UK voters should make final Brexit decision if talks with EU collapse: poll

webfact

5 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

Stop possible second referendum on E.U. membership

There is a growing band of people that want to reverse the result of the democratic vote of this country to leave the European Union and are calling for a second referendum. This is mainly by the people that lost the vote two years ago and cannot accept the democratic vote of the majority decision.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/226071

The referendum would be on the deal!

Stop possible second referendum on E.U. membership

There is a growing band of people that want to reverse the result of the democratic vote of this country to leave the European Union and are calling for a second referendum. This is mainly by the people that lost the vote two years ago and cannot accept the democratic vote of the majority decision.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/226071

You are actually calling for a debate in Parliament about their being a second referendum - has this been thought through?

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, SheungWan said:

Hard Brexiteer business understanding:

brexit antenna.jpg

Pure gold! This is the way to react and talk about brexit. That's also one of the things EU will miss after brexit. Good ole English humour. 

5 hours ago, CanterbrigianBangkoker said:

You should be a professional satirist with comments like that! Or should I say... comedian? ???? 

It was a good writing, no?

3 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

I used to work in a brit. company with many subsidiaries in other companies - and they had no problem bringing in a few well-paid/anticipated 'high flyer' employees (from non-eu country subsidiaries) to provide them with experience in GHO.

You're trying to turn a 'non' problem' into a 'problem' - when it comes to well-paid, intelligent people - who have mostly always been able to easily obtain employment visas when they are offered jobs in the uk, or elsewhere.

The problem has always centred around non-skilled workers paid the minimum wage (at best) - which has badly affected the poorest paid brit. workers, and 'trickled up' the chain.  Which has proven to be far more effective than the 'trickle down' theory!

My reply was to the claim there is no need for foreign scientists to come to UK after brexit. That's really, really wrong way to think of the future development. 

Yes, it's obvious that the people with PhD's and salaries over 30.000 pounds are allowed to come to England to work in their fields. The question is more of, who want anymore to come there? How is the funding of basic research secured? How complicated the process is for multinational deals? Hint, most of the current scientific studies are done in multinational teams. Also hint, EU has become a major player in the field of sciences.

There is a lot of facts i this video. I can't bother to search the good parts for you, as I don't think brexiteers would bother to watch the video as it doesn't proclaim the thought they are supporting. The people who believe in sciences instead of dogmas, however like to see both sides of the conversations. Hint 3, as a scientist talks, there is also talk about the possibilities brexit brings. Perhaps you would like to watch it for that reason?

Btw. Did the other guy got really drunk at the end of the video? He certainly sounded like one ????

If thats the case then all the remoaners will sign it as well

Can’t see it making a lot of difference along with the 200k petition to rescind Art.50 if Vote Leave broke Electoral Law, 145k asking for a referendum on the final deal, 141k to leave EU immediately or 113k to ensure a leave option is included in a parliamentary vote.

Get the feeling these petitions don’t really have much effect.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

30 minutes ago, Grouse said:

So you agree that there is no clear, obvious and major benefit? No pot of gold in return for the risk?

Do you understand that the size of the risk and the size of the benefit are closely linked?

I don't wish to take such a huge risk for such a tenuous benefit. There's a whole sub branch of psychology which deals with exactly this issue.

The issue is exacerbated because there are guaranteed losses (rebates and opt outs for example) but no guaranteed gains.

Brexit is an idiotic idea.

Some people get an endorphin buzz from taking a risk - extreme mountain bikers for example. Good luck to them!

Some people like pontoon. Twist?

How about Russian roulette

No, I want to see a huge benefit for significant risk. Or at least a small benefit for a small risk

This is not worth it 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oilinki said:

My reply was to the claim there is no need for foreign scientists to come to UK after brexit. That's really, really wrong way to think of the future development. 

Yes, it's obvious that the people with PhD's and salaries over 30.000 pounds are allowed to come to England to work in their fields. The question is more of, who want anymore to come there? How is the funding of basic research secured? How complicated the process is for multinational deals? Hint, most of the current scientific studies are done in multinational teams. Also hint, EU has become a major player in the field of sciences.

There is a lot of facts i this video. I can't bother to search the good parts for you, as I don't think brexiteers would bother to watch the video as it doesn't proclaim the thought they are supporting. The people who believe in sciences instead of dogmas, however like to see both sides of the conversations. Hint 3, as a scientist talks, there is also talk about the possibilities brexit brings. Perhaps you would like to watch it for that reason?

