Can you work if married to a Thai?

I was not sure where to search for the answer to this so I'm posting a new thread.

So my question is, if you are staying in Thailand on a visa for extension of stay based on marriage(which is what I will be getting soon as I'm married to a Thai) do you automatically get permission to work or do you still apply for the work permit separately?

I have funds I just liked the idea of teaching English on the side

2 minutes ago, richiejom said:

what if you wanted to Teach English freelance, Ive heard of some people doing this..how do you get a permit for that?

To be legal. That would involve setting up a company etc, capital, 3 Thai employees etc, then the company employs you. Someone has to employ you, either your own company or another.

• Like 1

On 8/18/2018 at 10:22 AM, richiejom said:

Perhaps I'm getting ahead of myself to fast, it just sounded like a fun idea as I like teaching and better than bumming around all the time...I'm not desperate anyway, it was just something I was considering but I would want everything legal for peace of mind. I just read on a few sites that people do it under the radar, thats not something I would want to do. Think I'll look into other hobbies

You may be able to do voluntary work, without a WP now.

You really need to check with the Labour office what activities may now be possible without a WP.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, richiejom said:

what if you wanted to Teach English freelance, Ive heard of some people doing this..how do you get a permit for that?

There is no practical way of doing this legally without working for a company. Perhaps, a language school might agree to have you on their books in return for a percentage of your earnings.

• Like 1

Being the only farang in this northern Thai village I am often asked to teach English to local kids for a few bob a time. Sounds like this is technically illegal??? Is it dangerous in terms of getting into trouble????

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Just now, cms22 said:

Being the only farang in this northern Thai village I am often asked to teach English to local kids for a few bob a time. Sounds like this is technically illegal??? Is it dangerous in terms of getting into trouble????

Prison sentences have now been revoked, but you still face the possibility of a fine between 5,000 - 50,000 baht.

• Sad 1

23 hours ago, Scottjouro said:

Why would teaching English be considered beneficial to the country when English is not even an official languge in Thailand,

if you say trade benefits then Chinese would certainly be benefical  as a language as that is the future

One very good reason, apart from trade and other obvious ones - English is the official language of ASEAN!

• Like 2

On 8/18/2018 at 10:28 AM, Tanoshi said:

who has knowledge, ability, or skills that are considered beneficial to the development of the country; 

:cheesy: I think every foreigner in this country then falls under above exemption

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Cheops said:

:cheesy: I think every foreigner in this country then falls under above exemption

I think  just every foreigner in this country believes they are special and demand to treated differently because they have a white skin...

• Thanks 1

On 8/18/2018 at 1:56 PM, Scottjouro said:

Why would teaching English be considered beneficial to the country when English is not even an official languge in Thailand,

if you say trade benefits then Chinese would certainly be benefical  as a language as that is the future

The Chinese tourists coming to Thailand communicate with English. It's the language of travel.

Absolutely a benefit for the country.

• Like 2

On 8/18/2018 at 1:56 PM, Scottjouro said:

My understanding is that's it's a regulation of the bank of Thailand that all banks must provide services in Thai, English, and Chinese.

Further, there are official translations to English of all / most Thai laws.

However, does all of the above mean specifically that English is officially a second language in Thailand?

39 minutes ago, scorecard said:

My understanding is that's it's a regulation of the bank of Thailand that all banks must provide services in Thai, English, and Chinese.

Further, there are official translations to English of all / most Thai laws.

However, does all of the above mean specifically that English is officially a second language in Thailand?

If there is an english translation of an official Thai document then somewhere there will be statement on the lines of 'in case of dispute then the meaning of the original statement in Thai will be considered as first meaning.'

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, overherebc said:

If there is an english translation of an official Thai document then somewhere there will be statement on the lines of 'in case of dispute then the meaning of the original statement in Thai will be considered as first meaning.'

The local official language version of any translated document is usually the version considered to be legal and correct. Is it not?

• Like 1

On 8/18/2018 at 10:40 AM, cms22 said:

It's not dangerous at all.

On 8/18/2018 at 7:56 AM, Scottjouro said:

English is the international business language. I work for a German company with interests in over 100 countries, including Thailand, and all intercountry meetings and business is carried out in English.

• Like 2

On 8/18/2018 at 2:09 PM, lust said:

So why are so many Chinese learning English?

Opens opportunities. Did you know all airline pilots speak English?

To understand pilot speak, you must first learn the international phonetic alphabet.

Then comes a list of words you may have heard on flights such as “roger”, which means “understood”; “affirm”, which means “yes”; and “approach”, which means “coming in to land”.

While the language of aviation is continually changing, pilots are required to pass strict language tests in order to fly planes safely.