Mexico navy says finds 50 tons of meth in mountain lab

rooster59

6 hours ago, faraday said:

Alternative prescribing is available free in the UK, but very hard to access, & funding has been cut by £105 million, by the Government.

Spice is legal, & huge numbers of young people are messing themselves up on it. 

Same as alcohol.

Why do they do it? There are multiple social & psychological reasons, & illegality is not the issue. People like to take drugs (Inc alcohol) & too many people have addictions with them.

Clearly, the legal aspect isn't the stumbling block.

As for letting the Pharmaceutical companies produce it....

They would then be no different from, for example, the Sinaloa cartel, surely? And Pharma are already very rich.

Would all currently illegal 'recreational drugs' be legalised?

Does that include Cocaine & Heroin?

Yes, I know I'm not really providing any solutions; it's an awful problem, which makes millions of people die.

Your nick suggests you are from Brizzul :laugh: & you must have seen how those kind hearted Yardies devastate lives.

Lastly, I just do not think that the Cartels would let go of their massive business.

I wish there was a clearer path, to solve Drug addiction, but don't believe legislation is the answer.

:smile:

Some of your replies, for instance about Spice, are just irrelevant. But you don't seem to have a grasp of the basic economics. Most of these substances are not covered by patents. So how would big Pharma, whose business model depends on patents, grow significantly richer from manufacturing these products. In fact, why would they want to manufacture them at all?  And why would the cartels want to hold on to a business where there would be very little profit to be made?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bristolboy said:

Some of your replies, for instance about Spice, are just irrelevant. But you don't seem to have a grasp of the basic economics. Most of these substances are not covered by patents. So how would big Pharma, whose business model depends on patents, grow significantly richer from manufacturing these products. In fact, why would they want to manufacture them at all?  And why would the cartels want to hold on to a business where there would be very little profit to be made?

I used Spice to show that the legality is irrelevant.

Which it is.

And who would produce the drugs?

People aren't going to suddenly stop using whatever, are they?

I gave the example of the millions of people who mess themselves up with all the legal & non illegal drugs.

Changing the law will not prevent that.

There was once Prohibition. Did changing the law prevent alcohol abuse & addiction? The bootleggers lost their hold on the market, & now we have the huge drinks industry. 

So in this respect, your grasp of the social problems, are irrelevant.

The Cartels would find a way to continue their vast & profitable 'empire', of that, I'm sure.

You didn't address my question about Heroin & Cocaine, which are violently addictive, and you imply that a change of legislation, would somehow make things better.

The answer is Soma.....
:laugh:

5 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

Legalization of marijuana is not going to cause people to go to 'something harder'. If people are inclined to use more dangerous substances they will, regardless of what the penalties are for marijuana. When the prohibition  against alcohol was repealed, people didn't go rush out and become heroin addicts. What legalization will do is remove billions of dollars from the pockets of organized crime, allow law enforcement to concentrate on more serious crime, free up badly needed space in the judicial system and stop turning ordinary folks into criminals.

Actually it would have the opposite effect. Legalising marijuana will remove the need to associate with criminals to get it. Those "criminals" who sell marijuana often also deal in other illegal drugs .

I remember when I was a kid and we would go buy a dime bag of weed (I am dating myself LOL) and the dealer would  ask as if we also wanted some mesk, black beauties,  ets. Most of as were smart enough to say no, but not all. 

• Thanks 1

I don't believe legislation of Marijuana will necessarily lead to other drugs; many people - from what I understand, are responsible, & can say no to another drug being offered.

However, too many people are not, & this is what concerns me.

Of course in the places where it has been legalised, & alot of tax is being generated, the statistics are all in favour. But then they would be, wouldn't they?

The underlying cause as to why people allow themselves, or progress from a drug - including alcohol, just does not seem to be taken into consideration.

10 hours ago, pegman said:
21 hours ago, bendejo said:

In the state of Oregon (US) weed is now legal, and the laws are comparably liberal (e.g., you can have a 4 ounce (over 100 grams) stash) even though there is no legal way to smoke/vape in public.  No shortage of shops in the Portland area, just look for the sign with the green cross.

But I'm getting the impression that with the 'outlaw' aspect taken away from weed the young and rebellious are going for something harder.  And I'm not referring to the craft beer craze.

So by your logic if all drugs were legal the young and rebellious would have to move on to something still illegal like jay-walking?

It was just an observation, nothing more.

But now that you put it that way, it might be a bad idea to make snorting detergent pods illegal.  :w00t: