How safe is touring Thailand by motorbike?

sidjameson

5 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

:laugh:  I see this daily, and the idiots driving in the right lane and suddenly realize they want to exit the highway in the left lane. This is just another proof of the lack of forward-thinking in this country.

We have a set of lights here with two right turning lanes onto the highway. 50 metres through the intersection there is a left exit to a service road. You know which lane they make the right turn from even though they want to go to the service road.

Traveling Thailand by car or bike is one of the best things you can do. The 250 to 350 baht room resorts and people you will meet will show you a better side of Thailand than the posts on this forum.  Some posts on this forum are excellent but it is easy to spot those guys that have never driven Thailand or seen Thailand on the road. Their advice would be funny except people read it and are afraid to drive and miss out on some of the best parts of Thailand and the Thai people. Helps if you can speak some Thai and enjoy Thai food.  Dont be surprised if you sit down to eat at a Thai family local eating place and people approach you and are very friendly and curious.  I have been lucky to meet Thai Farmers, police, military, school teachers, etc and they are wonderful people especially but not limited to north Thailand and Issan. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Farangwithaplan said:

One tip might be, if you see someone riding on slicks in Thailand, steer very clear of them.

27 minutes ago, CGW said:

Where are you riding, in 30 years I have never seen a bike on the road in Thailand with slicks, sure they weren't just bald! ? 

The only time I see "slicks" on a bike is if it is a "show bike" at an event. Of all the rides I've been on with all the bikers from different clubs, I've never seen one ride a bike with "slicks". (Though the guys with "show bikes" do have to get them from one event to another, many are transported by truck/trailer and only ridden a short distance, like from the hotel to the event and back).

10 hours ago, sidjameson said:

Am I signing my own death certificate

Yes, definitely you risk your life. Only One third of all motor bikers got a license. I don't know the figures of cars. But what I know is that you have to expect always and everywhere the most unexpected things. And think of all the pollution around you when driving. Why you want to risk your health even you might be alive? Take a safe car and start your Tour. 

6 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Expect the unexpected anywhere and anytime.

Personally I wouldn't do it because there are just too many idiots out on the streets. That includes truck drivers who took too much medicine, pedestrians who decide to walk over a busy road with children and a trolley, drivers and riders who seem to train for F1, good weather drivers who don't know that their brakes work different on wet roads, the list goes on and on.

You can't avoid all of them all the time and you will come into bad situations. If you are lucky you will get away with the shock, but maybe not...

Very, very true.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CGW said:

Where are you riding, in 30 years I have never seen a bike on the road in Thailand with slicks, sure they weren't just bald! ? 

I have a bit of an idea what a slick looks like. Three of the large capacity bikes at my condo run slicks on their road regstered bikes. If I think of it when I get home I will take of photo to give you a 'first' in 30 years ?

Out at Kanchanaburi 3 weeks ago a possie of 7 S1000rr turned up. 4 of them had slicks. One of them was balled up reasonably well - probably from a track day. But the slicks had balled up and not scrubbed away in a long time and had blued.

26 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Thailand is not a foreign country. It is a distant planet. Always keep that in mind. On so many levels, this place does is not familiar. That is one of the things I like most about living here. But, it takes some time to get used to, and I have to remind myself alot, of that reality. Perspective on the place helps alot. 

That should be on a big sign in every Thai airport and border crossing.

Great post!

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, OneMoreFarang said:

You can meet all these people also if you travel by bus - which is most of the time safer.

Yes.......but then you are dependent on their timing and schedule as well as limited in options at the the places you disembark.....You'll also be subject to their choices for food/rest stops/etc.....

Traveling independently is much more enjoyable......

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

Ummm...hello? The topic isn't whether touring Thailand is advisable. The topic is the advisability of long distance touring by motorcycle given the driving conditions here. I'm pretty sure almost all of the people on this thread regardless of their opinion have experience driving in Thailand. You're the one who sounds like you just fell off the turnip cart.

Wow hit your red button. Relax. Chill. Get that blood pressure under control. Life’s too short to be an a$$

12 minutes ago, Farangwithaplan said:

I have a bit of an idea what a slick looks like. Three of the large capacity bikes at my condo run slicks on their road regstered bikes. If I think of it when I get home I will take of photo to give you a 'first' in 30 years ?

Be interested to see - thanks ? 

5 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

At times, riding in Thailand is more like being in a Mad Max movie (or Death Race) where the only rule is - there are no rules. Expect the unexpected (as others have mentioned) and it won't be long before you will have seen a whole lot of the "unexpected".

Good comment. I just googled for a fitting image. I didn't really find what I was looking for but this is a good reminder of Mad Max. I never saw guys bad like that on Thai streets but it would be a good idea to be prepared for the worst.

1915109562_madmax.jpg.52b76e20e10d177a4bc7170bd1a0a2f6.jpg

2 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

My last couple of big trips have been "solo" rides and they were awesome

Depends what you call awesome.

I remember these 2 recent threads from you, and however the damage seem to have been restricted, it could have been turned out much worse.

I have been riding big bikes for more than 30 years, and had 3 in Thailand, with the last one a 1900 CC cruiser.

It was sold a few years ago, because Thailand scares the hell out of me, and i could tell you quite a few stories about road rage etc.

Saying biking on Thailand roads is safe is just living in a dream world

AS an earlier poster mentioned, get great insurance.

In fact, if you specifically ask a couple of travel insurance companies for quotes, stating clearly that you intend to tour the country by motorcycle (not even mentioning your lack of experience!), you'll soon see how quickly and drastically the premiums rise, which should give you a pretty good idea of what the insurance companies think of your chances of surviving unscathed!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jenny2017 said:

Where in Thailand do you live? There are buffaloes, cows and other animals, including airborne vehicles coming from all directions. OP, have you got a good life insurance? Try to survive Sisaket's rush hour for a week and you can drive everywhere. 

I have ridden to most places in Thailand, Korat, Buriram, Khon Kaen, Udon, Nong Khai, Phetchabun, Tak, Umpang Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Nan, Kanchanaburi, Prachuap, all down the East coast of Thailand and Malaysia to the Singapore border and back up the West coast.
Seen animals everywhere, only had issues with dogs.

In Laos and Vietnam, chickens and pigs are around a lot, but don't run into the road, rather away from you. ?

2 hours ago, jenny2017 said:

I've seen a Honda Accord on the 226 between Kantharalom and Ubon after hitting a middle-sized dog. The whole front was damaged in a way that driving wasn't an option anymore. I wouldn't want to hit a middle-sized dog with such a big wheeled "semi off-road bike", my bumper takes quite a lot impact. Not for anything in the world. 

Yeah understand down to experience really but bumpers usually a bit higher our front spoiler got smashed hitting a unavoidable dog across road run, no-one owned the dog of course, around 2000 baht fixed but not by insurance as it was an extra.

My Versys 650 no problem bumpety bump and just keep going, I reckon on my CRF250 I don't think I will even notice.

Edited by Kwasaki
  • Confused 1

Thailand averages 60 plus road deaths a day, it hold the world record for road deaths for a good reason. You may be the best and safest bike rider in the world but the Thais are the most dangerous and worst drivers in the world. As safe as wrestling with rattle snakes, good luck you'll need it.

• Haha 2