Splits deepen over British minister Johnson's burqa comments

webfact

On 8/13/2018 at 6:08 AM, webfact said:

But a Conservative member of the upper house of parliament and former government polling adviser, Andrew Cooper

Yea, looked up this guy. About as "conservative" as a twinkie is sour. A Lord with a lot of lard. 

2 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

Whilst I generally agree with the gist of your post - personally, I've nothing against various religious groups wearing unusual (as in unusual for the countries in which they live) clothing.

But I draw the line at burkas and niqabs as there is no reasonable (IMO) argument to support their use - particularly as they are restricted to women....

I suspect that most of us are quite happy to chat with Moslem women wearing headscarves to show their faith -  but are extremely unlikely to get involved in conversation with a woman who is wearing a burka or niqab.

I have a simple solution. Ask all Muslim men, of the extremist kind, who demand their woman to wear these ridiculous costumes, to dress in them for a week. Chances are, the entire Muslim world, of the extreme ilk, would immediately see how ridiculous they are behaving, and stop insisting that their women dress in tents, or mailboxes. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The only exception is where it may cause harm, as in calling "fire" in a crowded auditorium when there is none.

Good point, 

The radio presenters that pulled a prank on some lady involved in taking care of the Queen and aparantly out of shame she killed herself.  The consequence of someone speaking freely resulted in an unintentional death.  I call that man slaughter. Say what you want but bear the consequences. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, naboo said:

In the UK, where BJ's comments were published:

So more restricted than your example of shouting "fire" in an auditorium. An offence is committed in many circumstances, but there is a fine line. Abuse of religion is fine, so long as it is not with the intention of stirring up religious hatred, or if what is written or said is likely to stir up racial hatred. What BJ wrote has been taken well out of context and I don't think crosses that fine line, but he needs to be careful because repetition could be deemed to become guilty under "having regard to all the circumstances racial hatred is likely to be stirred up thereby".

This reminds me of back in 2011 when …

France's controversial burka ban became law today sparking a protest in Paris during which two women wearing full face veils were arrested. Ironically, the biggest protest was actually in London where a group of women in full black burkas gathered outside the French Embassy."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1375654/France-burka-ban-Two-arrested-Paris-protest.html

Anger: Muslim women in full burka demonstrate against the new law outside the French Embassy in London

On ‎8‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 2:19 AM, terryw said:

Those people wishing to punish Johnson, including Mrs May, have clearly lost the plot when it comes to defending free speech.

As have those who want to dictate to other people what they can and cannot wear in public!

Before anyone comments; it wouldn't bother me if naturists were allowed to walk around naked whenever and wherever they chose.

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 1:44 AM, My Thai Life said:

"As a Muslim woman, I’d like to thank Boris Johnson for calling out the niqab...."

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2018/08/as-a-muslim-woman-id-like-to-thank-boris-johnson-for-calling-out-the-niqab/

Some Muslim women do not like the burka or niqab, others do and choose to wear it.

Boris Johnson's burka jibe: Why do some Muslim women wear the veil?

Tahira Noor, who has been wearing a burka for 20 years, says it's "100% my choice" and Mr Johnson's comments show a "lack of knowledge".

The "majority of the women who wear the burka" she says, are born and brought up in Britain. They are "educated in this country, they've been to colleges, universities, and have understood why they want to do what they're doing," she told BBC Radio 5 Live.

"They're under no oppression, they're not doing it because their husbands want them to or their fathers want them to."

Ms Noor has four daughters none of whom wear a burka

You refuse to say where you live, but I live in the UK which is a free country; a country where people can wear what they want; and long may it continue to be so.

Edited by 7by7
Forgot link, oops!
  • Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 3:43 AM, phantomfiddler said:

No-one should be allowed to walk around in public with their face covered up. Just a pair of eyes peeking out is not enough facial recognition for modern demands.

Tell that to motorbike wearers, anti pollution mask wearers, ski mask wearers in the winter tec., etc..

Anyone who is in a public place with their face covered has to remove that covering when requested to do so by a police officer.

• Like 2

On ‎8‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 9:48 AM, dick dasterdly said:

<snip>

Most brits. don't care much about 'their' religion, so have no problem with those making fun of it.  Life of Brian is a prime example - hilarious, and enjoyed by pretty much everyone.

Do you not remember the furore over Life of Brian when it was first released?

Why Monty Python's 'foul, disgusting and blasphemous' Life of Brian wouldn't get made today

Although the Pythons intended the film to be a satire on blind faith and organised religion, they could not have imagined the extent of the furore it would cause on its release. A campaign condemning the film on the grounds of blasphemy – led by Mary Whitehouse and the Christian values organisation, The Festival of Light – resulted in the film being banned in parts of Britain and the whole of Ireland and Norway. In the US, meanwhile, protesters gathered outside cinemas...…..

