If the cave boys can get citizenship what about me - says stateless origami contestant

webfact

If the cave boys can get citizenship what about me - says stateless origami contestant

10pm.jpg

Picture: Manager Online

A contestant in a paper airplane folding contest has renewed calls for Thai citizenship.

Mong Thongdee, now 21, was placed third in a team contest for under 12s organized by the Japan Origami Airplane Association (JOAA) back in 2009.

It was said in 2009 that Mong had brought benefit to the kingdom with the unusual honor.

PM at the time Abhisit Vejjajiva promised to get citizenship for the stateless Mong but when he was ousted from power it all went quiet.

Now, in the light of the coach and three Tham Luang boys being granted Thai citizenship, calls are being led by Thai PBS for the same for Mong.

They have gathered documents to support the claim for citizenship, reported Manager.

Source: Manager Online

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-08-13
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, sanemax said:

They would not have been born in Thailand, so, they would not be eligible 

Yes I realise that, just complaining that there is no path to resident/citizen for retired or married to Thai, unless you work.

21 minutes ago, webfact said:

brought benefit to the kingdom with the unusual honor.

18 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

If the cave boys can get citizenship what about me - says Expat on Retire Extension.

Now what unusual honor would a retired expat bring to the Kingdom !!! 

5 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Yes I realise that, just complaining that there is no path to resident/citizen for retired or married to Thai, unless you work.

I acknowledge your points.

The reality is, right or wrong, there are many differing attitudes to this subject, across the world.

Perhaps part of the Thai attitude is 'contributing to Thailand'.

Another point, Thailand is not a multi-cultural country (as we know that term in the west) and perhaps doubtful it will ever be, so perhaps that partly gears the overall attitude to a not so open attitude to PR and citizenship.

I have PR, well over 20 years, and after working, with WP, and paying taxes, at the interview I was asked to explain how I have been specifically contributed to Thailand and whether that would continue. (The year I got PR a total of 5 foreigners (all countries) were approved.)

A different point, I have many friends who have the so-called Thai 'retirement' visa, many say it's not that difficult to establish and to renew. Some say it's much easier than many other countries. 

Is the Thai official attitude to PR and citizen going to be more open now or in the future - somehow I doubt it, but keep your fingers crossed.

Good luck.

• Like 1

The hoopla over the cave boys citizenship is just that, to paint the Thai government in a belovelant and caring government, anyone else who's entitled to a citizenship much more than those boys are, and have been for many years, nameless, faceless and irrelevant to the funfair that is going on with the cave boys.... 

Just now, ezzra said:

The hoopla over the cave boys citizenship is just that, to paint the Thai government in a belovelant and caring government, anyone else who's entitled to a citizenship much more than those boys are, and have been for many years, nameless, faceless and irrelevant to the funfair that is going on with the cave boys.... 

The stateless people are not "entitled" to citizenship though .

If the stateless cave boys are being rewarded for anything IMHO it is the cool bravery they showed in -- once being trapped -- not panicking either prior to or during their escape with the divers.

There are those on here who would take a cheap shot at the Thai government any time they have a chance and this is obviously no exception.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Understand your sentiment and that is irrespective of the fact that many of us bring millions of hard currency into the Thai economy. But hey this is not what the thread is about. In fact Thai looks like it has missed a chance of being another hub of something or other,   the hub of paper folding.

4 hours ago, Vacuum said:

You'll need to get trapped in a cave and get media attention, then maybe you'll get it. The main thing is to get media attention.

Not up to speed, are you?

Read the news and you will see this week quite a few stateless people received Thai nationality.

I have that idea the whole business of stateless people in Thailand got speeded up because of the Cave Boys.

Edited by hansnl
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, scorecard said:

I acknowledge your points.

The reality is, right or wrong, there are many differing attitudes to this subject, across the world.

Perhaps part of the Thai attitude is 'contributing to Thailand'.

Another point, Thailand is not a multi-cultural country (as we know that term in the west) and perhaps doubtful it will ever be, so perhaps that partly gears the overall attitude to a not so open attitude to PR and citizenship.

I have PR, well over 20 years, and after working, with WP, and paying taxes, at the interview I was asked to explain how I have been specifically contributed to Thailand and whether that would continue. (The year I got PR a total of 5 foreigners (all countries) were approved.)

A different point, I have many friends who have the so-called Thai 'retirement' visa, many say it's not that difficult to establish and to renew. Some say it's much easier than many other countries. 

Is the Thai official attitude to PR and citizen going to be more open now or in the future - somehow I doubt it, but keep your fingers crossed.

Good luck.

Don't doubt it, seen the ethnicity of most of the powerdull it's quite certain.

• Like 1

Propaganda!

It's that simple.

Non of the football team, especially the coach, should have been granted citizenship.

They all knew they where venturing into a dangerous place!

Many individuals have good grounds for citizenship, not those individuals creating havoc, as did the football team.

Was the whole episode premeditated for: mass media attention?

World stage?

Spin doctors on mass to promote smoke screens and so called Thai-ness

I think most readers are aware of the real Thailand.

All for show, as always!

Double standards.

Double edged sword.

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

A five dollar bill around a stack of ones.
Standard cheapo showoff tactic.

?

I do actually know one expat who has a wallet stuffed with 20's and a few hundreds on outside. On a good day, to impress, he might have a couple of 500's.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

[emoji38]
I do actually know one expat who has a wallet stuffed with 20's and a few hundreds on outside. On a good day, to impress, he might have a couple of 500's.

A Thai Baht millionaire!
I saw a Japanese one who orders water only. He tops off from stash of shochu hidden in his shoulder bag

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk