UK voters should make final Brexit decision if talks with EU collapse: poll

webfact

5 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Wow. I am so proud that you have found this out.

Now naturally you have the proof, links etc and you will publicly take it up with bothe the EU and all the relevant department of the UK government.

If not and you have no proof I call your post BS.

BS detector.gif

a-hem 

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-44856992

Talking about things going swimmingly...

The EU's lack of skills and understanding of complex financial markets is astounding:

“The Bank of England has issued its strongest warning yet to the EU that its lack of adequate planning for Brexit has created growing risks for almost £70tn of complex financial contracts.

This is a “corner of the [UK] finance industry worth more than three times the overall value of the EU economy”.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/oct/09/bank-of-england-warns-eu-brexit-risk-financial-stability-derivatives

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, My Thai Life said:

The EU's lack of skills and understanding of complex financial markets is astounding:

“The Bank of England has issued its strongest warning yet to the EU that its lack of adequate planning for Brexit has created growing risks for almost £70tn of complex financial contracts.

This is a “corner of the [UK] finance industry worth more than three times the overall value of the EU economy”.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/oct/09/bank-of-england-warns-eu-brexit-risk-financial-stability-derivatives

this post *above( receives  daftest comment of today prize / 1 Belhaven

22 minutes ago, My Thai Life said:

OK, as the UK is still part of the EU, how can one part of it's economy be worth more than three times the overall value of the EU economy?

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, tebee said:

OK, as the UK is still part of the EU, how can one part of it's economy be worth more than three times the overall value of the EU economy?

Well I was quoting from The Guardian, so perhaps you should complain to the Editor of The Guardian, rather than me.

But as I've worked in all the European finance centres, it is an area that I have some personal expertise in, so I'll enlighten you - derivatives contracts.

So either you (and Melvin and Ruam) haven't read the article, or you (collectively) have read the article but don't know what derivatives are. Nothing to be ashamed about in the latter though, some things do require expert knowledge. The former is mere laziness.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, My Thai Life said:

Well I was quoting from The Guardian, so perhaps you should complain to the Editor of The Guardian, rather than me.

But as I've worked in all the European finance centres, it is an area that I have some personal expertise in, so I'll enlighten you - derivatives contracts.

So either you (and Melvin and Ruam) haven't read the article, or you (collectively) have read the article but don't know what derivatives are. Nothing to be ashamed about in the latter though, some things do require expert knowledge. The former is mere laziness.

I  am not inclined to hand out another Belhaven for yet another daft comment.

On 10/9/2018 at 9:00 AM, 7by7 said:

What about Wales?

Wales voted Remain as well; by a, slightly, larger margin than England.

On 10/9/2018 at 9:05 AM, vinny41 said:

Wales voted to leave

854,572 (52.5%) voters in Wales chose to leave the EU, compared with 772,347 (47.5%) supporting Remain.

Many apologies, I meant, ofcourse, that Wales voted 'Leave' as well as England.

Apololgies for the stupid mistake.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, My Thai Life said:

So I assume the metric you are using for value is the volume of derivatives traded, rather than the profit on this which is miniscule?

10 hours ago, Stupooey said:

I wondered about the reason for that myself, and came to the conclusion that the Welsh vote was skewed by the comparatively high number of English-born residents (22% of the population). Many of these are retirees, who would be expected to have mainly voted Leave.

See my apology above; Wales voted Leave.

8 minutes ago, tebee said:

So I assume the metric you are using for value is the volume of derivatives traded, rather than the profit on this which is miniscule?

Tebee you are not arguing with me, you are arguing with the Bank of England and The Guardian (I am not using any metric of my own - derivatives trading is not controlled or regulated by me). But I'll let you know that both of your suggestions are incorrect.

Edited by My Thai Life
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, billd766 said:

I am not trying to misrepresent everything you say but what you gave  as usual.was completely one sided.

I offered you a different set of figures that you don't like but cannot argue with.

OK, another referendum option then.

The Scottish Independence referendum in 2014 about Scotland becoming Independent.

Those who voted NO got  2,001,926 votes

Those who voted YES got 1,617,989 votes.

They came second as did the Remainers in the Brexit vote.

Strangely enough the losers in BOTH referendums are shouting for another.

Good point!

The losers in both referendums said vote was too close to be actionable.

Presumably in a new referendum they will agree to an at least 65:35 split to validate the wishes of the electorate.

• Like 1

The Neo-Liberal blue chickens appear to have come home to roost:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/britain-public-finances-worse-than-gambia-uganda-kenya-imf-report-a8577671.html

The IMF’s report takes particular aim at the privatisation of public assets, the benefits of which it says are often merely an “illusion”.

Edited by mommysboy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, aright said:

Good point!

The losers in both referendums said vote was too close to be actionable.

Presumably in a new referendum they will agree to an at least 65:35 split to validate the wishes of the electorate.

It will have to be a 65:35 split because Nigel said before the referendum that a 60:40 vote to remain would be "unfinished business".

Following on from my post of yesterday from The Guardian concerning the EU’s potentially disastrous lack of planning for derivatives contracts post Brexit, I was double whammyed this morning when I read this commentary in The Telegraph on the IMF’s Financial Stability Report October 2018. Forgive the length of the quote, but it’s behind a paywall, and I wanted to make sure that everyone got a good gander:

“Jacques Delors’ think tank ‘Notre Europe’, among others, has warned that the eurozone will not survive another global recession as currently designed. Without fiscal union the prospects are hopeless. Public debt ratios are much closer to the danger line than at the outset of the last downturn.

The contagion from a global crisis would push the eurozone into recession and shift the calculus on debt sustainability. The ECB would have no monetary ammunition left to combat the shock since interest rates are currently minus 0.4pc and its QE balance sheet is already 43pc of GDP.

