Chonburi dengue cases up 31%, Pattaya 2nd most cases

Rimmer

Chonburi dengue cases up 31%, Pattaya 2nd most cases

image.png

Chonburi: Already declared a red zone for dengue fever, the Pattaya area already has seen 31% more cases reported this year than in all of 2015, the last time the number of cases reached a critical level.

The Banglamung Health Department told an Aug. 4 meeting of the district’s village health volunteers that 46,000 cases have been reported in Chonburi Province this year, compared with 35,000 in all of 2015. More than 50,000 total cases are expected by year-end.

Banglamung and Pattaya have the second-most reported cases, the department noted. First is Koh Sichang while third place is held by Ban Bung.

The health department said it is aggressively working to destroy breeding grounds for the disease-carrying Aedes mosquito and instructed village volunteers to tour their neighbors twice weekly to put abate in water sources.

Raed more: http://www.pattayamail.com/news/chonburi-dengue-cases-31-pattaya-2nd-cases-219297

pattaya_mail_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Pattaya Mail 2018-08-17

23 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

Well , that is a surprise.

Pattaya with all its filth, and food remains that are just thrown into the " sewage " drains, is a breeding ground for every insect that can transmit a diseaese

I think you will find that the dumping of food remains is not limited to Pattaya as it is a problem throughout Thailand wherever there are street vendors. But it is not the scrap food the issue here, its Dengue.

Because Thai Civil engineers don't know how to use one of those leveling scopes, all new road drainage systems have a mosquito breeding ground constructed every ten metres.  When the water reaches a certain level it overflows and fills up the next box.  There is always a foot of stagnant water for mosquitoes to use.

• Like 2

I am surprised there are not more cases of intestinal diseases. All the open sewage, open food stalls, garbage laying around, doesn't take much for flies to go from place to place, upchuck as they do to dissolve food and spread disease.  I read some studies that in ww 2, the germans in north africa had significantly higher incidences of sick soldiers due to the poor latrines they built as compared to the types the British typically used.  This contributed a lot to troop morale and health.

Thais don't know the connection between water and mosquitoes and disease. My brother in law commented that I didn't like mosquitoes while he keeps open containers of water everywhere. Completely ignorant of the health risks. Just because they have been bitten since they were kids they are immune to the bites and think they can't get dengue etc.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

11 minutes ago, Chrisdoc said:

Thais don't know the connection between water and mosquitoes and disease. My brother in law commented that I didn't like mosquitoes while he keeps open containers of water everywhere. Completely ignorant of the health risks. Just because they have been bitten since they were kids they are immune to the bites and think they can't get dengue etc.

Most people don't get it or get a mild case of it. People over 45 or low risk. It is mostly children as i understand it.

23 hours ago, Esso49 said:

I think you will find that the dumping of food remains is not limited to Pattaya as it is a problem throughout Thailand wherever there are street vendors. But it is not the scrap food the issue here, its Dengue.

The waste food Etc clogs the drainage system, and causes " Pools " of stagnant water inside them, where the Mozzys breed.

6 hours ago, Chrisdoc said:

HANDY HINT: Just walk around outside the house early in the morning when they are all sleeping with a can of flyspray and squirt a little into the pot plant saucer and your mossie problem will disappear.

Most people don't get it or get a mild case of it. People over 45 or low risk. It is mostly children as i understand it.
I don't think so unfortunately. Supposedly the first time you get it the symptoms can be mild but if you get a reoccurrence it can become a different kind of fever and is often fatal. From memory there are 4 different types of fever, the haemorrhaging one being mostly fatal. A quite famous Thai actor died a few years ago. I think he was in his 50's