early General election and aliating the Labour supporters that voted to leave the EU is not smart or do you think that all Labour voters voted to remain. They have said that they will vote againgst any leave proposal put on the table by the Conservatives, but as the BBC correspondent stated it will only increase the possibility of a No Deal.

Nobody save a few right wing nuts is going to blame Labour or anyone else for doing what is right and sensible. 

It's touch and go whether Labour is electable.  But probably more so than the Tories.

Edited by mommysboy
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

Life expectancy progress in UK 'stops for first time'

Life expectancy in the UK has stopped improving for the first time since 1982, when figures began.

It' only a matter of time before somebody blames this on Brexit...????

Austerity- I guess.

it's one way of keeping down pension costs!????

Edited by mommysboy

2 hours ago, vogie said:

A no deal will be the end of the government and a temporary halt to the Brexit process I reckon.  Quite simply no deal/crap deal will not be acceptable to most normal people.

As I wrote, Brexit voting did not follow party lines. Any decision by any party is likely to please 50% at the expense of the other half.

A Binary vote on the nature of the deal is not the same as another referendum on Brexit, ie, Do you accept the Government's plan for Brexit? Yes/No. Or: Do you prefer the Norway Model or no deal? Norway Model/No deal

I suppose if it were a flat rejection by an extremely large majority, then that might be a signal to halt Brexit.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, vogie said:

65% of labour voters voted to remain, which is roughly 2 out of 3, they are more likely to lose vote by supporting leave than remain. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tebee said:

65% of labour voters voted to remain, which is roughly 2 out of 3, they are more likely to lose vote by supporting leave than remain. 

61% of Labour constituencies voted leave as opposed to about 75% of Conservative. 

But I'm happy they have given you a lifeline to cling to.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tebee said:

Misleading statistic there. The percentage of interest is not the number of voters, but the number of constituencies. Most labour MPs represent constituencies that voted to leave. They will therefore lose a massive amount of seats by voting to support remain, unless public opinion has changed.

• Like 2

the final decision over whether to leave the European Union should be taken by the public in a referendum

Noway!!

Britain

want get out.  Get out!

if you dont   like the  deal,you vote?

No way ... we as Eu members can vote to maybe accept you again . at our terms and condition.

Britain alwys stoppedEu from moving forward , there  some other countrys would be happy and pleased to join the EU , and makes more sense , than keepig a country without big intention to stay

Britain is not so important , like it thinks

12 hours ago, nauseus said:

You said there had been no quotes brought out from Heath. He was as close to home as anyone then and he deceived most of the electorate, unfortunately. 

Part of the link below:

http://www.theeuroprobe.org/edward-heath-and-a-letter-from-the-foriegn-commonwealth-office-1972/

"In a BBC interview in 1990 Heath was asked if he had known all along that Britain was signing up to a federal European state, he replied, ‘Of course, yes’." 

If you use the words "You said" , you should quote what was said, not post what you think was said. Common practice on this forum to separate a piece of text from the context of the sentence. 

The quote you user previously was not in context. The text could not be construed as deliberately misleading at the time it was said, that came with hindsight.

The report posted is obviously biased but if Heath did in fact say that it would be a lot more relevant, but of course came nearly 20 years after the event. I haven't seen it before but confirms what I have been saying for a long time.

Now maybe now you can explain to us why deceitful actions by the EU are so much more important to brexiteers than deceitful actions by the UK government.

At the end of the day, however it came about, history has shown that Heath's actions were in the best interests of the country. Public opinion is not always right and the reliability of such opinion is directly related to an understanding of the point in question.

Since joining the EEC in 1973 the UK economy has come from recession to the 5th largest by GDP, how much better do you think it would have done alone.

• Haha 1