Education Visa? Want to stay in Udon Thani

Hello TVers. 

Does anyone have any thoughts or knowledge on obtaining an education visa in UT, the best or cheapest way to go about it, and what the enforced expectations are of attendance? Would it make more sense financially or if I was not sure I could attend consistently (I can't) if  I obtained one from a different province? I understand there  are also non-Thai education programs, such as Muai Thai classes or even others, so I'd like to know more if someone could elaborate a little. 

Much thanks~

TR

AUA Language Center in Udon Thani would be one place to contact. I know they had students on ED-visa before.

You will also have Udon Thani University that offers a Diploma course in Thai over 1 year. Attend school 3 hours every day between monday-friday. Pretty sure they will be approved to give an ED-visa for their courses.

This info is not from this year, but has been offered before. You will have to check that up by yourself. Good Luck!

Thanks Ubon and GetReal, I will into it. Do you know what they expect in terms of attendance, typically (if there is a typical)? I can't stand the insecurity of not knowing that I will be able to stay in Thailand. It messes with my motivation to sign a lease, buy a motorcycle/moped, or even form friendships or more here. Is there a better way than these visa runs for someone not yet 50? What costs are involved?

7 hours ago, ThaiRebound said:

Thanks Ubon and GetReal, I will into it. Do you know what they expect in terms of attendance, typically (if there is a typical)? I can't stand the insecurity of not knowing that I will be able to stay in Thailand. It messes with my motivation to sign a lease, buy a motorcycle/moped, or even form friendships or more here. Is there a better way than these visa runs for someone not yet 50? What costs are involved?

If attending a language school or any other informal school you would only get 90 day extensions for a total stay of one year including the 90 day entry from a non-ed visa. It requires enrollment for a  course of study of 400 hours and attendance for 2 hours a day 4 days a week. If attending a formal school such as a university you could get a one year extension.

One option is membership in Thai Elite to get a PE visa valid for 5 years that allows unlimited one year entries. You can get a 5 year membership by paying 500k baht. There are longer memberships available that are good for up to to 20 years. See: https://www.thailandelite.com/?locate=en

• 3 weeks later...

JackThompson,

Thank you for your information and advice. Could you explain how my entering Thailand through flight from Vietnam (March 2018, US Citizen, 60 day SETV), and perhaps that I have also obtained a second visa on the same passport in Vientiane, affects my chance to stay here in perpetuity? Also, these are all included on the same passport. In a couple weeks, I will go back to try to obtain another SETV. 

If I obtain this new visa in VN, then at end of December it will expire. Could you advise as to what may be the best course of action at that point? Would it be possible to receive a new visa again (where? it will be 3rd for the year)? Would I do best to exit at that time and re-enter for a 30 day, and then go back in 1/2019 to apply for a new SETV? Would it be better to get a new passport altogether--if yes, than why? Does it matter whether I get that passport in or out of Thailand? 

Replies from any experienced members appreciated, too. 

Thanks, 

TR

11 hours ago, ThaiRebound said:

JackThompson,

Thank you for your information and advice. Could you explain how my entering Thailand through flight from Vietnam (March 2018, US Citizen, 60 day SETV), and perhaps that I have also obtained a second visa on the same passport in Vientiane, affects my chance to stay here in perpetuity? Also, these are all included on the same passport. In a couple weeks, I will go back to try to obtain another SETV. 

If I obtain this new visa in VN, then at end of December it will expire. Could you advise as to what may be the best course of action at that point? Would it be possible to receive a new visa again (where? it will be 3rd for the year)? Would I do best to exit at that time and re-enter for a 30 day, and then go back in 1/2019 to apply for a new SETV? Would it be better to get a new passport altogether--if yes, than why? Does it matter whether I get that passport in or out of Thailand? 

Replies from any experienced members appreciated, too. 

Thanks, 

TR

There are 2 things to consider:

1. Obtaining new Tourist Visas at Thai Consulates
  2. Entering the Country

For the first consideration, keep an eye on this forum for updates on the policies of the various consulates, because they all make up their own rules, and those rules can change without notice.

