Even at 38 baht to the pound most retirees won’t and cannot leave Thailand

webfact

• Replies 791
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, JaiLai said:

Is ham free in Germany?

in my case yes. my brother, his two sons and their wives are hunters. i get a supply of wild boar ham, smoked wild duck, venison and smoked sausage (12-15kg a year) free of charge. 

58 minutes ago, JaiLai said:

Was your flight to Germany free?

i flew to Germany to attend some business and used the opportunity to visit the family. but usually most of my supplies are brought by friends who are holidaying in Thailand. this is one of the loads they carry 4-5 times a year. but most of these are bought items.

one down.JPG

23 minutes ago, Naam said:

i flew to Germany to attend some business and used the opportunity to visit the family. but usually most of my supplies are brought by friends who are holidaying in Thailand

Imagine the flatulence. No wonder you need to keep the aircons on all day in 17 rooms. The hidden cost of sausages - a 17k baht per month air-con bill.

So, I guess you're on this thread because of the sterling-baht rate, which as an American must be very important to you; or are you just on your interminable coffee-break?

1 minute ago, My Thai Life said:

Imagine the flatulence. No wonder you need to keep the aircons on all day in 17 rooms. The hidden cost of sausages - a 17k baht per month air-con bill.

So, I guess you're on this thread because of the sterling-baht rate, which as an American must be very importnat to you; or are you just on your interminable coffee-break?

i pity you if smoked sausage and ham causes you to fart. as i have no such problems even though i fart once in a while.

what part of "flying to Germany and visit my family in Germany" makes you think that i'm an American? please take note that Germany is not one of the U.S. states.

my interest in GBP/THB and any other fluctuating currency is based on being a global investor who tries hard making ends meet after paying my electricty bill. 

dog.gif

12 minutes ago, Naam said:

i pity you if smoked sausage and ham causes you to fart. as i have no such problems even though i fart once in a while.

what part of "flying to Germany and visit my family in Germany" makes you think that i'm an American? please take note that Germany is not one of the U.S. states.

my interest in GBP/THB and any other fluctuating currency is based on being a global investor who tries hard making ends meet after paying my electricty bill. 

dog.gif

Once in America checking it at hotel, the receptionist asked where i was from, i told him Scotland, he then proceeded to ask me if that was in London.......

Gotta feel sorry for those americans.......shame!

Thanks f

7 minutes ago, Naam said:

Thanks for the pity, but it's misplaced as I don't eat that kind of food.

Well, most white Americans do come from Europe, so I don't see any reason to assume that having a German family should preclude you from being a US citizen. Somehow your style has always seemed American, but if German you are, so be it, now I understand the wurst.

Ah yes, you're a global investor. Great ? good luck

4 minutes ago, 473geo said:

Today in UK supermarket I noticed 24 pack standard budweiser bottles GBP 15.00 that makes it 25 baht a bottle

Those sorts of observations are not meaningful, the Pound is weak and the Baht is strong, why not mention that fifteen years ago that the Pound fetched 90 baht, meaningless and irrelevant.

14 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

Those sorts of observations are not meaningful, the Pound is weak and the Baht is strong, why not mention that fifteen years ago that the Pound fetched 90 baht, meaningless and irrelevant.

"Even at 38 baht to the pound most retirees won’t and cannot leave Thailand"

Just supplying evidence that actually maybe they can ?

On 8/17/2018 at 2:27 PM, Henryford said:

Once we are free of the shackles of the Evil Empire Britain and the Pound will flourish.

You should have had a , in between Empire & Britain there Henry...?

Any way, just spare a thought for us poor old retired New Zealand guys whom cannot draw our New Zealand pension whilst residing overseas. Whatever you Brits are getting it is better than nothing, if you ask me. ?

8 hours ago, My Thai Life said:

Somehow your style has always seemed American, but if German you are, so be it, now I understand the wurst.

i wonder whether this is a compliment or an insult :laugh: but there is indeed an American connection. before Thailand we spent the first 15 years of our retirement in the Greatest Nation on Earth™ that made us temporarily "U.S. Persons" for tax purposes but life there was extremely good. my wife is still craving for the U.S. of A even though it would mean to pay an arm and a leg in taxes when compared with Thailand.

6 hours ago, Catkiwi said:

Any way, just spare a thought for us poor old retired New Zealand guys whom cannot draw our New Zealand pension whilst residing overseas. Whatever you Brits are getting it is better than nothing, if you ask me. ?

you are not getting any pension??? :ohmy:

8 hours ago, JaiLai said:

Once in America checking it at hotel, the receptionist asked where i was from, i told him Scotland, he then proceeded to ask me if that was in London.......

Gotta feel sorry for those americans.......shame!

Americans compensate their lack of geography by being the second most friendly and helpful people we have experienced having lived in half a dozen countries. we got used fast to that little flaw and even had a good laugh once in a while. in 1996 a Singaporean lady who studied with my wife visited us in Florida. we had the neighbours over and one of them asked her "how do you feel that the Chinese communists will take over your country next year?" my wife immediately defused the situation by pointing to our backyard and shouting "look at that big alligator! must be at least 3 meters in length." :smile:

10 hours ago, Naam said:

in my case yes. my brother, his two sons and their wives are hunters. i get a supply of wild boar ham, smoked wild duck, venison and smoked sausage (12-15kg a year) free of charge. 

i forgot to mention canned liver paté with green pepper and variety of other spices. beats French pâté de foie gras "hands tied to the back":licklips:

56 minutes ago, Naam said:

i wonder whether this is a compliment or an insult :laugh: but there is indeed an American connection.

No insult intended, I've spent about 4 years on and off in the US and Germany. Enjoyed them both. And I'm not averse to wurst and Weissbier either. Have a good day.

sandwich at home (toasted German bread, German ham, French cheese, sauce Béarnaise and green salad) free. it's made in our kitchen and usually served in my study. why going to a pub for a sandwich and pay for it? :unsure:

We’re on our way there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived