Another day on Thai roads - another 58 corpses

webfact

Another day on Thai roads - another 58 corpses

10PM.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Tuesday was a particularly bad day for road deaths with Daily News reporting that 58 people died at the scene of accidents.

While this was the worst single day this month the figures are still unofficial and will surely be much higher when all jurisdictions report and those that die in hospitals are taken into account.

Daily News said that one of the worst cases on Tuesday involved a young lady motorcyclist who had just left the showroom on her Zoomer-X.

It had 2 kilometers on the clock when 19 year old Looksorn Bunchoo from Sisaket was involved in a collision.

The Thai media - determined to pull no punches in reporting the road carnage - were very graphic in describing what happened to Looksorn.

Suffice to say her head was crushed beyond recognition. A pick-up was parked 40 meters away from the accident scene on the Rangsit to Nakorn Nayok road near the Piak Hua Pla Restaurant.

The helmet was unused under the seat of the bike and the ignition key was still in its plastic covering.

Daily News also showed video from an accident featured on Thaivisa earlier in the year when a student on the way to school was crushed to death under the wheels of a Song Thaew when another bike came quickly out of a side turning.

It was time to remind all riders to wear helmets, they said in their story.

So far 8,901 people have died at the scene of accidents since the start of 2018.

In August there have been 453 such fatalities.

Thaivisa notes that the monthly death toll is probably around 2,000 in Thailand when all fatalities are taken into consideration.

Thailand has the worst accident statistics per capita of anywhere on earth, it has been claimed.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-08-15

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand has the worst accident statistics per capita of anywhere on earth, it has been claimed.

That really is quite appalling for a so called modern society within Asia .. Bet they don't trumpet that one at the forthcoming ASEAN beano they are desperate to chair .. " come to Thailand we have the worst casualties rates in the world .. You might even be one of them if you visit " .. But an insight into why this continues to happen might be found here .. 

Zebra's are indigenous to Africa no ? but the Thai' seem to have taken a liking to the stripey horses as they compare their markings to that of pedestrian or Zebra crossings which they perceive as lucky .! Yet they never even bloody slow down let alone stop when ped's are on a crossing .. So unlucky for the ped' .. No hope with unfathomable hocus pocus logic like that .. The carnage will continue .. 

IMG_20180813_193445_20180815112750185_20180815112907966.jpg

Edited by Justgrazing
Sp
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, Sir Dude said:

As long as the locals are quite happy to accept the slaughter because none of them give a toss about it all (and there is zero indication of any desire for change)...then the bloodbath will continue. Also, it's not just a single issue like the situation on the roads, it can be stripped down to just a basic generic predisposition to be indifferent to almost anything other than themselves/money and it can be seen in many, many ways here...if not in almost everything. The road situation is just a very obvious and glaring example of it.

At their core they know that this life is but one of many.

Even the most "sophisticated" of them carry that certainty (perhaps unconsciously) within themselves.

Just as the most "sophisticated" of us carry equivalent (Western) certainties around within ourselves.  My favourite Western certainties are that the Garden of Eden can be re-created and "they all lived happily ever after".

Such cultural certainties reveal themselves in many (often subtle) ways.

Possibly things might begin to change if you were able to convince them that they only have one life.

Good luck with that.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Why is this even news?

Death and mayhem on Thai roads is just a way of life.

Nobody cares about obeying the rules of the road, for God sake maybe having working tail lights!

For the inept Thai journalist community this is a Godsend. Same story, different date, change the death toll and you're done.

Maybe if they could actually agree what side of the road they drive on it would be a start.

Welcome to Thailand

1 hour ago, overherebc said:

Not more than 30 minutes ago I was behind a small bike/scooter and the woman in 'control' of it had 3 kids on it as well. One sitting on her lap, one standing in front of her and one sitting behind her. Everyone of them in shorts T,shirts etc and not a helmet in sight.

Stupid is as stupid does.

Sadly they are a statistic in waiting.

2 hours ago, Briggsy said:

This is possible, the spiritual angle. The time of the death and rebirth is predetermined and all that.

My personal view is that the death tolls largely stems from indiscipline. Indiscipline of all sorts.

Indiscipline in following rules (of the road).

Indiscipline in using safety equipment (seat belts, helmets).

Indiscipline in law enforcement.

Indiscipline in self-restraint in relation to the safety of others including their own children.

The list goes on.

We will have to agree to differ in opinion.

Indifference vs. Indiscipline huh...hmmm, could be argued either way and seems the line is very fine here between the two. Maybe I'm too cynical or you are optimistic...tough one to call, but will stick to my diagnosis of indifference. Cheers though, and it could easily even be a mix of both.

Edited by Sir Dude
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, AdamTheFarang said:

As you can see in my catchphrase below one thing that stands out in Thailand that I have never seen any where else in the world is pulling out on to a road especially a larger road without looking. Why do Thais do this? There should be automatic jail of 5 years for anyone that causes an accident for not looking! There clearly needs to be a deterrent.

In a similar thread a good while ago I posted about this. I asked a couple of Thai people why they don't stop and check. The answer I was given was that if they do it slowly and then drive slowly for a little bit then it gives other people on the main road the chance to go past them easily by just moving out a little bit. All I could say was OK, there isn't much more that I could say. 

The vast majority start on bikes and motorbikes and just turning left and staying left becomes ingrained so when they get behind the wheel of a pick-up or car the same habit just continues.

We see it as stupid, of course, but here it's just normal driving.

A structured system of driver training and testing doesn't exist and I don't think it ever will. 

We can talk about it, post about it on here forever and at the end it will result in

000point nothing blank.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, overherebc said:

In a similar thread a good while ago I posted about this. I asked a couple of Thai people why they don't stop and check. The answer I was given was that if they do it slowly and then drive slowly for a little bit then it gives other people on the main road the chance to go past them easily by just moving out a little bit. All I could say was OK, there isn't much more that I could say. 

The vast majority start on bikes and motorbikes and just turning left and staying left becomes ingrained so when they get behind the wheel of a pick-up or car the same habit just continues.

We see it as stupid, of course, but here it's just normal driving.

A structured system of driver training and testing doesn't exist and I don't think it ever will. 

We can talk about it, post about it on here forever and at the end it will result in

000point nothing blank.

All I know if I am entering an area where a heavy truck can kill me in a second I look before I enter, or if I can see I stop. 

• Like 1

The driving skills are not getting any better, I would say it's even worse now. I drive on average about 35 km a day and there is not one day without drivers (not one driver, but a score of drivers!) that are speeding, do not keep safe distance or just being bullies on the road. There is no wonder about the number of daily casualties because the driving is appalling. Instead of lazy checkpoints the police should be on the road and stop the aggressive drivers that create dangerous situations on the road.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, YaiJung said:

It is clearly the fault of the government and people who run the show.  They are such a bunch of corrupt thieves that they are terrified to enforce basic laws on the public.  Don't upset the status quo and they can continue to rob, steal, and take advantage of a minimally-educated, complacent, cheap workforce. 

It isn't a secret, how to make the roads safer.  In this day and age, it is a clear choice by the people at the top. 

Wow maybe time to get out of Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I don't have all the figures to hand but I would like to see  on time scale the comparisons, time and number of cars on the roads per year from the start of general ownership of cars by the public for say UK and Thailand alongside miles of road built over the same time period.

Another two graphs, if possible, showing over the years the increase in performance in cars bought by the general public.

I'm thinking that the graphs might show a more gradual and slow increase in UK and a faster increase per year for both numbers and performance figures in Thailand.

If you know what I'm trying to say.

Edited by overherebc