The world’s riskiest place to visit, if you’re British

webfact

7 hours ago, Brigante7 said:

The problem is, most Brits under 30 are thick as shit and have no concept of what is going on around them, to busy with their heads stuck in their phones. 

And all other nationalities, including the evidently intelligent you, are sparing with their use of mobile phones? Yeah, right. 

2 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

...better to Finnish learning English before trying to write it!☺️

i no need learn more english, world stupid language no newer need anywere lot. no need learn more, 67 year no can learn new language, hehe 55555

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Brigante7 said:

The problem is, most Brits under 30 are thick as shit and have no concept of what is going on around them, to busy with their heads stuck in their phones. Every country in the world has danger spots and unless you are paying attention then before you know it you are up the creek without a paddle. 

Brigante7.

True ! init ! 

8 hours ago, ezzra said:

What the report doesn't tells you is how many tourist visit Thailand compared to say, Timbuktu, the more tourists and the more choices for activities, some risky, like riding a motorcycle that other countries does not allow tourists to partake in, the more mishaps one would find his/herself in one would think... 

I wondered the same thing on first read. The report partially addresses your point when it says, "Of course it is worth noting that these are all firm favourites with visitors from around the world – therefore the sheer volume of visitors is likely to increase the chances of claims being made." I agree that it's really not fair to say Thailand is "riskiest" unless the numbers are per capita. However, tourists being allowed on motorbikes is itself a risk factor, so not unfair to compare with countries that don't allow it. It seems maybe those other countries learned from their experience with tourist accidents, and reduced risk by changing their laws.

2 minutes ago, Happy enough said:

it's not really true though is it. it's an article based on brits. the same would apply to most countries nowadays. the article gives nothing. fodder at best

Sorry .. I was only joking ... I love the way Brits use the “ init” after a statement. I have not met anyone from the UK in my travels on Thailand that was badly behaved, or putting themselves in danger . On the other hand , I’ve had money stolen, medical emergencies , and many close shaves with unscrupulous Thai taxi drivers over the years...but of course I’m Irish... trouble ! LOL ! 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, terryofcrete said:

Sorry .. I was only joking ... I love the way Brits use the “ init” after a statement. I have not met anyone from the UK in my travels on Thailand that was badly behaved, or putting themselves in danger . On the other hand , I’ve had money stolen, medical emergencies , and many close shaves with unscrupulous Thai taxi drivers over the years...but of course I’m Irish... trouble ! LOL ! 

init is a southern thing as i am sure you know. isn't it. the same way the yanks use yes at the end of a sentence whilst selling you something. it's actually a mind game. you don't say no so you agree. init. old trick

the thais. chai mai. same shit

Edited by Happy enough
  • Like 1

I constantly get messages from people in America, telling me how dangerous it is here. Usually people who live in "ultra-safe" cities like New York or Los Angeles. Never mind that I can walk anywhere at night in Bangkok and never have to worry about being mugged. The average American's idea of "safety" is being completely impervious to harm. Good luck on that.

This report comes as no surprise what so ever.

On reflection, it is ironic when thinking how Britain plus its nationals, including many other nations, have assisted Thailand over the many decades, but in return are treated, to a greater degree, very poorly.

This report focuses on accidents, but accidents or not, Thailand has become unsafe.

Foreigners, British or not, are tolerated and viewed as ATM's, but are not really liked or wanted.

Easy targets to extort money from and to abuse.

Hmm it says CLAIMS made. Nothing about events happened.

I am dutch. I never experienced any things else than health issues. But please travel t the garbage bin of the EU and go to cities like:

Amsterdam, Rotterdam, The Hague, Brussels, Vervier, Lieige or Luik, Duisburg, Hamburg, Berlin, Paris, Lyon, Nantes, Madrid, Malmoe, Stockholm, London, etc.

Just a few names. I know Amsterdam-West and Amsterdam centre are the worst places to go in the Netherlands. Even for dutch it are almost no go areas

Edited by Rori ban khun fang
  • Like 1

Indeed and not just for the Brits.

What about the Chinese? many of those jiins died recently due to boating related incidents, what about swimming?

next we will start to see a lot more Chinese having falling "accidents" from balconies,

If a particular person/ nationality has a particular problem internationally..
then it is logical to conclude that the problem lies within that person.....rather than  within the area or citizens  where they choose to visit. 
Endsleigh insurance is based in Cheltenham UK (parent company Zurich) so the research only looked at uk claims. It doesn't claim that other nationalities fare any better.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

"...The report looked at data from 2017, ranking countries on where the most insurance claims were made and Thailand came out on top. The report found that Thailand accounted for 23 percent of travel insurance claims made in 2017 – more than any other country..."

Forgive me and apologies to all my British friends, but I interpret this to mean that the dodgiest Brits visit Thailand, not that Thailand is the riskiest...

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

Or should some of them just include more sober days in their vacation ?

2 hours ago, Sonhia said:

This report comes as no surprise what so ever.

On reflection, it is ironic when thinking how Britain plus its nationals, including many other nations, have assisted Thailand over the many decades, but in return are treated, to a greater degree, very poorly.

This report focuses on accidents, but accidents or not, Thailand has become unsafe.

Foreigners, British or not, are tolerated and viewed as ATM's, but are not really liked or wanted.

Easy targets to extort money from and to abuse.

Ye gods.

???

This is based on data from insurers.  Of course many people travel to other dangerous places that are excluded from normal insurance cover so hence there would be no claims to impact those statistics.   Afghanistan comes to mind and I am sure that is far more dangerous for a Westerner to work around alone there than say Bangkok or Pattaya. Having said that I am not sure of the numbers of violent lady boys on the streets in Kabul.

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Expatthailover said:

What a ludicrous thing to say.

Yet you live in thailand?

I no longer live in Thailand. You have to read in context to what I was commenting about.

When I did live here, however, I happened to notice that the majority of tourists (nevermind the local population) just don't know how often they are taking their life in their own hands when they embark on a bus, minivan or go anywhere near the islands.....let alone even set foot on a boat.

The amount of tourists who end up in hospital with a GoFundMe webpage is ridiculous, and they're lucky they can go home without being stitched up in a box. If the insurers are making a fuss then thats saying something on a larger scale.

12 hours ago, Brigante7 said:

The problem is, most Brits under 30 are thick as shit and have no concept of what is going on around them, to busy with their heads stuck in their phones. Every country in the world has danger spots and unless you are paying attention then before you know it you are up the creek without a paddle. 

Brigante7.

You are so right my friend and I live there. Under 30s have know ability to think on their own, are not street wise and are so far to the left I'm surprised they can actually stand up. 

• Like 1

I think the point of the report is because so many Brits go to thailand the British Insurance industry wants to get more insurance bought for that country.  So put this out and up goes sales on Insurance policies. Its a sales pitch document.

"The report highlighted the importance of having valid travel insurance, with 71 percent of claims being for medical expenses.

The report also found that 48 percent of 15-24 year olds don’t even bother taking out travel insurance, while 25 percent incorrectly thought the British government would cover medical bills abroad."

Edited by gregk0543

No brit with any sense would visit Thailand right now.. Expensive 12+ hour trip (2 days of your holidays gone),  £ is seriously down,  beaches packed with every nationality imaginable.. Throw in the mosquito's and rip off Thai.. Road rage and loose 'no face' Thais.. Just go to Greece etc. 

Edited by Rmcall442
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Rmcall442 said:

No brit with any scence would visit Thailand right now.. Expensive 12+ hour trip,  £ is seriously down,  beaches packed with every nationality imaginable.. Throw in the mosquito's and rip off Thai.. Road rage and loose 'no face' Thais.. Just to to Greece etc. 

Beaches packed with every nationality? Should the beaches be as they were/are in Spain? One for Germans, the other one for Brits? But don't go to the wrong beach, please. 

• Like 1