Special report : Fishing boat operators irked by govt move to improve working conditions

webfact

Special report : Fishing boat operators irked by govt move to improve working conditions

By CHULARAT SAENGPASSA 
THE NATION 

611b1144f9ee6bc9526a0e969fc10e9c-sld.jpe

COMPLAINTS CONTINUE EVEN THOUGH THE MOVE WILL SOLVE SEVERE LABOUR SHORTAGE

THAILAND’S FISHING industry, which is notorious for its harsh and often brutal working conditions, is suffering from a serious labour shortage. Yet, fishing-vessel owners are enraged that the government plans to ratify a convention that will require significantly better conditions for workers. 

For instance, the C188 Work in Fishing Convention will guarantee that workers on fishing vessels get at least 10 hours daily or a minimum of 77 hours of rest per week. 

Once Thailand ratifies the C188, it is likely that fishing-vessel crews will be provided with protective gear and given access to the social-security scheme. 

The new list of benefits for fishing vessel crew runs long, and is upsetting fishing operators. The biggest point of contention is the proposed requirement that one bedroom and toilet per four workers is provided on fishing boats. The convention also demands that each vessel include a library, a fitness room and a recreation room. 

86c2715053939cca6828b4ba096689ed.jpeg

“It will be difficult to reconfigure all fishing boats when these requirements take effect. I have to tell you that a wrong adjustment could sink a boat,” National Fisheries Association of Thailand’s president Mongkhon Sukcharoenwattana cautioned. He said that he had enlarged his fishing vessels and learned that they could no longer cope with the wind. 

Mongkhon pointed out that ratifying the C188 could very well destroy the country’s fishing industry. 

“The government must be thinking that it will be easy for us to make adjustments. But in reality it isn’t. Aside from technical issues, we also have budget problems. The reconfiguration will take a lot of money,” he said.

In response to the news, fishermen in 22 seaside provinces earlier this month threatened to stop fishing. 

“The permanent secretary for Labour Ministry now assures us that there is no plan to ratify the convention anytime soon,” Mongkhon said. 

More than 16,000 fishing vessels are affiliated with his association.

With the industry trying hard to recruit 53,000 new workers, Mongkhon’s association is pushing the government to let them hire illegal migrants and register them in a bid to ease the labour shortage.

Labour Minister Pol General Adul Sangsingkeo, however, has said that only some 11,000 workers would be allowed to renew their work permits between August 20 and September 30 provided they express their intention to continue working in the industry. 

“We will then try to fill vacant positions by importing workers through our memoranda of understanding with Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam,” he said.

435fec65c33a752dab915b03608af845.png

Sompong Srakaew of the Labour Rights Promotion Network (LPN) said neighbouring countries were usually cautious about sending their workers to Thailand for jobs on fishing vessels. 

“They are worried about their welfare,” he said.

Sompong explained that Thailand’s fishing industry would not face a labour shortage if good working conditions were provided. 

Even though some MoUs have been signed for the fishing industry, migrant workers usually opt to work in other fields due to better working conditions. Sompong said he had heard many stories about exploitation in the fishing industry. 

“Many workers feel they are underpaid,” he said. 

According to LPN, fishing-vessel workers earned just Bt5,000 per month in 2011 and rarely got the 1 per cent commission per catch that was promised. Even more worrying were findings that fishing-vessel captains often paid guards to attack those who disobey their orders and even abandoned some disobedient workers on small islets as punishment. 

Thai Sea Watch Association’s president Bunjong Nasae also said there were cases of serious human-rights violations on fishing vessels. 

“It is widely known that some workers were made to work like slaves,” he said, adding that the ratification of the C188 would be good, as it would help solve problems in the industry. 

“I think only big operators are against the ratification as they might be worried about losing their benefits if stricter measures are taken to prevent the exploitation of workers. They have been exploiting workers for too long,” Bunjong said.

He added that the ratification would not really affect small operators, because they usually worked with members of their family and did not venture too far from the shore. 

5c1d51009b4ce866f8b315dadb02cd0d.jpeg

The C188 is in line with the Labour Protection and Welfare Department’s move to ensure that jobs on fishing vessels are good. 

Sompong said that though he agreed with the ratification of the C188, he believed the government might have to pursue it on a step-by-step basis. 

“Tension is running high because fishing operators have faced huge pressure in recent years. They have been pushed to comply with several rules over the past few years as the authorities have been seriously cracking down on illegal, unreported and unregulated fishing,” he said. 

He added that over time, fishing operators should be able to make adjustments. Sompong also said that the LPN was ready to help if the government was going to invoke Article 83 of the Fisheries Act in order to provide one-stop registration services for workers seeking fishing jobs. 

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30352008

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-08-13

2 hours ago, webfact said:

et, fishing-vessel owners are enraged that the government plans to ratify a convention that will require significantly better conditions for workers.

That´s just because that way of thinking is far over their greedy IQ limit.

• Like 1

"..ratifying the C188 could very well destroy the country’s fishing industry."

Besides basic human decency, it's also "leveling the playing field".  If you need slave labor, horrible conditions, etc to run business, then it is time to get out of business. Other countries seem to be able to function within these rules, and pay higher wages. Prices will no doubt go up, but I for one am willing to pay more for a product that has not been produced with slave labor. Call me a liberal, if you must. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Lungstib said:

"..ratifying the C188 could very well destroy the country’s fishing industry."

Then let it be. Slavery is illegal.

Agree, but it is more than illegal, it is a serious lack of morality and empathy.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Kinnock said:

The one restroom per 4 crew members may be a bit of a challenge on older/smaller vessels, but the other requirements look like basic human rights to me.

As per C188 Annex Three, Fishing vessel accommodation,

• Tubs or showers, toilets and washbasins 

61. On vessels of 24 metres in length and over, for all fishers who do not occupy rooms to which sanitary facilities are attached, there shall be provided at least one tub or shower or both, one toilet, and one washbasin for every four persons or fewer.

62. Notwithstanding the provisions of paragraph 61, the competent authority may, after consultation, decide that there shall be provided at least one tub or shower or both and one washbasin for every six persons or fewer, and at least one toilet for every eight persons or fewer, where the competent authority is satisfied that this is reasonable and will not result in discomfort to the fishers. https://www.ilo.org/dyn/normlex/en/f?p=NORMLEXPUB:12100:0::NO::P12100_ILO_CODE:C188

The requirement isn't as restrictive as it reads in the article.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, robblok said:

I find a library and fitness room a bit much on a vissing vessel. Its not like regular workers have these benefits. But otherwise the requirements seem ok. Also the 1 restroom per 4 members is a bit much.

As per C188 Annex Three Fishing vessel accommodation,

61. On vessels of 24 metres in length and over, for all fishers who do not occupy rooms to which sanitary facilities are attached, there shall be provided at least one tub or shower or both, one toilet, and one washbasin for every four persons or fewer.

62. Notwithstanding the provisions of paragraph 61, the competent authority may, after consultation, decide that there shall be provided at least one tub or shower or both and one washbasin for every six persons or fewer, and at least one toilet for every eight persons or fewer, where the competent authority is satisfied that this is reasonable and will not result in discomfort to the fishers.

• Recreational facilities                                                                                                                                                         70. For vessels of 24 metres in length and over, appropriate recreational facilities, amenities and services shall be provided for all fishers on board. Where appropriate, mess rooms may be used for recreational activities.

https://www.ilo.org/dyn/normlex/en/f?p=NORMLEXPUB:12100:0::NO::P12100_ILO_CODE:C188

The requirements aren't as restrictive as they seem in the article. I saw no mention of a library and no specific mention of a fitness only room.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, scorecard said:

Nice points however if the old boats can't be renovated to uphold the new regulations and at the same time be safe, then there's an obvious decision - deregister the boat. Maybe some compensation (needs a lot of discussion). 

Like anything this industry must move forward, it's untenable it doesn't.

IMHO ultimately human rights must come first.  

How about they just start with the basics of ILO, the MLC and ITF?

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, starky said:

How about they just start with the basics of ILO, the MLC and ITF?

Agree, set some well accepted / proven standards to work to, and inist this is the way it works, nothing else can be discussed / tried, instead of trying to gain improvements by using band-aids.  

Tough love. 

Edited by scorecard
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Agree, set some well accepted / proven standards to work to, and inist this is the way it works, nothing else can be discussed / tried, instead of trying to gain improvements by using band-aids.  

Tough love. 

Making mandatory use of their AIS if they have ever heard of one so they could monitor where these muppets were fishing would be a good start.

• Like 2

The scummy owners are "irked "

What a shame, how sad!

