RD in Bangkok Complain that my salery is to high ????

Point to keep in mind: if the co is not generating substantial revenues and claiming loss on bottom line,the revenue officer is within his rights to be suspicious. 

There are cases where salary is also PIPO monthly to keep the Visa alive.,

8 minutes ago, sadinc said:

Point to keep in mind: if the co is not generating substantial revenues and claiming loss on bottom line,the revenue officer is within his rights to be suspicious. 

RD have no say in who is paid for what.

They collect due tax. End of.

15 hours ago, overherebc said:

Does anyone think, like me, that it's just some jealous self important person who thinks/believes that no-one should earn more than they do because they have a nice uniform?

I remember a good few years ago my wife was filling out a form in an office and she was required to fill in her salary figure. The female officer checked it and pushed it back saying 'don't be silly dear, it asks for monthly salary, not yearly' I had to leave quickly because I didn't want to be a witness to the reaction from my wife.

Same thing when I married my wife at the amphur We first got the lazy treatment ('another stupid Thai woman marrying a farang.. yawn'). Did not believe she could earn an annual seven figure number and said to my wife that decimals should be rounded up. Their service attitude totally changed after that. Money = respect in Thailand.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, somtumwrong said:

Same thing when I married my wife at the amphur We first got the lazy treatment ('another stupid Thai woman marrying a farang.. yawn'). Did not believe she could earn an annual seven figure number and said to my wife that decimals should be rounded up. Their service attitude totally changed after that. Money = respect in Thailand.

Had the same attitude when my wife changed name. Got the usual 'can only have two names.'  My wife took the form, filled it in, retaining her family name and adding mine, gave it back and said 'stamp it, if you don't I'll tell your boss to do it.'

End result, no charge or fee paid. ??

Edited by overherebc
  • Haha 2

On 8/12/2018 at 11:00 AM, sadinc said:

And I have seen the opposite.  Salary artificially low coupled with high payments to an offshore consulting company in a country with low taxes that doesn't really provide any services.  A good way for a foreigner (or Thai) to avoid paying Thai taxes on their income.  The Revenue Department will investigate and could prosecute if its shown evidence that the recipient of the "consulting fees" is actually an employee of the local Thai company.

I think the bottom line here is that any suspicious transaction is likely to attract the Revenue Department's attention.  They are not fools.

21 hours ago, losworld said:

Perhaps a public employee creating a problem so he can give a solution $$$$$$$

Or a local employer making up some non-existent rule to get a concession.  The facts here are weird, but its not usual for local employers to simply make stuff up when dealing with foreign employees to deter them from pursuing their rights. 

There is no way that the RD would officially instruct an employer to lower somebody's salary, it would be more likely that the employer is saying this in order to force a lower salary!

Depending on the allowances etc. then the tax on 60,000 THB per month is minimal in any case (about 1,550 THB per month if no children, even less if have) and to lower an employee's salary without their consent is illegal.

The whole OP sounds a bit iffy IMO, 60,000 THB per month salary for an expat engineer is peanuts, it would not be unusual for normal companies to pay at least 4 times that up to 10 times.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Horace said:

Or a local employer making up some non-existent rule to get a concession.  The facts here are weird, but its not usual for local employers to simply make stuff up when dealing with foreign employees to deter them from pursuing their rights. 

It's a fine art here. Applied mainly to newbie english teachers. Wish I had just 5% of all the severance pay that teachers have been scammed out of over the years.

Some.

Labour law doesn't apply to teachers.

Contracts that state 'no severance' to be paid.

New contract every year means no severance.

Severance only paid if the salary is higher than xxxx.

Etc etc etc.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, overherebc said:

It's a fine art here. Applied mainly to newbie english teachers. Wish I had just 5% of all the severance pay that teachers have been scammed out of over the years.

Some.

Labour law doesn't apply to teachers.

Contracts that state 'no severance' to be paid.

New contract every year means no severance.

Severance only paid if the salary is higher than xxxx.

Etc etc etc.

"Labour law doesn't apply to teachers."

It does

"Contracts that state 'no severance' to be paid."

A law supersedes a contract

"New contract every year means no severance."

Not true, labor office looks at the period a salary has been paid

"Severance only paid if the salary is higher than xxxx."

No true, there is no limit in the law

6 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

It does

That's what I posted.

Examples of the crap that people believe.

???

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, overherebc said:
50 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

It does

That's what I posted.

Examples of the crap that people believe.

???

They believe it because employers and their counsel will often aggressively outright lie about employee entitlements.  Thais often know the law so employers, IMHO, tend to be much more aggressive with foreigners since they don't know the law.  In fact, the Labour Department in Thailand will provide assistance to employees, including foreign employees (there could be a language problem, so bring a translator).  Thai law is very pro-employee, but you would not know that when you listen to some Thai employers.