The film premiered in America in August 1979 and immediately caused a brouhaha. The Rabbinical Alliance declared the film “foul, disgusting and blasphemous”. The Lutheran Council described it as “profane parody”. Not to be outdone, the Catholic Film Monitoring Office made it a sin even to see the film

• Like 1

15 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

If only it was that simple ☹️.

A previous poster provided a video link with three young, moslem women explaining why they CHOSE to wear the burka!

It boiled down to:-

1) They felt it made their religious beliefs more obvious....  For some obscure reason they thought wearing a scarf wasn't obvious enough....

2) Their parents having moved to the uk were more concerned about integrating, so thought it was preferable to not wear extremist clothing.

3) They (having been born here and therefore integrated), saw no reason not to wear this extremist piece of cloth covering their face.

4) They believed it made everyone 'look at them as themselves - rather than basing their opinion on what they wore/looked like'!

The last point made me laugh for a long time - but now I just think it's very sad that they're that stupid ☹️.

Dumb, dumb, dumber, and dumbest. If they really think any of this is the case, it only serves to highlight how much they have not assimilated. I say make all Muslim women participate in annual bikini contests, to demonstrate their true degree of assimilation. Simple solution. 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, My Thai Life said:
On ‎8‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 6:54 PM, 7by7 said:

Do you not remember the furore over Life of Brian when it was first released?

Yes I can remember Life of Brian's release, "furore" is a wild exaggeration,

Then you not only have a poor memory, but haven't read the quotes in my post, let alone the actual article!

Another reminder:-

But can you imagine "Life of Muhammad" being made without fatwas, riots and terrorist acts?

There have been many; from dramatisations to documentaries. This list is 6 years old, so is not complete: List of Western Films about the Prophet Muhammad

On ‎8‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 6:30 PM, 7by7 said:

Tell that to motorbike wearers, anti pollution mask wearers, ski mask wearers in the winter tec., etc..

The obvious difference is that the groups you mention are not members of a fanatical religious sect dedicated to the subjugation of women.

Neither are most, the vast majority in fact, British Muslims; Burka wearing women or not.

It has been shown to you many times in the other topic that many. I'm not saying all, British Muslim women who wear a niqab or burka do so of their own free will; exercising a choice you would deny them for no reason other than your hate.

On ‎8‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 6:26 PM, 7by7 said:

You refuse to say where you live, but I live in the UK which is a free country; a country where people can wear what they want; and long may it continue to be so.

Actually if you go to one of the Wahabbi ghettos in the UK, you will find that freedom of dress is not tolerated by the self-appointed shariah police.

Where are these so called ghettoes, these so called Muslim controlled no go areas where even the police fear to tread?

People are going to Trump's 'no-go areas' to make a point

Note the profligate sale of wine in this alleged no go zone. Obviously the Sharia police don't even come once a blue moon. (Yesterday was a blue moon even.)

As for the self appointed Sharia police; it is true that some young Muslim men did try such a thing a few years ago. They were roundly condemned by the local Muslim community, including mosques, and dealt with by the police and courts; most of them serving custodial sentences.

From the Daily Mail, which not even you can accuse of being PC, leftie and immigrant loving, of 6th December 2013: 'Muslim Patrol' jailed for harassing couple holding hands and men drinking in a bid to enforce Sharia law in East London

On 8/15/2018 at 6:49 AM, My Thai Life said:

Yes I can remember Life of Brian's release, "furore" is a wild exaggeration,

But can you imagine "Life of Muhammad" being made without fatwas, riots and terrorist acts?

The obvious difference is that the groups you mention are not members of a fanatical religious sect dedicated to the subjugation of women.

Actually if you go to one of the Wahabbi ghettos in the UK, you will find that freedom of dress is not tolerated by the self-appointed shariah police. 

More unsubstantiated hogwash. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, My Thai Life said:

I do remember when Life of Brian was released. There was some reaction, but not a furore.

However, imagine what the reaction would be to "Life of Mohammed" - fatwas, riots, beheadings, bombs. And lots of tantrums besides.

‘Life of Brian’ 

How do you get from that to ‘Life of Mohammed’?

3 hours ago, My Thai Life said:

I do remember when Life of Brian was released. There was some reaction, but not a furore.

However, imagine what the reaction would be to "Life of Mohammed" - fatwas, riots, beheadings, bombs. And lots of tantrums besides.

If you can't invoke actual serious instances, I guess you have to start inventing them.

• Like 1