Some consulates will only issue a limited number of Tourist Visas  - some even count those issued by other consulates - before adding a little stamp to the Tourist Visa they issue, which says something like, "This person travels to Thailand frequently using Tourist Visas...."   Once you have that extra-stamp, many consulates will no longer issue a Tourist Visa in that passport.  As a general rule, Vientiane will almost always give you a Tourist Visa until you have the "extra stamp" on a Tourist Visa (from any consulate).

Some consulates are not reported to add this stamp - such as Savannakhet, Laos - but they generally have more requirements needed to apply.  These may include a rental-agreement or hotel-booking, a bank-statement with 20K+ worth of cash (can be your home bank), and a flight-out within either 60 or 90 days from the date of application (days vary by consulate). 

At any point where you receive the extra-stamp - upon your next entry to Thailand, I would recommend applying for a new passport from your embassy immediately, so you will have plenty of time to get it back well before your "permitted stay" ends.   I would not get a new passport before receiving the "extra-stamp," in order to maximize its use.   The only reason to get your passport in another country, would be to have not even the one transferred TR-entry in it.  Two in a passport is not a lot, though Phonom Penh might extra-stamp you, if you tried there (this happened to me with only 2, at which point Vientiane rejected on my next attempt there).

I would save land-border Visa-Exempt entries for emergency situations - for example, you go to get a Tourist Visa, but the rules at that consulate have unexpectedly changed, and you are denied.  If you have stayed a considerable period of time, I would never try Visa-Exempt by airport-entry.

---------------------------

For the second consideration, all land-borders except Poipet/Aranya are reported to be following the laws and regulations as written.  Therefore, you can enter with a valid Tourist Visa at these locations without a problem.  There is no "limit" of doing this in the law.  But, there is a written regulation that those entering can be asked to show 20K Baht worth of cash or travelers checks (any exchangeable currency) - so best to always have this (current reports indicate Malaysian crossings are the ones asking to see it, but this could change). 

Also, have your exact address in Thailand handy.  When I was using TR Visas, I always carried a business-card for my condo, given the TM-6 form-space is limited - the legibility of which, IOs seemed to appreciate, given they seem to enter this into their computer-terminal.

Visa-Exempt entries - up to 2 (by land) per calendar year - are also possible at these crossings - but keep in mind, these are issued at the prerogative of Immigration (vs the MFA for Visas), so entry this way can be refused more easily than a Visa-entry (especially by air or at Poipet/Aranya).

If you choose to fly-in to the country, and have a longer-stay history, you could run into problems at some "unsafe" Airport checkpoints, where non-written rules are quoted as law, then denials issued based on something else.  Bangkok has the most bad-reports (both airports), though there have been some from Samui, Phuket, etc over the years.  It is very unlikely you will be denied with a Tourist Visa and the Cash required at an airport, but this has been reported here a few times.  Chang Mai might be your best bet, based on the lack of bad-reports - but the lack of reports could be due to a smaller number of persons trying there.

Factors affecting your odds of successful-entry include the length of time you have spent here in recent months/years, how long you have stayed-out between time-in-Thailand, and your age and appearance.  We don't know exactly what the factors are, since none of these are written laws/regulations regarding entry with a Tourist Visa - just guesses based on reports of what was said by IOs and those who were targeted for denial.

Also, even if you have a new passport, Immigration will have a full record of all your previous entries in their system.  The only advantage of a new passport, with regard to immigration, is fewer used-pages for them to review, and no "Thai-stamp after Thai-stamp" catching their attention - but the latter is only an issue if not entering at a safe entry-point.

On 9/11/2018 at 8:48 PM, JackThompson said:

Some consulates will only issue a limited number of Tourist Visas  - some even count those issued by other consulates - before adding a little stamp to the Tourist Visa they issue, which says something like, "This person travels to Thailand frequently using Tourist Visas...."   Once you have that extra-stamp, many consulates will no longer issue a Tourist Visa in that passport.  As a general rule, Vientiane will almost always give you a Tourist Visa until you have the "extra stamp" on a Tourist Visa (from any consulate).

Is this extra-stamp (red or not) with with English words on it, or is that a translation in quotes?

Some consulates are not reported to add this stamp - such as Savannakhet, Laos - but they generally have more requirements needed to apply.  These may include a rental-agreement or hotel-booking, a bank-statement with 20K+ worth of cash (can be your home bank), and a flight-out within either 60 or 90 days from the date of application (days vary by consulate). 