Only a massive fiscal response could rescue Europe but this is expressly prohibited by the ‘Ordoliberal’ Stability Pact, and would in any case be impossible for the Club Med bloc without an EU fiscal guarantee.

If it reached this point, the eurozone would crash into deflation, leading to a string of sovereign bankruptcies and the devastation of Europe’s banks and financial system. Monetary union would shatter. Radical national movements of the Salvini stripe would sweep into power. It would the end of the post-War European order as we have known it.”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2018/10/10/imf-knows-world-economy-dangerously-stretched-today-2008/

I can’t access this behind the paywall but would be interested if it mentions the U.K. position in respect to the IMF report as, apparently, the only EU country in a worse position in regard to assets and liabilities is Portugal.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/britain-public-finances-worse-than-gambia-uganda-kenya-imf-report-a8577671.html

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

20 hours ago, Stupooey said:

Any comment about the Leave vote being the largest ever UK vote is rather put into perspective when you realise that the Remain vote was the second largest. 

Regarding the Single Market and the Customs Union, the Government leaflet didn't reject membership per se, it just pointed out the downside of taking advantage of them from outside the EU. I actually believe the leaflet did more harm than good to the Remain cause, as it ensured which way the anti-Government vote would go.

Anyone who thinks a referendum is "democracy" needs to seriously rethink their ideas.

A simple majority vote never is nor was an example of democracy.

Democracy is government of the people y the people for the people - there is no citation of "majority" there.

Democratic countries that wish to make major constitutional changes usually require a "supermajority" to make any change

Referendums are the tools of despots and dictators who wish to claim "democratic" credentials for their undemocratic aims.

by going down this road the UK government (thanks to Cameron) has de-democratised themselves.

What is needed and traditional in the UK for this kind of thing is an election - that's how they have done things for centuries.

As I saw before, the majority on the Brexit referendum is a joke.

22254822_1008865349255984_3872866474303412251_o.png.jpg.c0e6f638b606158151d2ca37df0f3b89.jpg

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, adammike said:

It will have to be a 65:35 split because Nigel said before the referendum that a 60:40 vote to remain would be "unfinished business".

I think you will find that he described a 52:48 Remain vote as "unfinished business by a long way". He did refer to this scenario as a "small defeat" though; strange how this morphs into a decisive victory when the figures are reversed.

1 hour ago, My Thai Life said:

Following on from my post of yesterday from The Guardian concerning the EU’s potentially disastrous lack of planning for derivatives contracts post Brexit, I was double whammyed this morning when I read this commentary in The Telegraph on the IMF’s Financial Stability Report October 2018. Forgive the length of the quote, but it’s behind a paywall, and I wanted to make sure that everyone got a good gander:

“Jacques Delors’ think tank ‘Notre Europe’, among others, has warned that the eurozone will not survive another global recession as currently designed. Without fiscal union the prospects are hopeless. Public debt ratios are much closer to the danger line than at the outset of the last downturn.

The contagion from a global crisis would push the eurozone into recession and shift the calculus on debt sustainability. The ECB would have no monetary ammunition left to combat the shock since interest rates are currently minus 0.4pc and its QE balance sheet is already 43pc of GDP.

Only a massive fiscal response could rescue Europe but this is expressly prohibited by the ‘Ordoliberal’ Stability Pact, and would in any case be impossible for the Club Med bloc without an EU fiscal guarantee.

If it reached this point, the eurozone would crash into deflation, leading to a string of sovereign bankruptcies and the devastation of Europe’s banks and financial system. Monetary union would shatter. Radical national movements of the Salvini stripe would sweep into power. It would the end of the post-War European order as we have known it.”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2018/10/10/imf-knows-world-economy-dangerously-stretched-today-2008/

Delors is in good company. A number of economists have aired similar views lately,

except the bit about end of post-war European order as we have known it.

7 minutes ago, nauseus said:

How about the super majority for the major constitutional change that was joining the EEC in the first place? The European Communities Bill only passed through the Commons after a third reading by 301-284, on 17th February 1972. That's 51.4% of the 585 ayes and noes (there were a notable 45 abstentions or non votes).

Bet you can't spot the difference in the rice bowls though.

Heath surprisingly won the 1970 Election on the back of a firm commitment to join the EEC. Labour were also in favour of joining but less committed. The narrow vote in Parliament was all about the terms of entry (as opposed to entry itself), which of course were later re-negotiated by Wilson and put to the Country in the form of a referendum to appease his left wing. The result was 67-33 in favour. The methodology can be criticised, but it led to the right result at the time.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, billd766 said:

I am not trying to misrepresent everything you say but what you gave  as usual.was completely one sided.

I offered you a different set of figures that you don't like but cannot argue with.

OK, another referendum option then.

The Scottish Independence referendum in 2014 about Scotland becoming Independent.

Those who voted NO got  2,001,926 votes

Those who voted YES got 1,617,989 votes.

They came second as did the Remainers in the Brexit vote.

Strangely enough the losers in BOTH referendums are shouting for another.

You're still misinterpreting or misrepresenting my posts. In the one you replied to, another poster was (yet again) making a big deal of the fact that the Leave vote was the highest ever achieved in any UK election/referendum. I was merely placing this in context, pointing out it was not such a big deal bearing in mind that the Remain vote was the second highest ever achieved. How you manage to interpret this as me thinking that Remain won is completely beyond me. Your implication that I don't know that 2 is greater than 1 is quite frankly insulting.

Apologies though for (in your opinion) only giving one side of the argument, but in my defense I think you will find that about 99% of the posters to this thread have been partisan one way or the other. Even one poster who claims to be neutral only ever gives one side of the argument, but that is just trolling.