Even at 38 baht to the pound most retirees won’t and cannot leave Thailand

webfact

When I used to eat chips I used to make them my self.

I'm just pointing out that Thailand ain't as cheap as it used to be.

As I've pointed out, I'm sure lots of our European friends have been hurting, since the Euro dropped below 40 a few years ago.

The Thai Gvt manipulates the Baht to keep it strong, as Trump points out. They found out in 1998 what happens when they let their currency float freely.

How does the Thai government manipulate the Baht to keep it strong?

• Replies 791
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

The Thai Gvt manipulates the Baht to keep it strong, as Trump points out. They found out in 1998 what happens when they let their currency float freely.

Yes Andrew, do tell us how this works, we're all keen to know.

3 hours ago, Henryford said:

They don't have to, the Western Governments manipulate their currencies (by borrowing and printing money) to keep them weak.

Every government manipulates their currency. Gold is also manipulated.

There is far more gold on paper in the world than physical gold. If those obligations were called in, just like US debt. the GFC in 2008 would look like a slumber party.

10 hours ago, transam said:

Tesco (Thailand) frozen chips are expensive, 139bht, think that's for a kilo, l hate to mention the cost of HP sauce ....?

Wow , big pack  frozen chips Aldi Australia, from $2, about 50b

As for markets such as Patpong in Bangkok , nothing cheap there ,was qouted 900 baht for a lousy t shirt last week.

I presume that it's going to get worse  for the pound, dollar and the Euro, Thailand has a good industrial base, plenty of tourists and plenty of foreign reserves, the bank of Thailand is considering raising rates. The pound is negatively affected by brexit and when it really happens one day it will be a steep decline, the Euro has its own problems with brexit,Italy,migration and right wing politics, the dollar has Trump and debt to deal with and although all this will affect the Baht to some extent I see it wiggling through all this and when a civilian government is finally elected we will see the Baht jump even higher. Of course nothing lasts forever, the Baht could get too strong for its own good and when Trump loses power things will get better in the West.

1 hour ago, HAKAPALITA said:

The Bhts not very good if you try to cash them for major currencies when you leave here.Why Brits bang on about Brexit n Trump i dont know, Norway isnt much bothered about Trump, nor are we in the EU, yet our exchange rate here is as bad as Inglish money.

The poor Euro exchange rate is directly related to brexit and Trump. A bad brexit is going to have deep ramifications to some industries in Europe, mainly Germany. The Trump tarif threats are affecting the Euro even before they are put in place. Norway is lucky due to its oil industry and will remain unscathed.

I presume that it's going to get worse  for the pound, dollar and the Euro, Thailand has a good industrial base, plenty of tourists and plenty of foreign reserves, the bank of Thailand is considering raising rates. The pound is negatively affected by brexit and when it really happens one day it will be a steep decline, the Euro has its own problems with brexit,Italy,migration and right wing politics, the dollar has Trump and debt to deal with and although all this will affect the Baht to some extent I see it wiggling through all this and when a civilian government is finally elected we will see the Baht jump even higher. Of course nothing lasts forever, the Baht could get too strong for its own good and when Trump loses power things will get better in the West.

I believe the ‘plenty of tourists’ are getting less and less despite the fairy-stories peddled by TOT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Every government manipulates their currency. Gold is also manipulated.

There is far more gold on paper in the world than physical gold. If those obligations were called in, just like US debt. the GFC in 2008 would look like a slumber party.

more paper than physical applies to any commodity that is traded whether pork bellies, crude oil, gold, copper, wheat or soy. there's no such thing like calling in obligations causing a crisis as the actual physical delivery obligations are only a fraction of the trades. all other obligations can be settled in cash.

that situation exists since many years and only the gloom&doom prophets are presenting distorted theories. the latter also since many years.

however, the situation of global financial obligations is a different and quite terrifying animal as we have experienced in 2008.

The poor Euro exchange rate is directly related to brexit and Trump. A bad brexit is going to have deep ramifications to some industries in Europe, mainly Germany. The Trump tarif threats are affecting the Euro even before they are put in place. Norway is lucky due to its oil industry and will remain unscathed.

IMG_1001.JPG

Indeed

On 9/1/2018 at 4:53 PM, Lacessit said:

Wow, I never knew that before. Bastards. So that's why you Kiwis come to work in Oz - it's to get an Australian pension.

Ha ha, no it's ok to be paid in Aus or even some of the pacific islands but that is about it. We couldn't get an Aus pension anyway...

On 9/1/2018 at 5:02 PM, watcharacters said:

No no and no again.

They're just high tailing it from all the sheep.      

I like links for validation:    unfortunately, I think this throughly sucks.   I'd work to change that through social protest.

https://www.workandincome.govt.nz/pensions/travelling-or-moving/going-overseas-benefit/index.html

The sheep have been protesting for years, with no result....??

15 minutes ago, Catkiwi said:

Ha ha, no it's ok to be paid in Aus or even some of the pacific islands but that is about it. We couldn't get an Aus pension anyway...

Why cant you get the pension paid into an Australian account and withdraw it from an ATM in Thailand ?

3 hours ago, sanemax said:

Why cant you get the pension paid into an Australian account and withdraw it from an ATM in Thailand ?

Great idea Sanemax. I'm sure there will be some proof of residency or something required but your scheme is certainly worth a look.

5 hours ago, billd766 said:
8 hours ago, Gandtee said:

Thank you for the link.

It looks a bit fiddly to make and I am not sure if I can get all the bits up here in rural Thailand. At least Makro is still selling HP sauce so it is still available.

"fiddly" Bill? :unsure: anybody who goes through the ordeal described in the link is in my eyes a heroic brave man!

11 minutes ago, Catkiwi said:

I love the table. Did you paint that yourself??

After 10 years outdoors the Thai weather has clearly enhanced the abstract design by the original artist (Not me)

Not destined to become a collectors piece, but the outdoor location and food it holds always provide considerable attraction ?

2 hours ago, Naam said:

"fiddly" Bill? :unsure: anybody who goes through the ordeal described in the link is in my eyes a heroic brave man!

Thank you for the compliment! When I first came here many moons ago I made stuff that wasn't available. Branstone pickle was another one. I'm one of those who likes to try my hand at anything. Brave? Maybe. I haven't really been tested. But again, thanks for the compliment. But I did survive the London blitz. Brave? No. My mother was and many like her. It must have been because of HP sauce and Branstone pickle. I expect that was rationed, that's if they made it.?

40 minutes ago, Gandtee said:

Thank you for the compliment! When I first came here many moons ago I made stuff that wasn't available. Branstone pickle was another one. I'm one of those who likes to try my hand at anything. Brave? Maybe. I haven't really been tested. But again, thanks for the compliment. But I did survive the London blitz. Brave? No. My mother was and many like her. It must have been because of HP sauce and Branstone pickle. I expect that was rationed, that's if they made it.?

may the force be with you! any Klingons in your ancestry?

31 minutes ago, Naam said:

may the force be with you! any Klingons in your ancestry?

Yes. A couple of cling on ladies in my early days. I suppose after thirty years of marriage to my Thai wife I suppose she falls into that category. But maybe me more likely.

21 minutes ago, Gandtee said:

Yes. A couple of cling on ladies in my early days. I suppose after thirty years of marriage to my Thai wife I suppose she falls into that category. But maybe me more likely.

The only one that Klinged on to me was the one I met 25 years ago and married 18 years ago.

She is still Klinging on.

Archived