UK voters should make final Brexit decision if talks with EU collapse: poll

webfact

Difficult to enter in to a reasonable debate on any issue over the last couple of days. UK politics has a problem on the far right which isn't properly represented imo. Thus, the hard right sits rather unfairly in the Conservative party causing untold problems, as it can't find adequate expression elsewhere.  Odd that Scotland can have a nationalist party, yet similar attempts south of the border attracts thugs, football hooligans, racists, fascists, etc. 

I am no Tory, but I have respect for the party and its politics. 

Will be interesting to see just how far it goes. As well as Leavers, I think a great many others never, ever, want to see another referendum as long as they live.

At a guess they will announce it will be debated which will be done in Westminster Hall rather that the main chamber headed up by some junior minister with little or no publicity or press attention.

The deadline on it isn’t until 1st Feb so unlikely to see anything scheduled for while.

Another Brexit petition which has gone over 100k ends 18th Nov and they announced yesterday it will be debated on 19th Nov which will probably go unnoticed as well.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/219905

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 2

Still left scratching my head- but here is Labour's latest offering.  I guess it is basically what the EU has already offered and May rejected.  So. I think we can see where the battle lines are drawn, and Remainers won't be happy.

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-stories/mcdonnell-announces-todays-labour-brexit-policy-close-single-market-links-1-5759053

1 hour ago, malagateddy said:

Maybe 1st time buyers could "get a foot on the ladder"?IMG-20180815-WA0008.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

A quote from the link.

A ‘no deal’ Brexit will plunge Britain into immediate recession, with thousands of job losses and a collapse in house prices, according to ratings agency Standard and Poor’s. The report said that house prices could drop 10% – and the economic damage will be lasting, with economic output 5.5% lower by 2021.

I emphasised the bold and underlined bit. More doom and gloom and the word could again with not that much to back it up other than an "educated guess".

Edited by billd766
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, CanterbrigianBangkoker said:

'Why bother replying to Sheungwan's seriously "loony tune" post?? Far better to ignore such pointless comments, which are intentional trolling to provoke a reaction.'

I agree, but sometimes it's hard to not call it out, especially as that kind of rhetoric only debases any debate/discussion we might have. 

If one uses this forum -thread- as a microcosm representing wider British society, then it is pretty informative and confirms/reflects what we witness in much of the MSM by many of the Europhile broadcasters as well as ignorant and disconnected Politicos like Lammy, Jones, Thornberry et al, and among more politically active civilians.

The modern 'left' so often opt for emotionally fueled ad-hom attacks, employing very little fact-based reasoning or logic in their arguments. They shout people of an opposing view down and label them with nasty epithets. 

Probably because it's easier and requires far less critical/analytical thought as no argument is formed...patently they haven't a leg to stand on in terms of the majority of the arguments they do manage to make. 

Just looking back at some of these pages, the vast majority of name calling and personal insults have been made by the Remoan side. Heated debate may have come from both sides with both using occasional strong language to lay out impassioned sentiments, but, it is the other side that consistently goes for attacks on their counterparts' character, I notice, again and again.   

think you are right, most sides would agree that the other side errs

15 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

Still left scratching my head- but here is Labour's latest offering.  I guess it is basically what the EU has already offered and May rejected.  So. I think we can see where the battle lines are drawn, and Remainers won't be happy.

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-stories/mcdonnell-announces-todays-labour-brexit-policy-close-single-market-links-1-5759053

Posted of course in a pro EU newspaper.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Posted of course in a pro EU newspaper.

It has to be posted somewhere.  No one else has chosen to report it.  Yet it's sound reporting.

As I see it, there is a big chance that the deal under discussion with the EU will go ahead, with a clause that allows any future government to opt in to a permanent customs relationship.

Looking at that budget yesterday it did smack of a pre-election budget.  perhaps the deal (which is in fact no more than a deal to do a deal) will pass Parliament, and there could be a GE to settle the matter of which version it will be.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/oct/31/labour-would-back-brexit-that-protects-economy-and-jobs

A quote: 'The Labour frontbencher added: “We’ve got to secure a deal, based on membership of the customs union and a close and collaborative relationship with the single market. I think there’s a deal to be had, and that the Europeans will offer a deal that will be acceptable to us on that basis.”

