Special report : Fishing boat operators irked by govt move to improve working conditions

webfact

On 8/14/2018 at 1:17 PM, Kinnock said:

I was thinking the same thing - and was trying to get an idea of the length of the typical Thai fishing boats we see in the local ports.  I think in feet for boat length, and 24 meters is about 80 feet .....

This is an example of a  72 foot converted trawler

300px-North_Sea_Trawler_FORGER_photo_D_R

Looks about the same length or bit longer than a typical Thai fishing boat?  So the full requirements may not apply to many of the Thai boats - and I guess the boats that go out for months are much bigger?  Although if they use smaller feeder boats, the larger ones may never come to a port where there's any real enforcement.

Phuket+trawler2.jpg

Pretry sure, but I may be wrong, that these little trawlers on and around the coast aren't the ones that anyone is getting "enslaved" on. These would be local fisherman maybe going out for one or two days. I think the boats they are talking about are the large motherships and fish factories working out in international waters. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, starky said:

Pretry sure, but I may be wrong, that these little trawlers on and around the coast aren't the ones that anyone is getting "enslaved" on. These would be local fisherman maybe going out for one or two days. I think the boats they are talking about are the large motherships and fish factories working out in international waters. 

Yes - that sounds right to me.  I was just curious about the type of boats likely to be covered by the rules. 

Enforcement on the larger ships will be a challenge - as they can stay out for months, and put into any convenient port that does not have rules.