Time to abolish slavery in fishing but sadly I doubt many Thais, due to their , "conditioned upbringing/ education , or lack of it" would agree or even understand

• Like 1

16 hours ago, robblok said:

I find a library and fitness room a bit much on a vissing vessel. Its not like regular workers have these benefits. But otherwise the requirements seem ok. Also the 1 restroom per 4 members is a bit much. I have been on dive boats and I can tell you there were far mor people to a toilet then 4 and it never made a much of a problem. 

Better conditions than I had on the refinery in Libya. But terrorists in Gitmo had better conditions than us. But there again the the Gitmo accommodation was better than the terrorists home accommodation. Regarding the Thai fishing fleet. Slavers usually react badly to reform. Many of the crew are indentured/slave labour from Burma. Has anybody wondered why in the heart of Issan, miles from the sea, squid is so cheap?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, starky said:

Cmon  Robb we are talking about ocean going vessels that go to sea for months at a time. A dive boat generally is in port every day. I've worked offshore most of my life and on small vessels a "library" is a couple drawers with books in them and a "fitness room" might be a cabin with a treadmill and a couple dumbells if your lucky. As for the 4 to a dunny rule that generally means showers as well and ILO conventions for years have stated  that no more than 2 seafarers should share a toilet. If you've never been to sea you would never understand the conditions.

Your right I never been to sea, my dad has oil tankers but I have not. I think there is indeed a case of a mixup. I was not really thinking about ocean going vehicles. I was more thinking about the standard fishing boats that I have seen in the south around the same size of a dive boat.  Something with maybe 10 crew members.. I obviously have an other (probably wrong) idea of fishing boats. These were just the ones I encountered. i did see a few huge ones near Koh Chang once but thought these were a minority. 

I never seen any figures about this so I have no idea. 

7 hours ago, The manic said:

Better conditions than I had on the refinery in Libya. But terrorists in Gitmo had better conditions than us. But there again the the Gitmo accommodation was better than the terrorists home accommodation. Regarding the Thai fishing fleet. Slavers usually react badly to reform. Many of the crew are indentured/slave labour from Burma. Has anybody wondered why in the heart of Issan, miles from the sea, squid is so cheap?

Maybe because some of those people working on fishing-boats buy a lot of squid or get paid in fish... and sell it in Issan ? Just a guess nothing more. 

16 hours ago, Srikcir said:

As per C188 Annex Three Fishing vessel accommodation,

62. Notwithstanding the provisions of paragraph 61, the competent authority may, after consultation, decide that there shall be provided at least one tub or shower or both and one washbasin for every six persons or fewer, and at least one toilet for every eight persons or fewer, where the competent authority is satisfied that this is reasonable and will not result in discomfort to the fishers.

• Recreational facilities                                                                                                                                                         70. For vessels of 24 metres in length and over, appropriate recreational facilities, amenities and services shall be provided for all fishers on board. Where appropriate, mess rooms may be used for recreational activities.

https://www.ilo.org/dyn/normlex/en/f?p=NORMLEXPUB:12100:0::NO::P12100_ILO_CODE:C188

The requirements aren't as restrictive as they seem in the article. I saw no mention of a library and no specific mention of a fitness only room.

You did what I should have done.. go to the source and look better. News articles suck.. better to get facts somewhere else.

24 meters not huge, but not small either, I wonder how long the fishing-boats were that I saw in south Thailand. The ones fishing near the coast.. not long-tails but ones with a structure on it. I can't really say could be under 24 meters, I am just not sure.  But converting those old boats would be troublesome. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, robblok said:

You did what I should have done.. go to the source and look better. News articles suck.. better to get facts somewhere else.

24 meters not huge, but not small either, I wonder how long the fishing-boats were that I saw in south Thailand. The ones fishing near the coast.. not long-tails but ones with a structure on it. I can't really say could be under 24 meters, I am just not sure.  But converting those old boats would be troublesome. 

I was thinking the same thing - and was trying to get an idea of the length of the typical Thai fishing boats we see in the local ports.  I think in feet for boat length, and 24 meters is about 80 feet .....

This is an example of a  72 foot converted trawler

300px-North_Sea_Trawler_FORGER_photo_D_R

Looks about the same length or bit longer than a typical Thai fishing boat?  So the full requirements may not apply to many of the Thai boats - and I guess the boats that go out for months are much bigger?  Although if they use smaller feeder boats, the larger ones may never come to a port where there's any real enforcement.

Phuket+trawler2.jpg

Edited by Kinnock