McDonnell said that his opposite number, Philip Hammond, should “stand up in cabinet and say there’s got to be a deal” and that ministers “can’t pander to some elements in his backbenchers” by talking up the possibility of a no-deal Brexit.'

So to my mind, it's come back with a half decent deal, and it won't really matter what the Tory hardliners think or do.  I realise that may come as an enormous ant-climax to many (so called) Tories on this forum who secretly hope for a no deal scenario.

2 hours ago, mommysboy said:

BRINO ++++++++ ...does not really match their 2017 Manny Festo

56 minutes ago, nauseus said:

A no deal Brexit may well mean this for a while and there will be a fair amount of support for lower house prices from those who have found it impossible to buy a home. So for them ... good luck.   

With lower incomes,housebuying will still be out of the question....but in UK in means the market will stall....along with everything else and there will be debt crisis resulting from mass negative equity in the market.

PS . No bank will lend a buyer money on a depreciating asset..

Current forecasts are now for a depressed economy for 40 years.....2 generations....This in an economy that was set to overtake Germany's by 2020'

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, kwilco said:

With lower incomes,housebuying will still be out of the question....but in UK in means the market will stall....along with everything else and there will be debt crisis resulting from mass negative equity in the market.

PS . No bank will lend a buyer money on a depreciating asset..

Current forecasts are now for a depressed economy for 40 years.....2 generations....This in an economy that was set to overtake Germany's by 2020'

and house prices would be likely to fall by 10 percent over two years, S&P said.N

No mention of a depressed economy for 40 years

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

at least I provided a link kwilco article contains no link no surprise there

Very well done a succinctly written response. The original post was refreshing to actually show real genuine news rather than the project fear stuff that remain keep peddling. Unemployment down, wages fastest growth in 10 years, less immigration, tax cuts.

Looks like Brexit is really working well already!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

Britain in 2019: The economy is poised to overtake Germany – the Brexit doomsayers were wrong

Read more at: https://inews.co.uk/opinion/comment/2019-time-optimistic-post-brexit-britain/

Yes their remainder project fear appears to have been largely lies?

in fact Osborn admitted as much today on immigration and the Tories had lied over their will to reduce immigration.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SheungWan said:

VicelollllloLlll,sWwn n Tenno otherbbbutgSterling bounced today on renewed hope of a Brexit deal. Message? Hard Brexit continues to be bad for Sterling.

1 hour ago, SheungWan said:

Sterling bounced today on renewed hope of a Brexit deal. Message? Hard Brexit continues to be bad for Sterling.

5 hours ago, nauseus said:

A no deal Brexit may well mean this for a while and there will be a fair amount of support for lower house prices from those who have found it impossible to buy a home. So for them ... good luck.   

Sterling was over valued a devaluation is what other countries envy, it creates growth increases stock values and leads to higher inflation then wage growth so devaluation is a good trick to get an economy through potentially difficult times. It will also make those pesky imported car more expensive so should stimulate home grown manufacturers Nissan Honda Jaguar Toyota.

if there's no deal we are planning on slowing the Ports the Irish use to make our point, if they think the French farmers can cause issues, Brexeteer can devistatw the Irish and Spanish produce suppliers. And we will if we get more threats from the EU or they slow our drivers over there.

southern Ireland can not operate without imports to us and also through us ooohum mr Varadker

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Patriot1066 said:

Sterling was over valued a devaluation is what other countries envy, it creates growth increases stock values and leads to higher inflation then wage growth so devaluation is a good trick to get an economy through potentially difficult times. It will also make those pesky imported car more expensive so should stimulate home grown manufacturers Nissan Honda Jaguar Toyota.

if there's no deal we are planning on slowing the Ports the Irish use to make our point, if they think the French farmers can cause issues, Brexeteer can devistatw the Irish and Spanish produce suppliers. And we will if we get more threats from the EU or they slow our drivers over there.

southern Ireland can not operate without imports to us and also through us ooohum mr Varadker

Problem is that higher inflation leads to higher interest rates,  mortgages go up people can't afford to pay them, houses get repossessed. House prices crash. 

Could very well destroy the buy-to-let market which works on low margins.

We are pushing the economy into unexplored territory, chaotic regions were the rules we live by today don't apply.

May you live in interesting times....