McLaren super car owner may have to seek recompense from pick-up driver

webfact

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

But, thats why I have insurance and I don't expect there to be any limit on 3rd party payout for repairs (I'll have to check my policy). 

You should check. I am surprised that you checked the payments of your insurance polices. I was surprised in the begining, when I check, why they all stop pay at a maximum.

I would suggest that your Insurance maximum payment is about 10 Million baht. So if you damage a 30 million car you have to pay 20 million baht by yourself. this is Thailand. The maximum I ever see was 10 Million. I checked quite a few insurances.

This guy is merely the spokesman of an Insurance Association.

He probably has no idea what the policy limits are on either policy, assuming insurance exists for both parties.

What I would expect to happen is that the third party property damage section to pay up to its limit, assuming the pick-up driver has first class insurance and the McLaren owner's insurance to pick up the balance. 

If the very likely event there's no comprehensive insurance in place then the chances of a the driver having any money are practically zero so the McLaren driver's insurance would have to foot the bill. That's the risk insurers run when insuring high end vehicles.

I've never read a "supercar" insurance policy but if it states that the work has to take place in garage approved by the insurers the driver could well be up sh!t creek if he has to entrust his pride and joy to Somchai's back-street bodyshop! ?

Or a poser, there are lots here, just look at how successful I am, I can afford...………………..(forgot to factor in  mmmm what did I forget to factor in?)

If he really wanted to impress it would have been a better call to have ahired one for a day or week, then gone back to the som law.

20 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Really?  There are 10 others that are available used through One2Car and probably others that are not for sale.

Really?

Ten McLaren's offered on One2Car and not one of them is a 720S. 

9 hours ago, fullcave said:

Only an imbecile would purchase a 30 million baht sports car to drive on Thai roads. ?

The owner is a Thai...he more than likely doesn't think about other Thai drivers as we do.....and expensive cars are for the rich to buy instead of Toyotas etc...

There's many very wealthy Thais here and many have high end vehicles.... Bentleys, Rolls, Maybachs, Ferraris etc.

On 8/14/2018 at 8:58 AM, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

Is it worth suing somebody with no assets?

Are there debtors prisons?

Many people in the US drive with no insurance at all the Police in most states do nothing 

and you can't get any money out of them. Learned that the hard way.

Florida insurance is required to register vehicle. If you don’t pay insurance they will pull your plates. 

20 hours ago, Just Weird said:
On 8/14/2018 at 9:04 AM, webfact said:

The McLaren is one of only three such cars on the road in Thailand.

Really?  There are 10 others that are available used through One2Car and probably others that are not for sale.

I suspect their research consisted of looking up how many were in the Kingdom having paid the proper taxes. 

That would be pretty easy to look up.  But comically inaccurate...

Edited by impulse