Btw. Did the other guy got really drunk at the end of the video? He certainly sounded like one ????

30,000 bless

3 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Some people get an endorphin buzz from taking a risk - extreme mountain bikers for example. Good luck to them!

Some people like pontoon. Twist?

How about Russian roulette

No, I want to see a huge benefit for significant risk. Or at least a small benefit for a small risk

This is not worth it 

Brexit is like Russian roulette, except their are no empty chambers........... best aimed at the foot, then

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mommysboy said:

How has the democracy inherent in the Brexit vote served Scotland and Northern Ireland? Anyone can see the format was unsuitable. At best it should have been a super majority, and a block vote. Why continue with something which is inherently poor?  For the sake of some abstract notion of democracy... no way.  We need to get real- sometimes the effect before our eyes says all.

But wasn't the Scottish referendum simply to stay within the UK or to become independent? Exactly the same as the Brexit referendum. And of course the SNP who called the vote and lost now want another one to reverse that democratic decision. If they win this time then those who voted remain have the right to call for another referendum ad infinitum.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_independence_referendum,_2014

A referendum on Scottish independence from the United Kingdom took place on Thursday 18 September 2014.[1] The referendum question, which voters answered with "Yes" or "No", was "Should Scotland be an independent country?"[2] The "No" side won, with 2,001,926 (55.3%) voting against independence and 1,617,989 (44.7%) voting in favour. The turnout of 84.6% was the highest recorded for an election or referendum in the United Kingdom since the introduction of universal suffrage

• Like 1

6 hours ago, tebee said:

well, as an outsider I find it interesting to follow the Brexit developments,

don't have much personal interest in the outcome though

one point though, I do hope I will never see UK back in EFTA

(and, I am actually pretty sure that a EFTA/EEA membership would frustrate UK no end)

9 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

The Scots were told that the only way to secure EU membership was to stay in the UK; to leave the UK was a guaranteed means of leaving the EU and, possibly, not being allowed to return. 

who told you this fairy tale?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mommysboy said:

You know the incredible mess Brexit has caused.  This is something that will go on for years and decades.  Scottish devolution is a similar situation. To blithely say it would be done swiftly and talk about it in such vague terms shows you have learned nothing from even recent history. 

To even talk about what Scotland wants ignores the fact that about half wouldn't want it, and, as pertinently, large regions within Scotland were staunchly pro-UK to the extent that they were prepared to remain part of the UK and not Scotland.

if you desire to be perceived of being somewhere in the vicinity of seriousness I suggest you quite simply refrain from

commenting on what  I might /  might not have learned,

you are not qualified to comment on that as you know f*all  about it

I  am not sure what you are talking about, Scotland leaving UK or joining EU - or both - or smth else

my point was;

assuming the UK  will Brexit in March

if Scotland should opt to leave the UK after that, or before for that matter - doesn't really matter

I am fairly confident Scotland would be able to join EU  reasonably swift if that were her wish

would have consequences of course,

euro up north

schengen up north

hard borders here and there

the waffle from Spain I don't take seriously at all

EU refusing Scotland membership would be a nail size gigantic in EUs coffin

10 minutes ago, billd766 said:

But wasn't the Scottish referendum simply to stay within the UK or to become independent? Exactly the same as the Brexit referendum. And of course the SNP who called the vote and lost now want another one to reverse that democratic decision. If they win this time then those who voted remain have the right to call for another referendum ad infinitum.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_independence_referendum,_2014

A referendum on Scottish independence from the United Kingdom took place on Thursday 18 September 2014.[1] The referendum question, which voters answered with "Yes" or "No", was "Should Scotland be an independent country?"[2] The "No" side won, with 2,001,926 (55.3%) voting against independence and 1,617,989 (44.7%) voting in favour. The turnout of 84.6% was the highest recorded for an election or referendum in the United Kingdom since the introduction of universal suffrage

I think the point I was making was that some people have learned little from the Brexit folly.  If there were to be a future referendum on Scotland the format could never be the same again to avoid the type of mess we have with Brexit ,eg, a 60% majority and a core number of regions agreeing.  You have to learn from mistakes.  

It's a pity, in my opinion, that this can't be retrospectively added to the Brexit vote????

The other thing is that the Scottish referendum produced a decisive result.  Both referenda were billed as once and for all, which in political terms usually means once every 30 years or so.

I really hope we don't have anymore- not ever again- unless it's on tea vs coffee.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

I think the point I was making was that some people have learned little from the Brexit folly.  If there were to be a future referendum on Scotland the format could never be the same again to avoid the type of mess we have with Brexit ,eg, a 60% majority and a core number of regions agreeing.  You have to learn from mistakes.  

It's a pity, in my opinion, that this can't be retrospectively added to the Brexit vote????

The other thing is that the Scottish referendum produced a decisive result.  Both referenda were billed as once and for all, which in political terms usually means once every 30 years or so.

I really hope we don't have anymore- not ever again- unless it's on tea vs coffee.

But the Brexit referendum was 2 years later than the Scottish one and followed the same format.

Now if we assume that the next referendum requires a super majority (put your own figures here) what happens if neither side reach that super majority?

Does it fall back on the previous referendum or do they vote again and again until one side wins?

If the Remain (Brexit side) wins does that mean that the leave side can have another referendum as the score would be 1 all?

The same rules would have to apply for a Scottish referendum including age limits and ALL voters born in Scotland and not just living there.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

if you desire to be perceived of being somewhere in the vicinity of seriousness I suggest you quite simply refrain from

commenting on what  I might /  might not have learned,

you are not qualified to comment on that as you know f*all  about it

I  am not sure what you are talking about, Scotland leaving UK or joining EU - or both - or smth else

my point was;

assuming the UK  will Brexit in March

if Scotland should opt to leave the UK after that, or before for that matter - doesn't really matter

I am fairly confident Scotland would be able to join EU  reasonably swift if that were her wish

would have consequences of course,

euro up north

schengen up north

hard borders here and there

the waffle from Spain I don't take seriously at all

EU refusing Scotland membership would be a nail size gigantic in EUs coffin

Ignoring the insulting rant, I am saying that from Brexit we have learned that there is nothing swift about leaving the EU, there will be nothing quick about Scorttish devolution, and nothing swift about joining the EU. 

10 minutes ago, billd766 said:

But the Brexit referendum was 2 years later than the Scottish one and followed the same format.

Now if we assume that the next referendum requires a super majority (put your own figures here) what happens if neither side reach that super majority?

Does it fall back on the previous referendum or do they vote again and again until one side wins?

If the Remain (Brexit side) wins does that mean that the leave side can have another referendum as the score would be 1 all?

The same rules would have to apply for a Scottish referendum including age limits and ALL voters born in Scotland and not just living there.

I'm not sure of the confusion here, but can help with the super-majority issue. The super majority is designed with idea that a decision can only be taken if a significant majority is reached. It could be 55%, or more likely 60%.  This means that if 59% of Scotland voted to leave then that is not enough to win the referendum, and the status quo continues- Scotland would continue to be part of the UK.

The idea of a super majority is to avoid the very mess we have with Brexit: a nation divided by a narrow and controversial result.

The super-majority does favour the status quo. The only deciding factor is whether the opposing party (Scottish leavers) can reach reach the magic 60%.  If they can't the current situation prevails.

Edited by mommysboy
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

The Scots were told that the only way to secure EU membership was to stay in the UK; to leave the UK was a guaranteed means of leaving the EU and, possibly, not being allowed to return. 

I do remember it being a key part of the debate.

From memory: the SNP manifesto stated (unilaterally) that it intended to remain a part of the EU.  It was explained this was just not possible, that the only way to remain part of the EU was to stay in the UK, since devolution would require Scotland to drop out not only from the UK, but also from the EU, because the UK is the EU member state.

Nobody remotely thought at the time that Brexit would be happening.

Ultimately, the Independence vote was about Scotland deciding about the UK, not the EU.  And it was a decision to stay with the UK once and for all at that.  

3 hours ago, Grouse said:

So you agree that there is no clear, obvious and major benefit? No pot of gold in return for the risk?

Do you understand that the size of the risk and the size of the benefit are closely linked?

I don't wish to take such a huge risk for such a tenuous benefit. There's a whole sub branch of psychology which deals with exactly this issue.

The issue is exacerbated because there are guaranteed losses (rebates and opt outs for example) but no guaranteed gains.

Brexit is an idiotic idea.

It is. 

At best, it's a gamble to retain what we have already got using time, money and effort, and at worst significant harm could be incurred.

From a business viewpoint, you'd be laughed out of any boardroom.

Nuts!

• Thanks 1