Immigration Line Sitter

Wandr

52 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

Just to stay off topic and annoy "the troll", you may notice I have already made a few contributions to that "wacky Races" thread and having some good fun there too.?️

I noticed; you can be pretty pithy you want to LOL.  I have to say your comment, "Does your "Titanium" membership reflect the density of your "brain?" brought a smile to my face.  As ridiculous as that thread is, it really brought out some amusing comments from a lot of people! 

I'm sure the poster regrets posting in the first place, but (I think you said) some people start digging a hole and don't know how to get out if it which just makes it all the more amusing. ?

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Thanks 1

Just to update...I’m at Promenada now.  Just got my queue number #32.  Not sure what time my line sitter showed up.  Was hoping to get a lower queue number but I’m not complaining.  I should be out of here before lunchtime.  

I was here at 7am and I’m estimating there were close to 100 people in the line, so unless you use a line sitter, I’m guessing that showing up before sunrise is a necessity, not a myth.

On 8/26/2018 at 6:09 PM, WaveHunter said:

the people in charge at Chiang Mai Immigration are to blame since this problem doesn’t seem to exist at other province’s immigration offices, anywhere close to the degree it does in Chiang Mai.

+1

Some totally way off topic posts have been removed!

It seems that with around 100 people in the queue before opening time, things haven't  improved. I think it is also pretty established , that it is only here in Chiang Mai where the problem exists.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, cmsally said:

Some totally way off topic posts have been removed!

It seems that with around 100 people in the queue before opening time, things haven't  improved. I think it is also pretty established , that it is only here in Chiang Mai where the problem exists.

well i'm certainly happy that you did not remove the informative photo above.   Seeing the sign in the background I wonder if anyone can tell me more about the "one stop service" that these ladies provide.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, WaveHunter said:

Just to update...I’m at Promenada now.  Just got my queue number #32.  Not sure what time my line sitter showed up.  Was hoping to get a lower queue number but I’m not complaining.  I should be out of here before lunchtime.  

I was here at 7am and I’m estimating there were close to 100 people in the line, so unless you use a line sitter, I’m guessing that showing up before sunrise is a necessity, not a myth.

If anybody’s curious, I got my passport back 5 minutes before lunchtime, but stayed to come back after lunch to get a TM-8 Re-entry permit.  

If if anybody can tell me, what are you supposed to do when you re-enter Thailand?  The officer explained in Thia/English so I don’t have a clue really.  I’ll figure it out but if anybody can tell me quick & easy, that would be great!

7 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

If anybody’s curious, I got my passport back 5 minutes before lunchtime, but stayed to come back after lunch to get a TM-8 Re-entry permit.  

If if anybody can tell me, what are you supposed to do when you re-enter Thailand?  The officer explained in Thia/English so I don’t have a clue really.  I’ll figure it out but if anybody can tell me quick & easy, that would be great!

Inform the IO you have reentry permit. Look at what he or she stamps after. 

7 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

The re entry permit is simply that.

When you return you will need to present your TM30 usually within 24 hours of return at either 2nd floor Promeneda or Building 3 at the old airport. immigration (Recommended, very quick)

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Thailand said:

The re entry permit is simply that.

When you return you will need to present your TM30 usually within 24 hours of return at either 2nd floor Promeneda or Building 3 at the old airport. immigration (Recommended, very quick)

Thanks, I might add, another immigration officer I ran into later, that spoke English more fluently, also said I should bring a copy of my lease agreement.  

Also, I have to say that I found the whole process today pretty easy to deal with.  To me it seems that the downstairs office is quite better at making things run smoothly and efficiently than the smaller upstairs office at Promenada.  I really like the fact that you could sit outside waiting for your number to be called due to the loud-speaker announcements of upcoming queue numbers. 

All in all, I was fairly impressed.  So, the only real complaint I have about the operation at Promenada is the damn queue to get a ticket.  There must have been close to 100 people in line when I arrived at 7am! 

Edited by WaveHunter

29 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

Thanks, I might add, another immigration officer I ran into later, that spoke English more fluently, also said I should bring a copy of my lease agreement.  

Also, I have to say that I found the whole process today pretty easy to deal with.  To me it seems that the downstairs office is quite better at making things run smoothly and efficiently than the smaller upstairs office at Promenada.  I really like the fact that you could sit outside waiting for your number to be called due to the loud-speaker announcements of upcoming queue numbers. 

All in all, I was fairly impressed.  So, the only real complaint I have about the operation at Promenada is the damn queue to get a ticket.  There must have been close to 100 people in line when I arrived at 7am! 

As you already have your TM30 you do not need to take a copy of your lease agreement,only required on initial application.

They will simply endorse your copy of the TM30 at immigration Prom or Building 3.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Thailand said:

As you already have your TM30 you do not need to take a copy of your lease agreement,only required on initial application.

They will simply endorse your copy of the TM30 at immigration Prom or Building 3.

Assuming of course you are returning to the same address as recorded on the present TM30!

Off topic observation here but as I sat there watching the officer process all those sheets of paper from my single application, and saw the HUGE stacks of completed applications towering above his head on the cabinet behind him (high enough to injure him if they fell over), it made me wonder WHY all the damn paper?  

I mean what becomes of all that paper.  I saw the “important” information on my forms get inputted into their computer by an assistant in a few minutes so what purpose does saving all the other stuff serve? 

Those stacks and stacks of completed applications look like they’d be impossible to search through.  I saw the same thing in the upstairs office too.  This IS the digital age after all, even here in Thailand, so why all the paper?

and no, I’m not a tree-hugger. ?

Edited by WaveHunter

11 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

Off topic observation here but as I sat there watching the officer process all those sheets of paper from my single application, and saw the HUGE stacks of completed applications towering above his head on the cabinet behind him (high enough to injure him if they fell over), it made me wonder WHY all the damn paper?  

I mean what becomes of all that paper.  I saw the “important” information on my forms get inputted into their computer by an assistant in a few minutes so what purpose does saving all the other stuff serve? 

Those stacks and stacks of completed applications look like they’d be impossible to search through.  I saw the same thing in the upstairs office too.  This IS the digital age after all, even here in Thailand, so why all the paper?

All the paper is transferred to an undisclosed central location where it is turned in to papier mache and then in to tanks,submarines and other military hardware to look like the billions of baht have been wisely spent, the whereabouts of the billions of baht is open to speculation.

14 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

For a very short period a few years back we had a bar code in our passports which meant when doing 90 day reports in person or extensions it was not required to provide  copies of the  pages in our passport.That of course made sense but was abandoned without comment.

I've always done 90 day by mail and quite often my receipt was the back of someones passport details inc once the face page of a French citizen.

My work permit in Bangkok for quite a few years totalled 27 pages.

In this day and age totally stupid,dont expect change anytime soon 

24 minutes ago, Thailand said:

All the paper is transferred to an undisclosed central location where it is turned in to papier mache and then in to tanks,submarines and other military hardware to look like the billions of baht have been wisely spent, the whereabouts of the billions of baht is open to speculation.

But wouldn't a "papier mache" submarine sink?

Oops1; I forgot they are meant to sink;

Oops2;  I forgot (again) that they are supposed to come back up again and re-float - unlike many economies!

17 hours ago, WaveHunter said:

I didn't see any mention of this but may have missed it. When you return then you enter your re-entry permit number where it asks for your visa on the TM6 entry card.

Yes, its important to input your RE-ENTRY visa number on the TM 6 card were it asks for visa number

Then on arrival in Thailand go to Immigration to update your TM30 ,

If you have already completed and registered your TM30 all you need is your passport with TM30 receipt, Immigration will re-sign/stamp

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...