What are your favourite radio programmes ?

strikingsunset

I love listening to the radio and despite all the other competing media, radio listening in the UK, (which is pretty obviously my home country) reaches over 98

per cent of the population on a weekly basis.

I am always looking for something interesting to   listen to and would appreciate your recommendations....

Here are my current favourites,, very MOR ;

Wake   Up To Money              BBC      Radio   5 live

The Today Programme         BBC       Radio 4

Radcliffe & Maconie             BBC       Radio 6

Jeremy Vine Show                BBC      Radio  2

Saturday Live                        BBC      Radio   4

Additionally I enjoy BBC Radio 5 live extra for major events such as Wimbledon, Ryder Cup ,UK Golf Open, Test Matches......

Brain of Britain. Round Britain Quiz. Counterpoint. Henry Ayrton's Jukebox. Hancock's Half Hour (and many other comedy reruns from the 50s 60s and 70s). Sounds of 60s (was much better with Brian Matthews). Sounds of the 70s. Various old music documentaries on R6. Various other R2 and R3 music programmes. Moneybox.

Never sport, and rarely current affairs. Basically nothing from this century.

I listen to Radio 5 Live every morning from 07.00 Thai time. The program  is named Up all Night .2 main presenters, Mon-Thurs Rhod Sharp and Fridays and W/E Dotun Odebayo. Great presenters, wide range of topical subjects and interesting interviews. On my day off I will then switch to Radio 4 for the Shipping Forecast and on to Today.

On my BBC iPlayer list is:

Phil Taggart's Sunday Night Support Club on Radio 1.

Alex Lester Mon-Fri breakfast on WM 95.6. Used to listen to him and Janice Long in the early hours on Radio 2 before they got axed in lieu of pre-recorded crap that's subsequently been replaced with the abysmal OJ Borg.

Radio 5 Up All Night with Rhod Sharp or Dotun Adebayo most weekdays.

Radio Scotland when they get their few minutes allocation of actual Scottish news and comment.

When I could get BBC podcasts while working offshore, some of the BBC comedy shows were a tonic.

On my Tune In app:

Sam FM Thames Valley which is a shadow of the excellent Jack FM Reading that it replaced.

Bailrigg FM from Lancaster Uni.

Waves FM Peterhead.

Original 106 Aberdeen.

KFPT Pacifica

KTRH NewsRadio 740, Houston.

Pattaya FM103.

Streaming on internet:

Arrow Classic Rock - De muziek van je leven - Netherlands.

Radio Northsea International

KKBQ-FM – The New 93 Q – Houston, TX

22 hours ago, strikingsunset said:

radio listening in the UK, (which is pretty obviously my home country) reaches over 98

per cent of the population on a weekly basis.

You honestly believe that 98% of the UK population listens to the radio? :cheesy:

I think you meant to write that 98% doesn't listen to radio anymore. My kids don't even know what radio is!

That said, I listen Defected in the House radio shows on SoundCloud (mostly streaming from internet from my phone to the car audio by Bluetooth), but not live.

Edited for spelling

Edited by Cheops

BBC radio is unsurpassable for choice and excellence.
Just A Minute
Hancock’s Half Hour
The Goon Show
The News Quiz
The Secret World
Count Arthur Strong’s Radio Show
Round The Horn.... not to mention the thousands of radio dramas, history, science, natural science, philosophy, documentaries.... and so much more. Any expats out there, British or not, I cannot recommend enough downloading the BBC Player app..... there’s a nice supply of brain food available in the current shortage this country is experiencing

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 1

I can't believe that no one has mentioned The Archers Omnibus or Friday night Comedy both on Radio 4.The best way to listen to BBC radio is to use the BBC iPlayer Radio It has all radio programmes going back several weeks.

It is currently being re-developed and is said to be the only app you will need for listening. It will allow listeners to explore a huge library of millions of recordings -- let's see.

Its the OP here,thanks for your comments, I love listening to the radio, I cant imagine life without it.

I have recently dipped into The Archers omnibus, will try and stick with it and a lot of other programmes recommended I know are on Radio 4 extra which I will explore.

I do often listen to parts of ...Up all Night....it has some gripping stories, I also like the Phil Williams show on 5 live.

A recent launch on radio 2 is the Monday night rock show ( johnie walker) which is essential listening already.

I have also dipped into the Desert Island Discs archive that has been a joy.

I do use the BBC Radio iplayer app for all my listeni.ng

Thanks

• Like 1

I'll sort of mindlessly tune in BBC radio 3 and listen to whatever they got goin' or KCRW  in Santa Monica, NPR affiliate...Pacifica stations KPFA and KPFK (Berkeley and LA) if what they got ain't too insufferably PC...

lotsa stuff out there, radio is a great resource on the internet...no reason to ever be alone...the stations all got websites and no special arrangement is necessary to connect...I'd be a subscriber but then they'd probably never send me my logo'd sweatshirt or ball cap...

On 8/23/2018 at 1:48 PM, lemonjelly said:

BBC radio is unsurpassable for choice and excellence.
Just A Minute
Hancock’s Half Hour
The Goon Show
The News Quiz
The Secret World
Count Arthur Strong’s Radio Show
Round The Horn.... not to mention the thousands of radio dramas, history, science, natural science, philosophy, documentaries.... and so much more. Any expats out there, British or not, I cannot recommend enough downloading the BBC Player app..... there’s a nice supply of brain food available in the current shortage this country is experiencing

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

BBC Radio - In Our Time, Radio Dramas - try these "Welcome to our village" and "Toad of Toad Hall" and as you so rightly list "Hancock".

There are a few websites that have full series downloads of UK radio comedy etc. for free.

There is of course youtube.

If you are still a UK library card holder then it is possible to login to your 'local branch' to download various books that have been adapted for listening to.

For those of us oldies who grew up on the radio it is a great freedom compared to television that anchors you to a chair. I like Desert Island Discs. They have a good archive from the early years to the present people. Also listen to London Heart for contemporary music. In the morning here it is the middle of the night there. Also amusing to hear the traffic and Tube reports as the morning gets going there.

I certainly don't miss the traffic in London in the morning, and this was in the early 70s. I lived in Cheltenham, and the first time I drove into London to pick up my boss I totally miscalculated the traffic and arrived at his hotel 1 1/2 hours late.....he was not happy. Then to make matters worse when I jumped out of the car the doors all locked with the key inside. I asked the doorman for a hammer and smashed the quarter light window to unlock the car. It wasn't my best day, but I laugh now.

No one listens to World service, Business matters, well worth listing to, plus lots of other programs.

The afternoon plays on Radio 4 often good.

Arrow classic  rock 

Today Radio 4 

The Archers.always seem to be a week behind.

Count Arthur Strong, not for me 

Hancock's Half Hour.  

The Now Show, Raido4

I left UK in 2006, I drove for a living and would have gone mad without the BBC.    I am now officially one of Sir Tel's coffin dodgers, a resident in God's waiting room.  Even his traffic reports were hilarious from Bob Upandown and Les B. Avingyou.  Jeremy Vine at 12.   Radio 4,  Friday Night is Music Night, then the Now Show, then Any Questions.  Saturday morning, Any Answers.   Humphreys and Paxton,  tigers.

Historically, Kenneth Horne was a Sunday afternoon must.  I was much too young to understand Julian and Sandy, their Polari (bona palone?) and innuendos, only their catchphrase.  But now, as I try to grow veg on this Isaan clay I know that "the answer lies in the soil".

Rush, Hannity, and anything on Fox news Radio.  I use the free simple radio app on my smart phone, send it through the home theater i can listen anywhere in the house. 
Hannity followed by Mark Levin is a fascinating listen. Apparently their views are taken seriously by a small minority in the US.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app