UK voters should make final Brexit decision if talks with EU collapse: poll

webfact

5 hours ago, Grouse said:

Are you confusing independent with neutral? The BBC is legally bound to be neutral (but frequently misunderstand that they must quote idiots when they have broadcast a world expert) 

The press are not obliged to be neutral

I find the independent, the economist and the BBC to be good sources. But then I am biased. As is everyone.

The Economist good but the other two more on the lightweight side.

How about der Speigel. Especially for Mommysboy, an interview with Corbyn:

DER SPIEGEL: Not just Labour, but the whole country is extremely divided at the moment -- not least because of Brexit. If you could stop Brexit, would you?

Corbyn: We can't stop it. The referendum took place. Article 50 has been triggered. What we can do is recognize the reasons why people voted Leave.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/europe/interview-with-labour-leader-corbyn-we-can-t-stop-brexit-a-1237594.html

cheers MB

6 hours ago, SheungWan said:

Dyson has moved production to Singapore. Please keep up.

True, but it didn't stop saying, quite openly, on BBC World that zero corporation tax would be a good idea 

just trying to keep up!

Edited by Grouse

6 hours ago, SheungWan said:

The Economist good but the other two more on the lightweight side.

The other two are more light weight than they were in an apparent effort to appeal more to to the yoof/chav population which is a pity.

16 hours ago, vogie said:

In all honesty I take no notice of your posts, you dislike the English so much it is almost impossible for you to be impartial, balanced or even fair.

Jumping to conclusions again, I do not dislike the English, spent over 80% of my adult life in England.

It cannot be denied that the UK government is an English dominated government and they treat the other countries in a supposedly democratic union as second class citizens. These same citizens see a better future as a member of the EU than out of it.

The result in Gibraltar was nearly 100% but counted for nothing, you should rethink what you consider fair.

• Like 1

if we wanted to Brexit, we should not have done it the way we did.

https://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/magazine/we-didnt-have-to-do-brexit-in-this-damn-silly-way

The United Kingdom is facing a departure from the European Union on terms that few if anybody in the UK seems to positively want

The historian Conrad Russell set out how the English Civil War was not inevitable, the conflict instead was the result of various contingent events, and non-events—some of them much earlier, some late in the day—any one of which could have led to different consequences.

Article 50 enables the EU to insist on its own interests being dealt with fully in the exit agreement, which includes settling the financial obligations before any discussions about the long-term trade relationship.

11 hours ago, oilinki said:

If it's ok enough that I had a sit down with our current finance minister, who happened to be my student time friend, then yes. 

If I want to get something to be done, he would be just one resource to go forward. 

But could or would he do anything?

Given that the Irish border is currently the key issue, some people here may be interested to hear what David Campbell Bannerman, conservative trade spokesman in the European Parliament, and one of the key people in the early GFA suggested 2 days ago in The Telegraph. I've made it a lengthyish quote because The Telegraph is behind a paywall, and it's such a key topic to those of us actally interested in information about Brexit.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2018/11/08/can-bin-backstop-finally-have-big-brexit-breakthrough/

"Perhaps what is the newest addition would be to spell out exactly how the UK, in particular, would avoid a hard border, and to do so in this legal international treaty format backed by the ICJ. SPS (sanitary or phytosanitary) checks on animal health/plants would continue as now, but be conducted away from the physical border, and the all-island Common Biosecurity Zone would be maintained - with a veterinary agreement that limits the necessary checks to 40 per cent, not 100 per cent (up from 10 percent now). Customs declarations, or country of origin certificate and product compliance checks (the EU talks now of "market checks") shall be conducted away from the physical border and be predominantly done electronically, using schemes such as Trusted Trader and Authorised Economic Operators. Other checks including VAT, tax, excise, currencies (GBP/EUR) and security shall again be conducted away from the physical land border, as now, with VAT accounting continuing to record trade with EU Member States. Other border issues such as the Single Electricity Market (SEM) for the island of Ireland (Northern Ireland and ROI) shall be maintained; and rail services too, jointly run with NI Railways and Iarnród Éireann."

5 hours ago, My Thai Life said:

How about der Speigel. Especially for Mommysboy, an interview with Corbyn:

DER SPIEGEL: Not just Labour, but the whole country is extremely divided at the moment -- not least because of Brexit. If you could stop Brexit, would you?

Corbyn: We can't stop it. The referendum took place. Article 50 has been triggered. What we can do is recognize the reasons why people voted Leave.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/europe/interview-with-labour-leader-corbyn-we-can-t-stop-brexit-a-1237594.html

cheers MB

Yes I accepted the inevitability of Brexit about a fortnight ago, and why it is in fact morally compelling.  What I don't accept, and surely this is the main point, is a very bad deal spawned from an incompetent government.  Of course, no argument if a good deal can be obtained, but where is it? Jo Johnson spoke sense, as have many Tory rebels recently - vassalage or chaos? .....no thanks.

1 hour ago, My Thai Life said:

Given that the Irish border is currently the key issue, some people here may be interested to hear what David Campbell Bannerman, conservative trade spokesman in the European Parliament, and one of the key people in the early GFA suggested 2 days ago in The Telegraph. I've made it a lengthyish quote because The Telegraph is behind a paywall, and it's such a key topic to those of us actally interested in information about Brexit.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2018/11/08/can-bin-backstop-finally-have-big-brexit-breakthrough/

"Perhaps what is the newest addition would be to spell out exactly how the UK, in particular, would avoid a hard border, and to do so in this legal international treaty format backed by the ICJ. SPS (sanitary or phytosanitary) checks on animal health/plants would continue as now, but be conducted away from the physical border, and the all-island Common Biosecurity Zone would be maintained - with a veterinary agreement that limits the necessary checks to 40 per cent, not 100 per cent (up from 10 percent now). Customs declarations, or country of origin certificate and product compliance checks (the EU talks now of "market checks") shall be conducted away from the physical border and be predominantly done electronically, using schemes such as Trusted Trader and Authorised Economic Operators. Other checks including VAT, tax, excise, currencies (GBP/EUR) and security shall again be conducted away from the physical land border, as now, with VAT accounting continuing to record trade with EU Member States. Other border issues such as the Single Electricity Market (SEM) for the island of Ireland (Northern Ireland and ROI) shall be maintained; and rail services too, jointly run with NI Railways and Iarnród Éireann."

It's not really the key issue, is it?  I mean...not really.

Regarding JC, I assume you are a his number one fan now?????

25 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

It's not really the key issue, is it?  I mean...not really.

The Irish border? Well I agree with you that it's not really the key issue. But it has been turned into the key issue; at this stage of the game it is the key issue according to many commentators, who are saying that if we agree to the EU terms for the backstop etc. then we will be in permanent vassalage (a candidate for reborn word of the year!), and if we don't we'll be in the "chaos" of a no-deal exit.

As for Jeremy Corbyn, I read the interview with Der Spiegel which I posted, with interest. And I agree with some of his core values, but I could never vote for him to be leader of the country - this doesn't mean that I'd vote for May either!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Grouse said:

True, but it didn't stop saying, quite openly, on BBC World that zero corporation tax would be a good idea 

just trying to keep up!

No he's building his electric car in Singapore. He's never made anything in the UK

He's invested offer a billion pounds in the U.K. Including training and R&D

7 minutes ago, My Thai Life said:

The Irish border? Well I agree with you that it's not really the key issue. But it has been turned into the key issue; at this stage of the game it is the key issue according to many commentators, who are saying that if we agree to the EU terms for the backstop etc. then we will be in permanent vassalage (a candidate for reborn word of the year!), and if we don't we'll be in the "chaos" of a no-deal exit.

As for Jeremy Corbyn, I read the interview with Der Spiegel which I posted, with interest. And I agree with some of his core values, but I could never vote for him to be leader of the country - this doesn't mean that I'd vote for May either!

Yes I agree with some of his stuff but could never vote for him either.

25 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

A remain tory who wants another referendum that includes the option to remain ????.  Hardly an earth-shattering suprise!

Just another remoaner making his point for a millionaires vote! Sorry peoples vote.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1