It's Highway Robbery! Thais scream in protest at new fines calling them an excuse for more police corruption

webfact

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

Pity they don't put as much energy and enthusiastic gusto into learning to drive properly, getting a valid driving licence and obeying the law !

That's all very well but your missing the point that it takes effort and a sense of responsibility.

You can't have that now, can you.

10,000B fine if I pop to the shops on the scooter with the wife's purse, forgetting my licence? How is that going to prevent accidents? I have a licence, I am licenced to drive. Not carrying your licence isn't an offence in many countries where roads are far safer. The idea of an idiot.

My wife has a licence to drive a car. Makes a mockery of it all. She can't drive, passed by retaking bits over a series of days. She shouldn't have a licence, but does. What is the point of a Thai driving licence if having one means only you passed some idiot's idea of a test. <deleted>, tackle the cause of the problem. Fact is, possession of a Thai licence doesn't make you a safe driver.

Step 1 before anything else has got to be - test people's ability to drive on the roads. Video each test for "moderation" of assessment to ensure no funny business. Once you have a reliable testing system, then start to worry about whether people have a driving licence.

If ever section 44 should be used, it is to revoke the driving licences of all citizens upon expiry and put in a valid testing system.

only drop kicks would see big fines for breaking the law as being corrupt , the solution is simple, get a licence, carry it with you or stay off the roads. The ones bitching are the ones breaking the law, thais seem to think its unfair to make them obey the laws or be fined/jailed, I hope if they actually do it we may see less idiots on the road but I seriously doubt they will enforce it, the police will refuse to leave the air conditioned offices for a start and its too much like work

If higher fines help to improve driving standards, reduce the number of idiots on the roads and lead to a drop in the shockingly high road accidents reported every year, then I'm all in favor of it! 

having a plastic  card which says u can drive is all it is, it doesnt mean you can drive well in any way.

I came from BKK to Hua  Hin yesterday, the  level of driving was disgusting, heavy rain visibility maybe 10 metres, +10-12cm standng water, my speed about 30kmh  had  lorry about 1  metre behind trying to push me out the way. Lights needed to be on it was that bad, many had none on.

Then there was the ever present lane  weavers at high speed, the high amount of  non signallers,  followed by the  "oops  I didnt see u till the last second and swerve back in to miss you " semi lane changers, the  lorries drifting into another  lane, the "who can do the slowest U turn" drivers, the " Im staying in the outside lane even though all the other lanes are clear" drivers which no amount of light  flashing will make them move over, the "ive got so  much fruit ( insert any goods) balanced on this thing pick up I simply darent change lanes as it  will tip over so will sit in the outside lane" drivers......and an endless list of basically  selfish stupid lazy gits.....................oh and the  "dont you tell me Im like this or  Ill machete you to death " drivers.

Drunks are actually far far safer than the sober brigade.

15 hours ago, webfact said:

Will it work in reducing road accidents?

Irrelevant.  License fees, properly collected should be used for proper country treasury uses, roads, bridges, whatever.  Doubtful that any proper accounting is done.  But worrying about extortion and bribes is irrelevant since the law required licenses.

Some 'Holier Than Thou' comments on here.

A 50k fine is disproportionate & grossly excessive.

What is Somchai gonna do, who collects trash, & lives from day to day?

Why not send all offenders to Devils Island?

6 minutes ago, faraday said:

Some 'Holier Than Thou' comments on here.

A 50k fine is disproportionate & grossly excessive.

What is Somchai gonna do, who collects trash, & lives from day to day?

Why not send all offenders to Devils Island?

Is Devils Island large enough to handle all the expected violators?

"Online lawyer Ratchaphon - who runs the Sai Trong Kotmai page - said that the new laws were an attempt to scare the public into obeying the law."

Maybe I'm nieve but isen't that the reason why we have laws in the first place.....laws like the death penelty are a good example ...and all other laws ...to deter people from running wild and unleashed and doing as they please.

PS....if a foreigner can manage to get a driving licence I don't see why a Thai can't.

Regarding expenses ...a motorbike helmet and a bulb can be bought for less than a hundred Baht.

A sum which appears to be of no consequence to many Thai's as driving without either  doesn't deter them from risking getting a fine.

Thailand is a developing country, and many of her guests tend to forget this, she is 30-50 years behind the UK, for example.

One day Thailand will catch up with the seriousness of drunken driving, jail terms driving with no license etc.

Do you really want the laws here to become like Scotland, where you can be fined 10,000 baht for drinking a bottle of water while driving?

Do you really want to go to jail when your girlfriend gives you a ride without you wearing a helmet?

You can't burn your cake and eat it at both ends!

why yup, if they have or get a drivers license that automatically qualifies the person as, well, qualified to operate a vehicle safely....

anyone who comes even near believing that statement is a f'n lockstep idiot.

anyone who thinks/believes that high fines are the answer to achieving road safety is a goose-stepping state-est (chk spelling) moron.

1 minute ago, dinsdale said:

You all seem to be missing the main point. It will be an increase in tea money. Lao Kao will be replaced with Black Label.?

Or hopefully be replaced by Lao Kao and cold tea mixed, poured into a Black Label bottle, just to get back at them!

The general response from the Thai public to the article is clear...they do not want or wish to be a 1st world nation. From what I have seen in over a decade is they couldn’t even if they wanted to for the vast majority. If they were able to, then surely the industrial revolution would have started it here...it didn’t. I’m sure some Thai bigwig could come up with some version where it did though...lol. The problem with Western thinking is we want everyone to come along with us, but unfortunately, on an evolutionary scale, it’s simply just not possible fast track it. That’s why it’s called evolution.

16 hours ago, Vacuum said:

Well, just get a license then!

Long process!  It normally takes 1-2 days, compare that to other countries....

It's likely the worry they have in not passing the test.  Do the homework, read the Traffic code, understand it, obey it!

16 hours ago, jimmyyy said:

10 year olds on motorbikes, try 6 years old up here.  Damn kids are always hitting stuff and falling over.,

In my village there is young girl riding her mother's motor bike every day. She only looks about 3 but she sometimes wears a crash hat.

The big danger locally is kids riding bikes with no pedals or brakes. Can't hear them coming. They whack into you. Much suffering!

Archived