Rise in human rabies deaths blamed on poor quality vaccines

webfact

A large percentage of bar girls come from the rabies infested areas of Thailand.

Another good reason to stay away from coastal beer bar towns.

I am sure i read somewhere recently that a few farangs have contracted rabies while visiting Thailand.

Stray dogs and street bar girls offer pretty much the same risk.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

No Somchai, it's not the fault of the vaccines.

In typical Thai fashion, you're avoiding accountability for YOUR actions.

It's YOUR fault - gather up all the Soi Dogs around Thailand, cull all that are disease-ridden and impose fines and jail time for people that continue to feed them.

• Like 2

Isn't this a comfort? I spend a lot of time outdoors, bicycling, skating, hiking. I came to accept being bitten by dogs as part of life here. I would head down to the hospital and get the vaccine, a series of shots, and pay the piper. No prophylactic vaccine is offered here evidently. I asked at the hospital and got the thousand mile stare. What, prevention? Foolish farang!

I have now had rabies vaccines nine times. Only once was I seriously hurt by dogs, a pack of ten or so that ripped some nice holes in my legs. I was lucky that a Thai guy with a slingshot came to my defense. I now carry one. And some guys actually have the gall to accost me when I shoot at their dogs when they are attacking me. 

So now I am told that the vaccines are low quality and quite a few humans have died from rabies. Wow! A Chinese manufacturer shipped some of this useless stuff to Thailand. The owner is now in jail. I hope they hang him.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Stuart21 said:

Using poor quality vaccines could select a more virulent rabies strain -

The best rabies vaccine is very effective for all Rabies variants/strains....  Rabies vaccines are virtually 100% efficacious when used according to World Health Organization (WHO) recommendations and they have saved millions of lives since they were first developed in the late 1800s. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tigermoth said:

Until the soi dogs and all dogs running free outside the owners property are exterminated they will never get rid of people dieing of rabies. Why do the authorities put dogs lives before human lives????"?

The dogs are growing in number in my street.  Used to be 3 or 4.  Now last night my 2 dogs were barking constantly.. so I went outside to see what the fuss was about.  Outside out gate pulling apart the neighbours rubbish bags were 11 dogs of all sizes.  Went out to scare them off... but they just started barking and growing at me, so I had to retreat.  

Here in Thailand the dog problem is just like any other problem.  Easier and cheaper for the people just to burry their heads in the sand and ignore it.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cchina184 said:

Isn't this a comfort? I spend a lot of time outdoors, bicycling, skating, hiking. I came to accept being bitten by dogs as part of life here. I would head down to the hospital and get the vaccine, a series of shots, and pay the piper. No prophylactic vaccine is offered here evidently. I asked at the hospital and got the thousand mile stare. What, prevention? Foolish farang!

I have now had rabies vaccines nine times. Only once was I seriously hurt by dogs, a pack of ten or so that ripped some nice holes in my legs. I was lucky that a Thai guy with a slingshot came to my defense. I now carry one. And some guys actually have the gall to accost me when I shoot at their dogs when they are attacking me. 

So now I am told that the vaccines are low quality and quite a few humans have died from rabies. Wow! A Chinese manufacturer shipped some of this useless stuff to Thailand. The owner is now in jail. I hope they hang him.

Before flying to southeast Asia.... I had my Rabies Pre-Exposure vaccination shots in Canada with vaccine produced in one of the best western companies recommended by the CDC and WHO.     

A short while ago... just to make sure of its effectiveness over time... I had my titers checked.... and they are at an excellent level.  

If bitten by a rabid animal... I would need only a further two shots of vaccine.. and I would not need the sometimes very hard to find Human Rabies Immune Globulin....  which can also cost a few thousands bucks in some places... 

Not sure I would trust vaccines from some unknown Chinese company.. ...  Nope... don't think I would. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, geriatrickid said:

No, the article was correct in the assessment. One need not be bit to become infected. Remember, while the animal   can be the  vector (agent of infection), the virus is in the  Saliva . It is the saliva that comes in contact with exposed flesh or mucous membrane tissue such as mouth, eye,  nose, that allows the infection to spread. The vaccines are not working and it  highlights a more serious problem: The  animal vaccine makers are also supplying the medication used for the treatment of people who are exposed.

Come and jail me. Also jail the  many health professionals, and leading members of  the local expat Hua Hin community  who support feeding programs. You are clueless as to how to control feral populations of animals.  I am  a grateful to have the opportunity to support the Hua Hin Dog Shelter, initiated by His Majesty, the King in 2003. The centre aims to take care of stray dogs, feeding them, treating them for illness, vaccinating them against disease and finally trying to find them a permanent loving home and a better life.  I dare you to come and tell that to the people who donate their time and money to this wonderful charity. 

However, your comment of people first soi dogs last does raise the question as to who sets the standard for  the "people". As you are well below my social status in respect to education, position in society, wealth, and contribution to society, I deem you unworthy and recommend your quick dispatch.

Not at all. You do not understand the impact, nor benefit  of stable feral populations. The issue has been discussed at length in previous threads.

You have embarrassed yourself already with your failure to understand the issue at hand, but now you venture off into another demonstration of ignorance with your crude misinterpretation of karma. 

Lots of things can cause a bad ineffective vaccine....   Bad/poor production procedures...  poor or no quality control...  poor/improper storage....  way past its shelf life.....  one of these things.. or a combination of these things...

And I would NOT trust a vaccine manufactured in China or the third world which fails to keep up to western vaccine/medical standards..        

If it's manufactured in the U.S., Canada, Europe... Austalia, New Zealand, Japan... Okay.......  But NOT China or some other communist or third world nation.

I get all my shots in the west...U.S/Canada ...   

Edited by Catoni
correction...
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

There are many potentially infected animals out there that have not been tested for rabies, he said.

Yeah many stray dogs adding to the so called owners of many who just let there dog/dogs roam around.

Can't do much about cats except owners keeping them from breeding which they don't bother with.

Just the Thai way and lack of education I guess, rabies is not a nice way to die in unvaccinated humans, rabies is almost always fatal after the symptoms have developed. 

In people, the time between initial contact with the virus and onset of the disease generally ranges from two to eight weeks.

In rare cases, it can vary from 10 days to 2 years, whow.

This situation arises because the Buddha priests told there milking cows for cash( The Thai people) That is against there wishes to kill these stray dogs. It is much better to let them starve to death instead of killing them in a humane way. When I go walking I take a big stick with me and I tell u now there are many soi dogs with sore heads. It's me or the dog and I think I won most times. But thinking now they should let 20,000 Cambodians come in and be able to take 40 dogs back with them to Cambodia.  That way everybody is happy The Buddha priests as the dogs have not been killed in Thailand The Thai people and the farang with no rabies and risk of being bitten and most of all the Cambodians. There would Be food on the table for the next month or so

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lvr181 said:

Well, they didn't, did they? :thumbsup:

Oooh! Unfortunately the one you quoted is referring to the vaccination of dogs and not the medicine they give humans that have been bitten. He can´t care less about that, as long as nobody speak about taking away his much beloved and precious strays.

What do they mean, "No cure for rabies?".   Rabies is both preventable and curable if treated in time.  PEP, is highly successful in preventing the disease if administered promptly, in general within 6 days of infection. Begun with little or no delay, PEP is 100% effective against rabies.

• Confused 1

I have now had rabies vaccines nine times. Only once was I seriously hurt by dogs, a pack of ten or so that ripped some nice holes in my legs. I was lucky that a Thai guy with a slingshot came to my defense. I now carry one.

You carry a Thai guy with a slingshot?

(just kidding)

I do not think you can get vaccinated against rabies.

And, what is the <deleted> about the sticks? The sticks just get the dogs more aware of you, and you are a target, more than before without! If a dog approach you stick your hands above your head, and walk slowly towards them. No angry movements or yelling! It works for me and my gf every time, and I learned it from another chap doing so. I se the angry ones walking with sticks, and become the target instead ?

Just a friendly tip, the stick doesnt help much, it might make you feel more safe, but you are not!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Hummin said:

And, what is the <deleted> about the sticks? The sticks just get the dogs more aware of you, and you are a target, more than before without! If a dog approach you stick your hands above your head, and walk slowly towards them. No angry movements or yelling! It works for me and my gf every time, and I learned it from another chap doing so. I se the angry ones walking with sticks, and become the target instead ?

Just a friendly tip, the stick doesnt help much, it might make you feel more safe, but you are not!

Might tell that to the locals - where I walk in the morning a good third of the people walking or running are carrying sticks because of the soi dogs get fed at 6 AM so they are massing. 

• Like 1

Here we go again. Substandard vaccines... Corruption and the dogs pay the price. And they are saying 17 deaths is an outbreak? 17 Highly preventable deaths if you get vaccinated when bitten. And yet over 20,000 die on the roads here and not one raised eyebrow. And the dogs ultimately pay the price. The government have ignored advice given by NGOs such as the Soi Dog Foundation and yet this now looks to be whipping up the public outrage for yet another mass extermination of dogs with rat poison AKA Set Zero. And let's not forget the dog population problem in Thailand has been created by entirely by humans whether by neglect or superstition.

I was on my morning run down a railroad track passing through a poor area (Bangplat perhaps?) when I spotted this puppy standing stock-still, shivering and slavering. I had never seen a rabid dog before but there was no question in my mind that this poor animal, which could not have been more than about four months old, had all the signs: foaming at the mouth, glazed, blank look in the eyes, trembling. 

Think 'Cujo'.

My first impulse was to warn the children living in the neighborhood and playing in the area. I headed for locals strolling about, and attempted without success but with urgent imploring to point and warn them of 'Ma ba!' The dog had not moved from his position next to the train tracks.

The response was the usual dismissive 'farang ba'. Not one paid any attention to this clear danger. I gave up and continued on my trek.

That attitude perhaps explains why there are so many deaths from rabies (although the experience as narrated above happened in 1985).

• Like 2

Education!!! - The whole village who ate the Buffalo that died of rabies all got sick. They thought it was okay to eat. No one wants to cull or vaccinate the Soi dogs as it is too expensive and of course being Buddhist they won't cull them.  There was this stupid Facebook post from the Group Samui Soi Dogs who claimed the Rabies in Thailand was fake news and overstated.  Whether you are an animal lover or not this is a big problem especially if you walk the streets.

• Like 1