At any point where you receive the extra-stamp - upon your next entry to Thailand, I would recommend applying for a new passport from your embassy immediately, so you will have plenty of time to get it back well before your "permitted stay" ends.   I would not get a new passport before receiving the "extra-stamp," in order to maximize its use.   The only reason to get your passport in another country, would be to have not even the one transferred TR-entry in it.  Two in a passport is not a lot, though Phonom Penh might extra-stamp you, if you tried there (this happened to me with only 2, at which point Vientiane rejected on my next attempt there).

"Two in a passport is not a lot"

What number of TR-Entry (Tourist Visa?) entries is a lot? I have two already and am going for a third. When I have that number ("a lot"), would you recommend changing passports to prevent getting an extra-stamp?

I would save land-border Visa-Exempt entries for emergency situations - for example, you go to get a Tourist Visa, but the rules at that consulate have unexpectedly changed, and you are denied.  If you have stayed a considerable period of time, I would never try Visa-Exempt by airport-entry.

---------------------------

For the second consideration, all land-borders except Poipet/Aranya are reported to be following the laws and regulations as written.  Therefore, you can enter with a valid Tourist Visa at these locations without a problem.  There is no "limit" of doing this in the law.  But, there is a written regulation that those entering can be asked to show 20K Baht worth of cash or travelers checks (any exchangeable currency) - so best to always have this (current reports indicate Malaysian crossings are the ones asking to see it, but this could change). 

I had not considered using Poipet/Aranya border. Is there any advantage to doing so over choosing other border crossings?

Can you advise to my situation specifically about what I should do now that I have an SETV (March this year, Vietnam), another from Vientiane 3 months later, and now hopefully another another one at the end of this month. I want to decide what is best to do to, assuming I do not get extra-stamped this time, next time for a SETV. Get another passport? Go to a different border? Go back to Vientiane, as preferred? Other? 

Thank you for your help!

TR

On 8/18/2018 at 11:45 PM, ThaiRebound said:

It's called 'WIFE' ... could turn out 'Wonderful and Expensive' OR just 'Wonderful' OR just 'Expensive' ... luck of the draw ?

• Like 2

11 hours ago, ThaiRebound said:

Is this extra-stamp (red or not) with with English words on it, or is that a translation in quotes?

This stamp is written in English and stamped on top of the visa-sticker they issue - sometimes in small print, so look carefully.

"Two in a passport is not a lot"

What number of TR-Entry (Tourist Visa?) entries is a lot? I have two already and am going for a third. When I have that number ("a lot"), would you recommend changing passports to prevent getting an extra-stamp?

In terms of consulates issuing another Tourist Visa, it varies by consulate.  Two consecutive is "a lot" now at Phnom Penh (enough for me to get the extra-stamp) - but Vientiane will issue 3 or 4 before the extra-stamp, and Savannakhet has been known to issue them longer, provided one can meet their more-strict qualifications. 

Given recent changes, if one "shops around" from the most difficult consulates to the more lenient, one can generally get 2 years+ worth of Visas from a passport.

I had not considered using Poipet/Aranya border. Is there any advantage to doing so over choosing other border crossings?

It is the one land-crossing that should never be used by anyone here frequently or longer-term.

Can you advise to my situation specifically about what I should do now that I have an SETV (March this year, Vietnam), another from Vientiane 3 months later, and now hopefully another another one at the end of this month. I want to decide what is best to do to, assuming I do not get extra-stamped this time, next time for a SETV. Get another passport? Go to a different border? Go back to Vientiane, as preferred? Other?

These consulate-policies can change without notice - but, it is very unlikely you will get the extra-stamp from Vientiane until your 3rd or 4th TR Visa from them.  You could get another one there, then use Savannakhet from that point forward.  You could also try the other Vietnam consulate or Hong Kong next, then back to Vientiane (one), then Savannakhet until they say "no-more."

In your next passport, assuming current-conditions hold, I would save Vientiane until later, and hit the "more problems" consulates first.  If it were me, maybe get your next passport from your embassy in Phnom Penh, and obtain your first Tourist Visa there (bank-statement with 1K USD equivalent and 3+day wait), then Penang, then Vietnam (once or twice - maybe one in HK before Vietnam for 2 total), then Vientiane twice, then to Savannakhet until they say "no more."   Then, time for a new passport, again.

Also, some time out of Thailand before returning on these Visa-trips can help dispel the perception you are working a job here illegally.

Edited by JackThompson

• 2 months later...

I went to the UT immigration office for the 30 day extension. The clerk who processed the docs and took my photo behind the counter -- who also seems to have been there for years -- said that there is no limit to the number of tourist visas one could get when crossing the border. I explained that I had two in that way, and she said it didn't matter, that any limit referred only to 2 times for the 30-day visa exempt entry, and that she regularly saw people's passports with multiple consecutive tourist visas from Vientiane. I am not sure what to make of this or what creedence to attach to her statements. Any thoughts?

Edited by ThaiRebound
30 day at border --> visa exempt entry

23 minutes ago, ThaiRebound said:

I am not sure what to make of this or what creedence to attach to her statements.

There is no limit on the number of entries you can do at land border crossings if you have a valid visa for entry. The rule is only for 30 day visa exempt entries.

You could also get METV from your home country and if used carefully, that will give almost 9 months. People have reported back-to-back METVs. But long term on tourist visa is becoming hard.

Thailand seems to be wanting wealthy long-term tourists and one option is to use Elite Visa as some poster has suggested. It is 500K (baht) or approximately USD16K.

If you're young (between 30-40 or even less) and only want to spend a few years (2/3), it is not a good option. In that scenario, it is better to go for METV. 

Love, marriage, wife is another option. Another option is to find a job. I don't know your situation and qualification, etc. If you're an independent freelancer working online, you can look into iglu or coffee asia. They will give you Business visa and WP and for a percentage of your incomes. You can look into those also. 

Edited by onera1961
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

There is no limit on the number of entries you can do at land border crossings if you have a valid visa for entry. The rule is only for 30 day visa exempt entries.

Her point was that back to back 60 days visas aren't ever an issue, or at least 3 in a row.

2 hours ago, onera1961 said:

You could also get METV from your home country and if used carefully, that will give almost 9 months. People have reported back-to-back METVs. But long term on tourist visa is becoming hard.

Thailand seems to be wanting wealthy long-term tourists and one option is to use Elite Visa as some poster has suggested. It is 500K (baht) or approximately USD16K.

If you're young (between 30-40 or even less) and only want to spend a few years (2/3), it is not a good option. In that scenario, it is better to go for METV. 

Love, marriage, wife is another option. Another option is to find a job. I don't know your situation and qualification, etc. If you're an independent freelancer working online, you can look into iglu or coffee asia. They will give you Business visa and WP and for a percentage of your incomes. You can look into those also. 

Onera, thank you for that kind summary of options. METV back to back is very risky?

7 hours ago, ThaiRebound said:

Onera, thank you for that kind summary of options. METV back to back is very risky?

If embassy gives you, I think it is less risky that SETVs from neighboring countries reason being a) You're going back to your home country b) for METV you have to show substantial cash in your bank account b) if embassy rejects METV, you are not forced to buy expensive ticket to your passport country. But always keep 20K baht, a valid ticket out of the country, and a solid story why you're in Thailand for long-term. If you're working online, never mention that to IO. May be just say that you're in SE Asia tour with Thailand as your base or something similar, or have a girl friend, etc. etc. 

I spent three years in Thailand 2011-2013 on tourist visa, visa runs, and ED visa. Never used land-crossing but flew from all neighboring airports. It was easy time. Nobody questioned what I'm doing in Thailand. 

Edited by onera1961
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, ThaiRebound said:

I went to the UT immigration office for the 30 day extension. The clerk who processed the docs and took my photo behind the counter -- who also seems to have been there for years -- said that there is no limit to the number of tourist visas one could get when crossing the border. I explained that I had two in that way, and she said it didn't matter, that any limit referred only to 2 times for the 30-day visa exempt entry, and that she regularly saw people's passports with multiple consecutive tourist visas from Vientiane. I am not sure what to make of this or what creedence to attach to her statements. Any thoughts?

There USE to be no limit of back to back tourist visas you could get....I went to Laos and got back to back tourist visas for about 6 years before I was 50....But all reports for years now say virtually no one can live of tourist visas for multiple years these days........

41 minutes ago, fforest1 said:
15 hours ago, ThaiRebound said:

There USE to be no limit of back to back tourist visas you could get....I went to Laos and got back to back tourist visas for about 6 years before I was 50....But all reports for years now say virtually no one can live of tourist visas for multiple years these days........

I think what immigration was conveying to ThaiRebound, was that there is no limit to "crossing the border" by land with Tourist Visas - only a limit to Visa Exempts which can be obtained that way (2 per calendar year).  Problems entering with a valid Tourist Visa are only reported at the Bangkok airports and Poipet/Aranyaprathet - no problem crossing via the bridge from Vientiane.

As to obtaining Tourist Visas from consulates, one can get 2+ years out of each passport, if they are willing to visit different consulates, and visit them in a wise order (more difficult ones first, with a new passport, then the rest).  Once a new passport is obtained (as recommended by consulate-personnel), the cycle can be repeated.

2 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

I think what immigration was conveying to ThaiRebound, was that there is no limit to "crossing the border" by land with Tourist Visas - only a limit to Visa Exempts which can be obtained that way (2 per calendar year).  Problems entering with a valid Tourist Visa are only reported at the Bangkok airports and Poipet/Aranyaprathet - no problem crossing via the bridge from Vientiane.

As to obtaining Tourist Visas from consulates, one can get 2+ years out of each passport, if they are willing to visit different consulates, and visit them in a wise order (more difficult ones first, with a new passport, then the rest).  Once a new passport is obtained (as recommended by consulate-personnel), the cycle can be repeated.

Yes, 3 x TV from Vientiane = 9 months , 3 from Savanakhet = 9 months , 4 land visa exempts = 8 months , one more TV with a red stamp and you will have a full passport and time to get a new one  

2 hours ago, sanemax said:

Yes, 3 x TV from Vientiane = 9 months , 3 from Savanakhet = 9 months , 4 land visa exempts = 8 months , one more TV with a red stamp and you will have a full passport and time to get a new one  

Would you say that '3 tv's from Vientiane' still applies if, prior to those, a fly-in tv from neighboring country as first on passport? Otherwise I'm off to Savanakhet. At Savanakhet, is return flight tix needed (within 59 days ok?)? Statement of income needed, or can one carry big cash instead (How much?)? Turn around time is next day, as with VT?

Edited by ThaiRebound

16 minutes ago, ThaiRebound said:

Would you say that '3 tv's from Vientiane' still applies if, prior to those, a fly-in tv from neighboring country as first on passport? Otherwise I'm off to Savanakhet.

They only count visas issued by them.

16 minutes ago, ThaiRebound said:

At Savanakhet, is return flight tix needed (within 59 days ok?)? Statement of income needed, or can one carry big cash instead (How much?)? Turn around time is next day, as with VT?

Ticket needed within 90 days. The they only accept money in the bank. Cash not accepted. Minimum is 20k baht.

Same as Vientiane. 

4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Ticket needed within 90 days. The they only accept money in the bank. Cash not accepted. Minimum is 20k baht.

Same as Vientiane. 

So, if I show recent bank statement printout, then it will be ok? By "not accepted," do you mean that cash is not an acceptable form of proof of funds? I'm obviously not paying them 20k.

4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:
4 hours ago, ThaiRebound said:

Would you say that '3 tv's from Vientiane' still applies if, prior to those, a fly-in tv from neighboring country as first on passport? Otherwise I'm off to Savanakhet.

That means that you are in agreement that '3 tv's from VT' is generally fine? Thanks

49 minutes ago, ThaiRebound said:

That means that you are in agreement that '3 tv's from VT' is generally fine? Thanks

It is "fine" until they put a "remark stamp" (aka "red stamp") on a visa, which makes it impossible to get further Tourist Visas from them and some other consulates in the region. 

You can still use the Tourist Visa with the "remark stamp" on it, but to continue obtaining Tourist Visas in the region, you need to get a new passport.

Vientiane is known to usually put the "remark stamp" on the 3rd or 4th visa issued by them in a passport. 

Edited by JackThompson