Thai man shoots his young neighbor dead because he wouldn't turn down the music

webfact

18 hours ago, smedly said:

I'm going to assume you were making a joke when you posted that 

Only the part about shooting him in the leg, sort of. Do you not understand that depriving someone of sleep is equivalent to doing them physical damage? You seem to think that what the little punk was doing was trivial and harmless. It was not. He was assaulting the man who actually ended up shooting him.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, oldlakey said:

Partially correct

As with all decent fathers, we should aspire to pass this wisdom to our children. 

I’m going over in my mind now how to tell my son with the impact it deserves. Maybe something like...

“Son, murder is a great option if you’re mad.”

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, catman20 said:

im surprised that your house is in a nice expensive area and all these Thai people can afford to live there along side you.

easy answer then move to the city, problem solved.

I am sure you don't mean to come across as having some 'chip on your shoulder', but those Thai people have lived here for generations in their family homes.  The village has got bigger and more and more new houses are built, and now land is at a premium.

The land prices have risen over the last 10 years since its close to the main road and the city center, and more and more shops, market etc have sprung up, as well as Chiang Mai's biggest shopping mall only 15  minutes away.

I am not trying to show off about my personal finances.... but you were making assumptions that I was living in a poor bad Thai neighbourhood as I could not afford to be in a nice expensive area... and you think is only these poor Thai neighbourhoods that have noise pollution.  I guess you must not have lived here long, or else had the luck to get into some oasis of calm (or a well sound proofed condo).  

5 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

I am sure you don't mean to come across as having some 'chip on your shoulder', but those Thai people have lived here for generations in their family homes.  The village has got bigger and more and more new houses are built, and now land is at a premium.

The land prices have risen over the last 10 years since its close to the main road and the city center, and more and more shops, market etc have sprung up, as well as Chiang Mai's biggest shopping mall only 15  minutes away.

I am not trying to show off about my personal finances.... but you were making assumptions that I was living in a poor bad Thai neighbourhood as I could not afford to be in a nice expensive area... and you think is only these poor Thai neighbourhoods that have noise pollution.  I guess you must not have lived here long, or else had the luck to get into some oasis of calm (or a well sound proofed condo).  

i dont have any type of chip on my shoulder i just like to say it the way it is.........its called telling the truth. which some people cant handle the truth.

ive lived here full time in Thailand 18 years i live in a up market village with 70 houses in it we dont have any Thai owners here as it is too expensive, we have rules and regulation that people have to live by and therefor no problems with noise from anyone, as for living near a main road i would not entertain that at all. i do live in an oasis of calm 80  meters from our own private beach and it had nothing to do with luck it was more to do with real money. i get the feeling you live where you live cos of a females influence i.e its where the wife comes from or the land belong to her parents or some sort of baloney like that. anyway you continue to live with all your noisy neighbors and ill continue living in my oasis. enjoy na.?

Edited by catman20

6 hours ago, bushdoctor said:

As with all decent fathers, we should aspire to pass this wisdom to our children. 

I’m going over in my mind now how to tell my son with the impact it deserves. Maybe something like...

“Son, murder is a great option if you’re mad.”

One can only do ones best, because children eventually become adults 

I dont advocate murder, just a bit tongue in cheek not the way to go as your posts demonstrate I go with property damage very satisfying for me anyway

Only ever been apprehended once but then I was legless at the time but it helped me no end and just cost me a few quid in compensation

Then you live to fight another day

5 hours ago, catman20 said:

i dont have any type of chip on my shoulder i just like to say it the way it is.........its called telling the truth. which some people cant handle the truth.

ive lived here full time in Thailand 18 years i live in a up market village with 70 houses in it we dont have any Thai owners here as it is too expensive, we have rules and regulation that people have to live by and therefor no problems with noise from anyone, as for living near a main road i would not entertain that at all. i do live in an oasis of calm 80  meters from our own private beach and it had nothing to do with luck it was more to do with real money. i get the feeling you live where you live cos of a females influence i.e its where the wife comes from or the land belong to her parents or some sort of baloney like that. anyway you continue to live with all your noisy neighbors and ill continue living in my oasis. enjoy na.?

More assumptions.  I consider myself very lucky and blessed to have enough money for a good life. However, I am not materialistic or a snob as you come across as.

For your information:

1.  We do not live in a poor bad Thai neighbourhood. Land here is at a premium price and has risen sharply over the last 5 years.

2.  We do not have lack of money for an expensive house.  This house is expensive... as the one we sold for profit was even more expensive.. we decided to downsize as looking after 4 Rai of land was too much and the huge house (although in a beautiful location at the base of the mountains with our own lake and huge swimming pool) was too far from the city center.  

3.   We have lived here 15 years full time plus 6 years part time in the beginning.

4.  We also have a brand new modern condo in Phuket..... also with a private beach. But we rent that out and would not like to live in Phuket because Chiang Mai is more suitable for us. Only go there for a holiday a few times a year.

5.  I am not retired.. many more years till I am at that age.

6.  I don't have a Thai women partner.  I have a male farang partner of 25 years together.

We could sell this house (probably at a nice profit too).  But we only finished building it and moving in about 6 months ago and the design and look is stunning.  Can't be bothered going through moving house again for a while, and we have enough going on at the moment to mean our lives don't have much time for organising all that again.

Enjoy your Oasis.  You are very lucky to have such a quiet place.  

And stop assuming stuff about my finances and personal life.

Some of the comments are as shocking as this murder. Much of the responsibility lays at the feet of the police who are impotent when dealing with noise complaints; an uneducated and violent public and a culture that ignores bad behaviors in general. By the way, this article is about Thailand, so spare the comments about whete elsewhere is worse, different or special.

On 8/15/2018 at 4:22 AM, smedly said:

yes he deserved to be murdered for loud music - right ??

Are you insane ? you have very clearly lost it along with those that "liked" your post

He should have called the police, it is their job to sort stuff like this out - if they fail to do so (which is likely) it does not give anyone the right to take a gun and murder someone 

You are so naive about modern society. Police dont care and people would make the same thing again the next. I can understand people get mad and actually the fact that people not willing to comply with minimal requierments so that honnest people can live and  rest makes me insensitive about their destiny.

1 hour ago, bodymassagemyfriend said:

You are so naive about modern society. Police dont care and people would make the same thing again the next. I can understand people get mad and actually the fact that people not willing to comply with minimal requierments so that honnest people can live and  rest makes me insensitive about their destiny.

so your solution is buy a gun and shoot anyone that you feel has annoyed you

you really are one of those scary people that can't figure out the difference between reality (normal thinking) and what ever world you think you are living in...…………………..time to switch channels or better still - go seek help   

seriously scary - and BTW - I have been dealing with people like you all my life - I know the signs

If you manage to get your hands on a firearm in Thailand - can I make a suggestion as to what you do with it

Maybe it was an unfortunate sudden movement on the part of the deceased that ended up with his death.  Somboon probably just wanted to shoot out his eardrums reasoning that the bullet wouldn't cause any other damage as it passed through and took out the right eardrum.  No eardrums no listening to music.  His movement caused him to be hit in the temple instead.

For the bleeding hearts try directing your sympathy to those who are murdered when (almost or totally) innocent as the victims of Mr Fat probably were.

This rule is known as Kant’s “Formula for Humanity.”

“Act that you use humanity, whether in your own person or in the person of any other, always at the same time as an end, never merely as a means.”

• Confused 2

On 8/17/2018 at 5:33 PM, jak2002003 said:

More assumptions.  I consider myself very lucky and blessed to have enough money for a good life. However, I am not materialistic or a snob as you come across as.

For your information:

1.  We do not live in a poor bad Thai neighbourhood. Land here is at a premium price and has risen sharply over the last 5 years.

2.  We do not have lack of money for an expensive house.  This house is expensive... as the one we sold for profit was even more expensive.. we decided to downsize as looking after 4 Rai of land was too much and the huge house (although in a beautiful location at the base of the mountains with our own lake and huge swimming pool) was too far from the city center.  

3.   We have lived here 15 years full time plus 6 years part time in the beginning.

4.  We also have a brand new modern condo in Phuket..... also with a private beach. But we rent that out and would not like to live in Phuket because Chiang Mai is more suitable for us. Only go there for a holiday a few times a year.

5.  I am not retired.. many more years till I am at that age.

6.  I don't have a Thai women partner.  I have a male farang partner of 25 years together.

We could sell this house (probably at a nice profit too).  But we only finished building it and moving in about 6 months ago and the design and look is stunning.  Can't be bothered going through moving house again for a while, and we have enough going on at the moment to mean our lives don't have much time for organising all that again.

Enjoy your Oasis.  You are very lucky to have such a quiet place.  

And stop assuming stuff about my finances and personal life.

However, I am not materialistic or a snob .

yeah right :cheesy:

• Haha 1

Some people have replied that it’s dangerous to ask a Thai to turn down music, or they’ll just turn it louder, because of Face.  

I don’t understand... do they lose face because someone else finds them loud, or do they lose face because someone dared to ask them to lower the music?  I’ve been wondering about this and wanted to ask this thread before it got too stale.

On 8/17/2018 at 12:09 PM, smedly said:

so your solution is buy a gun and shoot anyone that you feel has annoyed you

you really are one of those scary people that can't figure out the difference between reality (normal thinking) and what ever world you think you are living in...…………………..time to switch channels or better still - go seek help   

seriously scary - and BTW - I have been dealing with people like you all my life - I know the signs

If you manage to get your hands on a firearm in Thailand - can I make a suggestion as to what you do with it

You are missing the point smedley. Imagine that every time the guy tried to leave his house the little punk was yelling insults at him and punching him in the face, and that the authorities did nothing to stop it. Eventually he would take matters into his own hands and maybe grab a gun. The constant assault of loud music in the middle of the night while trying to sleep drove this man to take matters into his own hands. Of course no one normal actually thinks murder is an appropriate end to the story, but some of us sympathize with the shooters frustrations over the situation and feel that the noisy little punk bears some measure of responsibility for his fate by showing complete disrespect for the shooter's well being.

This constant disruption of his sleep is more than an annoyance, it is in fact a form of assault. Some governments use sleep deprivation as a form of torture. You don't seem to appreciate what kind of torture the shooter was going through that drove him to this extreme reaction.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, charmonman said:

You are missing the point smedley. Imagine that every time the guy tried to leave his house the little punk was yelling insults at him and punching him in the face, and that the authorities did nothing to stop it. Eventually he would take matters into his own hands and maybe grab a gun. The constant assault of loud music in the middle of the night while trying to sleep drove this man to take matters into his own hands. Of course no one normal actually thinks murder is an appropriate end to the story, but some of us sympathize with the shooters frustrations over the situation and feel that the noisy little punk bears some measure of responsibility for his fate by showing complete disrespect for the shooter's well being.

This constant disruption of his sleep is more than an annoyance, it is in fact a form of assault. Some governments use sleep deprivation as a form of torture. You don't seem to appreciate what kind of torture the shooter was going through that drove him to this extreme reaction.

Since the article never mentioned that the kid would throw insults and punch him in the face every time he left the house, and it never said the police were called, or that the noise was ongoing, it seems as if you are making excuses for the murderer. 

3 hours ago, bushdoctor said:

Since the article never mentioned that the kid would throw insults and punch him in the face every time he left the house, and it never said the police were called, or that the noise was ongoing, it seems as if you are making excuses for the murderer. 

It was meant as an analogous situation to explain the seriousness of the harm done by constant loud music. That's why i wrote  "IMAGINE that every time ... ". Do you know the meaning of the word "imagine"? How in the world did you understand from what I wrote that I was saying the kid actually was doing it? Try to read more carefully before you comment.

19 minutes ago, charmonman said:

It was meant as an analogous situation to explain the seriousness of the harm done by constant loud music. That's why i wrote  "IMAGINE that every time ... ". Do you know the meaning of the word "imagine"? How in the world did you understand from what I wrote that I was saying the kid actually was doing it? Try to read more carefully before you comment.

Ok then how about not imagining and dealing with reality. Murder is a horrible response to playing music louder than you’d like 

6 hours ago, charmonman said:

It should be handled by the police enforcing the law, that is how it is supposed to work, granted in Thailand the police have no interest but that is an entirely different situation that needs urgent attention, people on here supporting what this individual did is still wrong on any level, there are many annoying things that people confront on a daily basis - none of them justify murdering someone

11 hours ago, smedly said:

It should be handled by the police enforcing the law, that is how it is supposed to work, granted in Thailand the police have no interest but that is an entirely different situation that needs urgent attention, people on here supporting what this individual did is still wrong on any level, there are many annoying things that people confront on a daily basis - none of them justify murdering someone

The police have no interest is an entirely different situation?  How do you figure that?  What was he supposed to do, just put up with no sleep for as long as they wanted to play loud music? Days, weeks, years?

We don't know if he had been to the police, asked them numerous times to turn down the volume or threatened for doing so.

At the end of the day the young man is dead and Somboon's life is stuffed because the young tosser couldn't care less about anyone but himself.  The more of his type there are in the world the more incidents of this type will happen.

• Like 1

All this could have been avoided with some wax earplugs from Boots, I bought them in the local pharmacy here and slept through Songkran a few years ago with heavy base music just next door

Rip to the young fellow, didn't deserve this

Image result for wax earplugs boots

Edited by richiejom

16 minutes ago, richiejom said:

All this could have been avoided with some wax earplugs from Boots, I bought them in the local pharmacy here and slept through Songkran a few years ago with heavy base music just next door

Deserve has got nothing to do with it

14 minutes ago, richiejom said:

Yes.  And it could have been avoided by a bit of common decency and consideration for others.  Why should everyone or anyone bow to the unacceptable behaviour of others.  Somboon could also have moved out and rented a room in a hotel too.  How far should the victims of this sort of behaviour go to let the tossers of this world have their own way?

• Like 2

I didn't say the young guy was totally innocent but after asking and getting ignored I would have found someway of blocking out the noise...noise cancelling headphones are expensive and not everyone knows about wax earplugs unfortunately..   I doubt the youngster was expecting to be murdered for it though

I’m guessing Somboom himself wishes he had bought earplugs or one of many other other sane options, instead of the immature emotional outburst that took his freedom. 

Sombooms action was wrong. Thai society disapproves of it as well, hence his new residence. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bushdoctor said:

I’m guessing Somboom himself wishes he had bought earplugs or one of many other other sane options, instead of the immature emotional outburst that took his freedom. 

Sombooms action was wrong. Thai society disapproves of it as well, hence his new residence. 

Well I suppose its a start of sorts