UK voters should make final Brexit decision if talks with EU collapse: poll

webfact

6 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

That's just an extremely negative viewpoint. If I wanted to, I could paint just as bleak a picture about the current government if Brexit doesn't go well.

When Brexit doesn't go well, it won't matter which government is in power.  I'm not fully confident that any government will be in power.  I really don't think that Brexit is a significant step away from riots in the streets, or the next war in Europe.  Anyway, even if the Leave voters never find out, our children will.

• Like 1

How did you go bankrupt, asks a character in the Hemingway novel The Sun Also Rises. Two ways, comes the reply: “Gradually, and then suddenly.”

Gradually and suddenly is the story of Brexit. The 2016 vote to quit the EU has drained Britain of energy, purpose and international influence.

It happened gradually. Many people have not noticed. Now, suddenly, the end is in view. It may well turn out to be something worse than bankruptcy.
( emphasis mine)

https://www.ft.com/content/94185c52-ecb9-11e8-8180-9cf212677a57

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mommysboy said:

That's just an extremely negative viewpoint. If I wanted to, I could paint just as bleak a picture about the current government if Brexit doesn't go well.

the UK economy was doing well until brexit,brexit has halted it and JC will put it into reverse.

3 hours ago, mommysboy said:

I mean not 'New Labour', but traditional social democracy based around such things as nationalised utilities, increased social welfare, equality, and labour rights.

No, not Venezuela, or any form of autocracy.

'New Labour' is the project associated with Tony Blair. Old school social democracy is not where Corbyn came from, nor where he wants to go.

2 hours ago, mommysboy said:

Good.  Quite honestly.

We go out on a better deal, or no Brexit in my view.

There is no better deal and nor will there be one. There is only the political option of Labour going into the division chambers with the DUP and the Hard Brexiteers to bring down the Government with all of them exercising their 'do you feel lucky punk' moment, followed by a shambles.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

There is no better deal and nor will there be one. There is only the political option of Labour going into the division chambers with the DUP and the Hard Brexiteers to bring down the Government with all of them exercising their 'do you feel lucky punk' moment, followed by a shambles.

Are the Hard Brexiters mad enough to do that though?

I don't know who has cursed us, but we seem to be living in interesting times....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tebee said:

Are the Hard Brexiters mad enough to do that though?

I don't know who has cursed us, but we seem to be living in interesting times....

They might all (all being Labour, HBs and DUP) go through the voting lobby together at least once. The end of that process will be to hand the PM job to JC on a plate. "What you wish for..." and all that for the new united tribe of lemmings.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, vogie said:

Labour are making this political, they don't give two hoots about the country baboon, Corbyn will sacrafice the country to gain power. Did you watch the Andrew Marr show on Sunday where he interviewed Richard Burgon, the Shadow Lord Chancellor, Marr asked him if he would vote againgst Mays deal, Burgon said Labour would, Marr said, Mr Burgon you would vote down any deal.

BTW I agree with it being voted down, I just question Labours reason.

Finally they are going to be the opposition,but how dare the parliamentary Labour party make it political whatever are they thinking.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, bomber said:

a lot are threatening to block the deal yes but i would expect a lot to change come the day,it will be very close though,JC is better at nothing,the man and his party are a complete set of clown's,exactly why the numbskull UK population will vote him in,you cannot educate the brainless.As a remainer he should be happy with the deal as his words were we have to stay in the CU,we are still in it <deleted>,it must be control of our borders he is not happy with so would he give control back to brussells? he cannot give a answer to save his life,a total IRA scumbag,worse than BJ,to hear him say he can get a better deal is hilarious.

I don't much like him either...

1 minute ago, adammike said:

Finally they are going to be the opposition,but how dare the parliamentary Labour party make it political whatever are they thinking.

Of course as we all know Labour are far more important than the country.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, adammike said:

Would that be the Labour Party membership which is overwhelmingly anti-Brexit or Corbyn the pro-Brexit leader who is doing the thinking?

and having said the above,

regardless of what May, Juncker, Tusk say,

should it come to a clear ditch of the deal in HoC or a change of PM

I am sure the door would be ajar for further deal fixing,

not redoing the whole thing, but modifications to deal  and political cover.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Grouse said:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/nov/26/ministers-consider-backing-norway-plus-as-brexit-plan-b

Norway+ as discussed by me as a possible Nash Equilbrium compromise might end up being the Gordian knot slicer

not a well written article, hope it was done in haste and as such it does not reflect average Guardian quality