Even at 38 baht to the pound most retirees won’t and cannot leave Thailand

webfact

Compared with the UK Thailand is still cheap,petrol, water,electricity ,council tax, mot,car tax car insurance all far more expensive in UK, the list goes on ,mind you my shorts and t shirts were cheaper in Primark and thank God i no longer barfine,when i first came 25 years ago it was at most 500 baht all night and 200 baht short time ,a friend who comes here on holiday now reckons he pays 2000 baht all night or 3000 for a looker in walking street, and at 44 aht to the pound no wonder his social security dosent go far lol

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Replies 791
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well he is paying 3000 baht for a looker in Walking street all night plus barfines drinks etc ,if he is a Aussie that is nearly $250 -$300 AUD some would say its still cheap I suppose.

I was planning to retire to Thailand in about 10 years,at the current rate i doubt i would be able to afford it, seems to be more  Thais in Australia now than in Thailand anyway.!!!

I thought electricity was expensive in Thailand eg Pattaya ?

Next year I will travel to The Phillipines to see how it is there, is the currency better there?

im hearing a lot of great things about  the Phillipines and retiring there in places such as Cebu etc but i need to check it out first.

3 minutes ago, ivor bigun said:

Compared with the UK Thailand is still cheap,petrol, water,electricity ,council tax, mot,car tax car insurance all far more expensive in UK, the list goes on ,mind you my shorts and t shirts were cheaper in Primark and thank God i no longer barfine,when i first came 25 years ago it was at most 500 baht all night and 200 baht short time ,a friend who comes here on holiday now reckons he pays 2000 baht all night or 3000 for a looker in walking street, and at 44 aht to the pound no wonder his social security dosent go far lol

Perhaps your chum has never heard of......

45 minutes ago, ivor bigun said:

To back up what you say, an old Irish friend says (comparable) clothes are cheaper in Dublin than Bangkok. (The Euro has been worth less than 40 Baht for a long time).

I 've never owned a car in Thailand, so can't compare those prices.

9 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

Electricity is more expensive in Thailand than in in the UK. UK cost 1 Baht per kw/h, Thai cost about 4 Baht per kw/h.  (there's a standing charge in the UK, about £50-£100 per annum).

Your maths is somewhat questionable.

A kw/h in the UK averages 12,4 pence @ 42baht -£1 that's 3.38 baht per kw/h + standing charges.

24 minutes ago, ivor bigun said:

An old friend, a wealthy Aussie, goes out for a big night out once or twice a month on Soi Cowboy.

Costs him about 6,000 Baht all-up (nearly £150), not a cheap night out, even with a leg-over!??

Someone's about to comment about how it's possible to get a woman who looks like Quasi-Modo? for 180 Baht at the bus station!. There are lots of Cheap-Charlies out there who would, something to consider when discussing what's expensive or cheap.

My ex UK house rates is now about 6000bht a month, my similar house in LOS is 0bht..Think some folk here are forgetting about some stuff in the UK..

Oh, costs me nothing to park anywhere where l live in LOS, in the UK you had to pay to park at a hospital or outside your own house...

2 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

An old friend, a wealthy Aussie, goes out for a big night out once or twice a month on Soi Cowboy.

Costs him about 6,000 Baht all-up (nearly £150), not a cheap night out, even with a leg-over!??

Someone's about to comment about how it's possible to get a woman who looks like Quasi-Modo? for 180 Baht at the bus station!. There are lots of Cheap-Charlies out there who would, something to consider when discussing what's expensive or cheap.

Maybe it's because they're 25,30, 40 years younger.

It's the girls that have to sleep with the Quasimodo's ……….. for a price!

24 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

im hearing a lot of great things about  the Philippines and retiring there

Yeah been a few threads on the Philippines in the past, Uk pensioners know they can get annual rises there.

I can't see things getting that bad in Thailand in my time, that would be bad enough for me to leave.

Things haven't changed that much in the 14 years I've lived here, not so much spare dosy because of exchange rate but lucky enough not have it bother me. 

5 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Your maths is somewhat questionable.

A kw/h in the UK averages 12,4 pence @ 42baht -£1 that's 3.38 baht per kw/h + standing charges.

Yes, I quoted incorrectly.

I still think it's not cheap in Thailand (for a "poor" country), especially if you're running the A/C.

18 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

Electricity is more expensive in Thailand than in in the UK. UK cost 1 Baht per kw/h, Thai cost about 4 Baht per kw/h.  (there's a standing charge in the UK, about £50-£100 per annum).

it's more like 3 baht which is cheap compared to other European prices, e.g. Germany (€ 0.28 = 9 Baht).

Both gas and electricity consumption is measured in kWh. The unit rate you pay will vary depending upon the energy price plan you're on, and even the region you live in, but the average cost of electricity per kWh is 14.37p

https://www.ukpower.co.uk/home_energy/tariffs-per-unit-kwh

4 minutes ago, transam said:

My ex UK house rates is now about 6000bht a month, my similar house in LOS is 0bht..Think some folk here are forgetting about some stuff in the UK..

Oh, costs me nothing to park anywhere where l live in LOS, in the UK you had to pay to park at a hospital or outside your own house...

The Thais have long since got into the car parking scam, there are plenty of places in LOS where you have to pay to park your car.

52 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

Well he is paying 3000 baht for a looker in Walking street all night plus barfines drinks etc ,if he is a Aussie that is nearly $250 -$300 AUD some would say its still cheap I suppose.

I was planning to retire to Thailand in about 10 years,at the current rate i doubt i would be able to afford it, seems to be more  Thais in Australia now than in Thailand anyway.!!!

