Even at 38 baht to the pound most retirees won’t and cannot leave Thailand

webfact

2 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Never liked those places, my country pub 14 years ago :violin:was 1.10 for a pint of Tetleys draught,  it's now been turned into a house, sad UK.

Those old Country pubs were great.

In my youth I used to sneak around the back with the g/f and have sex on the fence.

I took the Thai wife there a couple of years ago and repeated my youthful activities.

We were like a pair of rabbits, hopping around.

Times change, after 40 years they'd electrified the fence!

• Replies 791
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

Those old Country pubs were great.

In my youth I used to sneak around the back with the g/f and have sex on the fence.

I took the Thai wife there a couple of years ago and repeated my youthful activities.

We were like a pair of rabbits, hopping around.

Times change, after 40 years they'd electrified the fence!

That was a shocking thing to do and say. I hope that you got a charge out of it.

On 8/28/2018 at 5:19 AM, Kwasaki said:

Sad really, sounds like you never got around much here.

620ml bottle of lager beer 5% at 48 baht ( 110 p ) same as UK now is that because of the exchange rate.

Not really. Depends if we're talking about drinking in bars, or drinking at home, or on a plastic chair outside a shophouse. We need to compare like for like.

i can go down the supermarket & get beer just the same price or cheaper here in the UK. They've been ramping up the tax on this stuff in recent years in Thailand.

I know what you mean by smoking, but I gave up 9 days ago. Also, I'm talking Bangkok, A/C bars where you can smoke are very hard to find where I used to live.

As I said, 40-50 Baht isn't very cheap for beer, but Thailand jut ain't that cheap any more.

1 hour ago, Andrew65 said:

As I said, 40-50 Baht isn't very cheap for beer, but Thailand jut ain't that cheap any more.

Sorry don't sense to me you can compare like for like in say Chiang Mai where's there's Pub like set ups and some beers same price in UK as maybe up North but draught Guinness 1.90 baht ain't bad.

40 - 50 bht for 620 ml lager beer is cheap by today's std in my book. 

On 8/17/2018 at 12:36 PM, ThaiPauly said:

People will just have to suck it up, especially if they have a wife, let alone children.

If they want to go back to their country of origin and take their wife then there are all the visa issues, if they are past retirement age they have to show 62,000 GBP in the bank in the UK for example, they have to show they have somewhere to live in the UK......impossible unless they are going to live with their children.

It just won't work.

So stay they must until things improve and the pound climbs which it won't until Brexit has been finalised one way or the other

I think for the brits here things dont look that bad...at retirement age many might have a property in gb to their name a house a flat anything that can be rented out...so the money available might be double..and if they choose to go back move back to the old house selling out in thailand that might make them a healthy 100000 pound depends their property here..enough to bring their wife...but weather and lifestyle is another issue ..

Varies between £3.30 and £4.40 a pint in the UK.

On a recent visit to the UK, I ordered a small bottle of orange in a public house.
With £2 in hand, I nearly fell of the stool when they said £2.80...……….. what the flook!
I was more than happy to return to Thailand.
Was over in UK not long ago,went out with my brother,went for a sandwich ,,over 4 quid ,nearly fell off my chair ,and it was nothing special.

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

19 hours ago, ivor bigun said:

Was over in UK not long ago,went out with my brother,went for a sandwich ,,over 4 quid ,nearly fell off my chair ,and it was nothing special.

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I was in an expat pub in Bangkok about a year ago, 90 Baht for a can of Coke that's 14 Baht in 7/11.

A latte in a Bangkok Starbucks, about the same as UK prices.

1 minute ago, DILLIGAD said:

Cannot get 40-50b for a big bottle here in ‘deepest darkest Isaan’. More like 60-80b!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

52 baht for a large Chang in Chiang Mai is as low as I've seen.

Just now, Andrew65 said:

Robin Hood Pub, Bangkok,

Ham & Cheese Sandwich 250 Baht (about £6).

It's hardly the fault of Thailand or its people that the Pound has tanked or that Brits like ham and cheese sandwiches, why not has some healthy Pad Thai instead, only 60 baht, about GBP 1.50. :).

Just now, simoh1490 said:

It's hardly the fault of Thailand or its people that the Pound has tanked or that Brits like ham and cheese sandwiches, why not has some healthy Pad Thai instead, only 60 baht, about GBP 1.50. :).

Yes, but I'm replying to a guy who was shocked to have paid £4 in the UK, for something that can cost £6 in Thailand.

Just making my point that Thailand ain't that cheap any more.

I couldn't compare Thai food as I hardly ever ate it, even after nearly 20 years of living in Bangkok.

1 minute ago, Andrew65 said:

Yes, but I'm replying to a guy who was shocked to have paid £4 in the UK, for something that can cost £6 in Thailand.

I couldn't compare Thai food as I hardly ever ate it, even after nearly 20 years of living in Bangkok.

Cow Pad Gai and a fried egg is about 360 baht at my local Thai restaurant in Lancaster yet a ham and cheese sandwich is a measly 120 baht.  Horses for courses

13 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

Yes, but you are using the most expensive place in BKK and therefore it isnt  true comparison.

Cheese is expensive in Thailand and you also get french fries  with your sandwich in the robin hood pub in BKK

38 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Yes, but you are using the most expensive place in BKK and therefore it isnt  true comparison.

Cheese is expensive in Thailand and you also get french fries  with your sandwich in the robin hood pub in BKK

Not at all. the RH charges about the same as any comparable expat pub in Bangkok.

The Royal Oak, just up the road also charges 250 Baht for a sandwich.

Not at all. the RH charges about the same as any comparable expat pub in Bangkok.

The Royal Oak, just up the road also charges 250 Baht for a sandwich.

Yes, but there are cheaper options available .

You have chosen the top price range

3 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Yes, but there are cheaper options available .

You have chosen the top price range

Yes, but the guy who quoted £4 for a sandwich in the UK was probably quoting a pub price. A sandwich can be bought for £2 or less in the supermarket in the UK.

Remember, I was first in Thailand in 1985 when it was ridiculously cheap, in comparison with the UK.

Also, back then it was 40 Baht to the £ and 25 Baht to the US$.

Yes, but the guy who quoted £4 for a sandwich in the UK was probably quoting a pub price. A sandwich can be bought for £2 or less in the supermarket in the UK.

..................and 26 Baht from a 7/11

4 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

You're a braver man than me if you'd let a 26 baht 7/11 sandwich anywhere near your digestive system.

That's when I treat myself , I usually get the 11 Baht un refrigerated ones , no cheese in them though

sandwich at home (toasted German bread, German ham, French cheese, sauce Béarnaise and green salad) free. it's made in our kitchen and usually served in my study. why going to a pub for a sandwich and pay for it? :unsure:

Archived