Reflux 80% better in Canada

40 minutes ago, rumak said:

Thanks for the info, Lacessit.  its obvious that when Gaff comes up against someone that knows something...Google is definitely NOT his friend.  Though I am pretty sure he is on there now trying to formulate his next response.

Best he could do with me is put an emoji up.  

Actually, he reminds me of what Theodore Roosevelt said about the US Navy.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, ThaiPauly said:

Can't give you an exact price, but they are cheap which is why government hospitals will prescribe them, I think price wise they are on a par with Miricid which are about 80 baht for 10 tablets. Nexium which in my opinion is by far the best tablet for this problem is 990 baht for 14 tablets, expensive sure, but to be free from those attacks is wonderful, because nothing else worked for me

The generic Nexium (Esomeprazole) is relatively cheap. I usually buy something called 'Neksium' over the internet.

7 hours ago, Spidey said:

Complete hogwash! It's caused by too much acid in the stomach. That's why medication that inhibits the production of stomach acids works. Sodium bicarbonate is an alkali and neutralises the acid.

Sorry, you're wrong. See https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/apple-cider-vinegar-for-heartburn-2018032813530 and there are many others both supporting and refuting the research.

"There is a theory stating that what controls the LES is the stomach’s acidity. If for some reason the stomach is not producing enough acid, the muscles around the LES would relax, resulting in more reflux. However, the mechanism that controls this valve is much more complex than the level of gastric acidity. It involves a complex network of involuntary muscles and several different hormones and neurotransmitters."

• Like 1

Grusa is correct. Acid reflux is generally caused by too little stomach acid, not too much stomach acid. What happens is that you eat food and your stomach does not have enough acid to breakdown the food so your stomach will push the food up, searching for more acid to breakdown the food. This causes the food, with a tiny bit of acid mixed in, to push up against the valve in your esophagus and start the heartburn. His recommendation is also correct. When you get heartburn, drink a small amount of apple cider vinegar in water and you will notice that your heartburn will go away. Antacids are only making the problem worse, so you end up taking a ton of them which is really bad for your health.

• Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Sheryl said:

It is not caused by too much acid in the stomach. The stomach naturally contains fluids that are highly acidic, it is supposed to be that way and serves important functions. Rendering the stomach contents alkaline on a regular basis comes with a lot of negative effects.

GERD is due to the sphincter (a sort of one-way valve) that normally prevents backflow from the stomach into the esophagus not working properly.

This can happen because the sphincter itself is too relaxed (causes: aging, some medications, nicotine, caffeine) and/or because the pressure within the stomach is to high (causes: obesity, overeating, excess gas formation, pregnancy or enlargement of any abdominal organ)

Lying down after eating -- especially if it was a large meal or the person is obese - also promotes reflux because gravity no longer works in your favor.

Diets high in fat (any type of fat) also increases risk of reflux because fat significantly delays stomach emptying, foods high in fact particularly require a long delay before lying down.

And just to add to that, with which I agree, there is no proven science which pinpoints why some foods trigger it in some people and not others, why some PPIs work in some folk and some don't, why surgery which repairs a loose ES is not fool-proof and so on...…….

One aspect which I believe has been overlooked is the fact that some people have a digestive system which is slow emptying (yes it is a known condition) so the contents stay in the stomach longer causing pressure on the ES.

Food for thought as they say!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jackinthai said:

Hi ,people read yr labels especially wen it comes to medication !! NEXIUM is. ESOMEPRAZOLE only u r paying a whole lot more. It is a rip off well known in the industry, ask yr doctor .

Yes I think folks know that and it is the next up from Omeprazole...............….

There has been some controversy about AstraZeneca's behaviour in creating, patenting, and marketing of the drug. Esomeprazole's successful predecessor, omeprazole, is a mixture of two mirror-imaged molecules (esomeprazole which is the S-enantiomer, and R-omeprazole); critics said the company was trying to "evergreen" its omeprazole patent by patenting the pure esomeprazole and aggressively marketing to doctors that it is more effective than the mixture.

AND although tests did not, in the main, show much of a benefit over omeprazole, which was off patent, they were allowed to market/patent it (Nexium)as a different product. That said some folks benefit from it over omeprazole??

• Like 2

I am surprised that the H. pylori bacteria comment did not elicit more of a response.

Therefore I am repeating it.

https://www.racgp.org.au/afp/2014/may/helicobacter-pylori-eradication/

Helicobacter pylori is a bacteria which causes problems in many people.

A blood test will give the H. pylori count.  I think anything above 200 is

cause to take two forms of treatment.  First, are antibiotics that are both

specific and general.  I was diagnosed and treated in 1988, in Arizona,

after convincing the military doctors of the Australia discovery.  See:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barry_Marshall .  Second a maintenance

inhibitor taken usually daily.  IMO, my nearly two years in Vietnam,

1971-72, was my place of infection.  I've taken Omeprazole and early

versions for 30 years.  Dementia might be creeping up on me at age 69.  LOL

Terry W. Colvin

( a few miles south of Hua Hin )

UNQUOTE

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Fortean1 said:

I am surprised that the H. pylori bacteria comment did not elicit more of a response.

Therefore I am repeating it.

https://www.racgp.org.au/afp/2014/may/helicobacter-pylori-eradication/

Helicobacter pylori is a bacteria which causes problems in many people.

A blood test will give the H. pylori count.  I think anything above 200 is

cause to take two forms of treatment.  First, are antibiotics that are both

specific and general.  I was diagnosed and treated in 1988, in Arizona,

after convincing the military doctors of the Australia discovery.  See:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barry_Marshall .  Second a maintenance

inhibitor taken usually daily.  IMO, my nearly two years in Vietnam,

1971-72, was my place of infection.  I've taken Omeprazole and early

versions for 30 years.  Dementia might be creeping up on me at age 69.  LOL

Terry W. Colvin

( a few miles south of Hua Hin )

UNQUOTE

H. pylori is definitely a prime cause of gastritis and ulcers, and has been implicated in gastric cancer. But there is no evidence it causes or increases reflux.

If you read the Barry Marshall link at the paragraph beginning with "After failed attempts to infect piglets in 1984, Marshall, " you will see at least one example.  I do not know if his self-inflicted test has been repeated.  I may well be beating a dead horse.

12 hours ago, Fortean1 said:

I've taken Omeprazole and early

versions for 30 years.

I knew of the Aussie discovery (plaudits to Barry Marshall et al) but this quote above stood out for me as the "safety" of PPIs has been discussed on the thread, this esp as my Dr/surgeon said that some of his patients had been on omeprazole for many years with no ill effects.

On 8/15/2018 at 10:10 AM, elgenon said:

I am having some stomach issues now I am in the States. Is it the absence of chilis? 

more likely it is the presence of americanos...

• Like 1

22 hours ago, xylophone said:

I knew of the Aussie discovery (plaudits to Barry Marshall et al) but this quote above stood out for me as the "safety" of PPIs has been discussed on the thread, this esp as my Dr/surgeon said that some of his patients had been on omeprazole for many years with no ill effects.

There have been warnings issued regarding a higher risk of dementia and osteoporosis, studies are still going on. But as far as I am concerned 20mg Omeprazole taken around 15:30 pm, 60 or 90 minutes before an early dinner give me a quality of life improvement that leads me to accept the risk.

I used to be on 40mg but, by trial and error, I found out that, as far as I am concerned, the timing was more important that the dosage. If I could find 10mg capsules I would try them too.

Edited by KiChakayan
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, KiChakayan said:

But as far as I am concerned 20mg Omeprazole taken around 15:30 pm, 60 or 90 minutes before an early dinner give me a quality of life improvement that leads me to accept the risk.

Spot on...……...and that is a basic tenet of medicine today. If there is a risk is it an acceptable one and will the "cure" lead to an improvement in the quality of life, versus any potential downside.

It applies in just about everything, from the humble aspirin to the most potent anti-cancer drug.

On 8/15/2018 at 1:06 PM, jackinthai said:

Hi ,people read yr labels especially wen it comes to medication !! NEXIUM is. ESOMEPRAZOLE only u r paying a whole lot more. It is a rip off well known in the industry, ask yr doctor .

That's worth knowing, I will ask my doctor about it

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ThaiPauly said:

That's worth knowing, I will ask my doctor about it

Esomeprazole is off patent so one should be able to buy generic, but be advised that there are two versions out there...…...Esomeprazole Magnesium (which was/is Nexium) and Esomeprazole Strontium!!

Check out the comparability and safety by comparison.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KiChakayan said:

If you haven't had a gastroscopy yet, I'd strongly recommend you get one done. Your are a good candidate for Barett Oesophagus. Which would need serious monitoring.

I get these warnings from every second poster. I had endoscopy 3 years ago and I'm guessing this would be obvious and noticed. No, I got hernia which I'm sure is a cause of my problems.

I was very concerned about Barrett's and did ask a doctor about it, but he assured me it takes decades to develop. Him being Thai it is possible that he was just giving me mai pen rai, so I'm still a bit concerned sure.

Sheryl, how often should an endoscopy be performed? Am I due for another one? Doc wanted to give me abdominal MRI last time I saw him,  but I was against that. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KiChakayan said:

If you haven't had a gastroscopy yet, I'd strongly recommend you get one done. Your are a good candidate for Barett Oesophagus. Which would need serious monitoring.

100% of people whom I know or heard about who had it done just found ZERO problem.

This is BS that it is so useful.

3 hours ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

I was very concerned about Barrett's and did ask a doctor about it, but he assured me it takes decades to develop.

I believe mine developed over a 5 year period after quite severe daily and nightly heartburn.

My Dr (and also a Surgeon) who carried out the gastroscopy outlined Barretts from the pics he gave me and I went back the next year for another look. I was on PPIs and motility tablets and it had not progressed further.

Had two or three gastroscopies over 5 years then a 2 year break, during which time I decreased the PPI intake and had ceased my stressful job. I also started on D-limonene capsules.

My last Gastro some 4 or 5 years ago showed no sign of Barretts and no sign of GERD and my surgeon was amazed at my progress. Research on whether Barretts heals/regresses is mixed and confusing.

Info for what it's worth.

• Like 2

Your are lucky man. I had my first gastroscopy 4 years ago, and it showed a sizeable segment of BO. No dysplasia yet fortunately. I am now on 3 years intervals and thinking of fundoplication and radio frequency ablation if things got worse.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, gaff said:

100% of people whom I know or heard about who had it done just found ZERO problem.

This is BS that it is so useful.

If I wasn't polite I'd say you are an idiot. Of cohort of one (me) everyone  had Barrett Oesophagus.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, xylophone said:

I believe mine developed over a 5 year period after quite severe daily and nightly heartburn.

My Dr (and also a Surgeon) who carried out the gastroscopy outlined Barretts from the pics he gave me and I went back the next year for another look. I was on PPIs and motility tablets and it had not progressed further.

Had two or three gastroscopies over 5 years then a 2 year break, during which time I decreased the PPI intake and had ceased my stressful job. I also started on D-limonene capsules.

My last Gastro some 4 or 5 years ago showed no sign of Barretts and no sign of GERD and my surgeon was amazed at my progress. Research on whether Barretts heals/regresses is mixed and confusing.

Info for what it's worth.

hello, where do you buy D-limonene  in Thailand ?

Thanks.

2 hours ago, gaff said:

hello, where do you buy D-limonene  in Thailand ?

Thanks.

Haven't seen in Thailand but I order online from iHerb and the postage to Thailand is minimal ($5 if I recall).

Read up on it as many folk have found relief, but be mindful to take as recommended, once every other day for 20 days initially, even though you may experience "orange burps" for a while!! A godsend for me.

"In clinical studies, distilled and purified d-limonene has demonstrated an impressive ability not only to reduce heartburn symptoms, but also to resolve them completely for six months or longer, following a period of treatment as brief as 14 days.

In one recent trial, approximately 90% of the participants reported complete resolution of their heartburn symptoms just two weeks after beginning supplementation with the orange peel extract.6 The controlled, double-blind second phase of the study showed that those taking orange peel extract experienced a dramatic decrease in the severity of their heartburn symptoms. At the end of the two-week trial period, 83% of those who supplemented with orange peel extract rated their heartburn symptoms no higher than 2 on a scale of 1 (least severe) to 10 (most severe). By comparison, only 30% of the placebo group experienced such benefits. At the end of 20 days, 75% of those taking d-limonene reported relief from heartburn symptoms, compared to only 20% of the subjects who took placebo. No one in the study reported any adverse side effects".

• Thanks 1