I thought electricity was expensive in Thailand eg Pattaya ?

Next year I will travel to The Phillipines to see how it is there, is the currency better there?

im hearing a lot of great things about  the Phillipines and retiring there in places such as Cebu etc but i need to check it out first.

Local Phillipino food is shit.

Plus it's a lot more dangerous for roberies etc than what thailand is.

Just now, JaiLai said:

Well so they say, but im sure its not like that everywhere in the Phillipines , it is cheaper though i heard but the only way is to check it out myself.

I doubt i could afford to retire to Thailand if things keep going up, so im looking for a Asian alternative .

2 minutes ago, JaiLai said:

That's true. I've never felt unsafe in Thailand.

One thing much better in the P'pines is the level of spoken English language. (I think the P'pines is cheaper also).

I'm not someone who's always knocking Thailand, love the place, but even Cambodia has a better level of spoken English than Thailand. I don't mean graduates either, just ordinary people.

1 minute ago, Andrew65 said:

That's true. I've never felt unsafe in Thailand.

One thing much better in the P'pines is the level of spoken English language. (I think the P'pines is cheaper also).

I'm not someone who's always knocking Thailand, love the place, but even Cambodia has a better level of spoken English than Thailand. I don't mean graduates either, just ordinary people.

Are you sure.....?

Well I suppose folk in Lewisham get by with their Thai lingo....?

2 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Depends on whether your a UK sheep farmer,  I would say you can't compare sheep farming in UK to Oz sheep farmers.

A UK friend was a sheep farmer they use to follow him around like pets, he treated them as such too and looked after very well for many reasons.

A sheep station I used to go to on hunting trips was 45,000 acres, and usually carried 10,000 sheep. A bit difficult to get to know that many personally.

1 minute ago, transam said:

Are you sure.....?

Well I suppose folk in Lewisham get by with their Thai lingo....?

Yes, the level of spoken English in Thailand is very poor, not people that have lived overseas, average Thais.

I'm sure there are exceptions though.

21 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

Well so they say, but im sure its not like that everywhere in the Phillipines , it is cheaper though i heard but the only way is to check it out myself.

I doubt i could afford to retire to Thailand if things keep going up, so im looking for a Asian alternative .

Consider a decent sized city outwith the tourist traps in Thailand, to name a few - Khon Kaen / Nong Khai / Korat / Cha Am / CM / CR / Ubon.

All above are cheaper than BKK / Pattaya / Phuket etc.

Yes, the level of spoken English in Thailand is very poor, not people that have lived overseas, average Thais.

By one count 74 languages are spoken in Thailand, including numerous Thai dialects. Ethnic and regional dialects also are spoken, as are various dialects of Chinese. In the north, each hill tribe has its own language or dialect. The members of these tribes usually speak Thai as well. How many more languages do you think they should learn?

Depends, there is a 25 year old Thai guy at my gym in the sticks, speaks perfect English..

Had a bird at my house that has a Uni degree in English that could not converse, and l used my Queens English faultless lingo..

6 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

I'm not someone who's always knocking Thailand,

Could of fooled me ?

I'm amused by many of the way you see things in comparison to UK I pay less for electric in Thailand per month than I did 14 years ago in England.

18 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

Well so they say, but im sure its not like that everywhere in the Philippines , it is cheaper though i heard but the only way is to check it out myself.

Well your bound to get your Philippines knockers ? like anyway it where your be situated, my Oz friend likes it there but he was with native people he knew.

One of the thing is to consider where your home ends up is the weather. 

1 hour ago, georgegeorgia said:

Clothes??? Actually I found t shirts, polo shirts cheaper in Kmart in Australia!!

Bought several polo shirts  in kmart in Australia for 120 baht .$8 

some of these markets in Thailand t shirts my size xxl were from 250  baht upwards with most vendors asking for 300 

the 100 baht is now getting close to $5 Australian 

1000 baht  getting close now to $50 Australian 

so you guys who barfine,buy ladydrinks,drinks for yiurself etc could be paying nearly 4 to 5,000 baht around $250,not cheap anymore Dorothy

can go to the markets in Sydney Australia and buy cheaper than the markets in Thailand and the strange part is ,its usually thais or chinese selling at these markets and their selling much cheaper in Sydney than in Thailand, i can pick up xxl t shirts in Sydney for less than 200 baht $10

shoes too cheaper in Australia, vitamin tablets cheaper in Australia, coffee cheaper in Australia, even taxis during the day can be cheaper in Australia ( Uber) than Pattaya taxis.

Fruit bananas $1 a kilo in Sydney , 

i cant see anything cheap about Thailand anymore sorry, 

You are selecting the data.

Rent a house in Thailand, $500 a month. In Australia, $500 a week.

Electricity and water here cost me about $30 a month. My son's house, $150 a month. The bastards even charge him for his water supply, in spite of the fact he is on tank water independent of reticulation, which does not exist where he lives.

You can buy a new scooter here for about $2000. The equivalent in Australia will cost you $4000. Registration and insurance much cheaper here.

When I take my son and daughter-in-law out to a basic pub meal in Australia, I won't have any change out of $100. Here, about $40.

Certainly the recent appreciation of the baht against the Australian dollar has affected people living on the edge here. Currencies always fluctuate, and I don't see the sky falling.

Depends, there is a 25 year old Thai guy at my gym in the sticks, speaks perfect English..

Had a bird at my house that has a Uni degree in English that could not converse, and l used my Queens English faultless lingo..

I never heard any of that, when I closed down Nat West Lewisham Common Branch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived