Even at 38 baht to the pound most retirees won’t and cannot leave Thailand

webfact

18 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

You're a braver man than me if you'd let a 26 baht 7/11 sandwich anywhere near your digestive system.

I get the 13 baht wholemeal bread ones mayonnaise & tuna and have lager with it in what I call my pub.

My recent yearly heath check indicates my digestive system is fine. ?

• Replies 791
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, Catkiwi said:

Any way, just spare a thought for us poor old retired New Zealand guys whom cannot draw our New Zealand pension whilst residing overseas. Whatever you Brits are getting it is better than nothing, if you ask me. ?

Wow, I never knew that before. Bastards. So that's why you Kiwis come to work in Oz - it's to get an Australian pension.

59 minutes ago, Lacessit said:
16 hours ago, Catkiwi said:

Any way, just spare a thought for us poor old retired New Zealand guys whom cannot draw our New Zealand pension whilst residing overseas. Whatever you Brits are getting it is better than nothing, if you ask me. ?

Wow, I never knew that before. Bastards. So that's why you Kiwis come to work in Oz - it's to get an Australian pension.

No no and no again.

They're just high tailing it from all the sheep.      

I like links for validation:    unfortunately, I think this throughly sucks.   I'd work to change that through social protest.

https://www.workandincome.govt.nz/pensions/travelling-or-moving/going-overseas-benefit/index.html

50 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

No no and no again.

They're just high tailing it from all the sheep.      

Have you ever handled sheep in Australia? Fleece is full of bindi-eyes and cockleburrs. I'd call that jumping from the frying pan into the fire.

2 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Have you ever handled sheep in Australia? Fleece is full of bindi-eyes and cockleburrs. I'd call that jumping from the frying pan into the fire.

I've only handled or touched  sheep in a petting zoo when with grandchildren.

What does that mean?    555

On 8/17/2018 at 12:20 PM, webfact said:

It was not long ago that Brits enjoyed a healthy 70 baht to the pound if you go back a 8 or 9 years ago, but since then things have gone from bad to worse.

9 years ago the maximum you would have got is 56/57, then it went down.

Here's the 10 year chart.

image.png.1bc33a5fb73766cd41ccec0e7707e3e4.png

You have a to go back a lot further than 8/9 years to the days of the 70+ Baht / pound.

1 hour ago, ukrules said:

9 years ago the maximum you would have got is 56/57, then it went down.

Here's the 10 year chart.

image.png.1bc33a5fb73766cd41ccec0e7707e3e4.png

You have a to go back a lot further than 8/9 years to the days of the 70+ Baht / pound.

design_big.chart?WIDTH=645&HEIGHT=655&TY

3 hours ago, watcharacters said:

I've only handled or touched  sheep in a petting zoo when with grandchildren.

What does that mean?    555

Sheep in a petting zoo have been sanitized. Probably just as well, because when one sees them in the real world, there'd be some traumatic reactions.

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

Sheep in a petting zoo have been sanitized. Probably just as well, because when one sees them in the real world, there'd be some traumatic reactions.

I found a sheep caught in a wire fence back in the UK a while back.

Did my good deed and unwrapped it, was surprised how soft and fluffy it actually was.

Sheep ran off with no apparent injuries.

13 hours ago, Naam said:

design_big.chart?WIDTH=645&HEIGHT=655&TY

I think I was somewhat lucky got all my money from UK over against advice, in September 2005 for buying my truck, house improvements, retire extension etc and Thai saving account.

The only money I left was in a UK Nationwide building society bond a/c tied up for 5 years not much money but at 7% was pulling £100 a month tax free. 

My 2 private pensions took a big hit in 2009 but I could do nothing, they were tied into a age 65 plan to collect with my UK pension, they recovered a bit but not so lucky there.

13 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Depends on whether your a UK sheep farmer,  I would say you can't compare sheep farming in UK to Oz sheep farmers.

A UK friend was a sheep farmer they use to follow him around like pets, he treated them as such too and looked after very well for many reasons.

On 8/18/2018 at 5:16 PM, sanemax said:

Thailand is still cheap for many things : Food, clothes, travel , accommodation .

Still much cheaper here than back in the UK .

Clothes??? Actually I found t shirts, polo shirts cheaper in Kmart in Australia!!

Bought several polo shirts  in kmart in Australia for 120 baht .$8 

some of these markets in Thailand t shirts my size xxl were from 250  baht upwards with most vendors asking for 300 

the 100 baht is now getting close to $5 Australian 

1000 baht  getting close now to $50 Australian 

so you guys who barfine,buy ladydrinks,drinks for yiurself etc could be paying nearly 4 to 5,000 baht around $250,not cheap anymore Dorothy

can go to the markets in Sydney Australia and buy cheaper than the markets in Thailand and the strange part is ,its usually thais or chinese selling at these markets and their selling much cheaper in Sydney than in Thailand, i can pick up xxl t shirts in Sydney for less than 200 baht $10

shoes too cheaper in Australia, vitamin tablets cheaper in Australia, coffee cheaper in Australia, even taxis during the day can be cheaper in Australia ( Uber) than Pattaya taxis.

Fruit bananas $1 a kilo in Sydney , 

i cant see anything cheap about Thailand anymore sorry, 

On 8/31/2018 at 6:41 PM, simoh1490 said:

Those sorts of observations are not meaningful, the Pound is weak and the Baht is strong, why not mention that fifteen years ago that the Pound fetched 90 baht, meaningless and irrelevant.

You make a good point, but in 1985 it was 40 Baht to the £ and Thailand was dirt-cheap in comparison with the UK, it ain't any more.

Thailand's become a much richer country for one thing, prices have risen accordingly.

Clothes??? Actually I found t shirts, polo shirts cheaper in Kmart in Australia!!
Bought several polo shirts  in kmart in Australia for 120 baht .

some of these markets in Thailand t shirts my size xxl were from 200 baht upwards 

1000 baht  getting close now to $50 Australian 

so you guys who barfine,buy ladydrinks,drinks for yiurself etc could be paying nearly 4 to 5,000 baht around $250,not cheap anymore Dorothy

can go to the markets in Sydney Australia and buy cheaper than the markets in Thailand and the strange part is ,its usually thais or chinese selling at these markets and their selling much cheaper in Sydney than in Thailand, i can oick up xxl t shirts in Sydney for less than 200 baht 

shoes too cheaper in Australia, vitamin tablets cheaper in Australia, coffee cheaper in Australia, 

Movies

12 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

Bought several polo shirts  in kmart in Australia for 120 baht .

some of these markets in Thailand t shirts my size xxl were from 200 baht upwards 

can go to the markets in Sydney Australia and buy cheaper than the markets in Thailand and the strange part is ,its usually thais or chinese selling at these markets and their selling much cheaper in Sydney than in Thailand, i can oick up xxl t shirts in Sydney for less than 200 baht 

shoes too cheaper in Australia, vitamin tablets cheaper in Australia, coffee cheaper in Australia, 

You can buy cheap crap anywhere in the world....

Many years back on holiday in Cyprus we drove to a remote village to look at their renowned lace stuff, she wanted to buy something ....?....so me just looking interested, wondering around, glanced in a door opening, loads of boxes with "made in China" in big letters stamped on them...?

You can buy cheap crap anywhere in the world....

Many years back on holiday in Cyprus we drove to a remote village to look at their renowned lace stuff, she wanted to buy something ....[emoji849]....so me just looking interested, wondering around, glanced in a door opening, loads of boxes with "made in China" in big letters stamped on them...[emoji848]

You will be able to get them in Cambodia soon then, because I’ve just been Having a convo with a learned friend who says that the Chinese are now buying huge chunks of Cambodia (was Snookie & now looking at S Reip).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, Lacessit said:

What is the equivalent of a petting zoo for Thai Girls?

And how about the traumatic reactions in the real world?

(Please don't replay because we are shifting off topic.)

Archived