2018 Retirement Extension Report from Chaengwattana BKK

One other side note -- continue to be surprised and dismayed at the pretty much absence of even functional English among the typical Immigration staff at CW.

The extensions officer who handled my paperwork today spoke very little English, and much preferred to speak with my wife in Thai. And that's pretty much the same as I've encountered in past years, though the extensions supervisors often do seem to be more English capable.

But even moreso, this morning, the front counter area inside the Immigration office had 3 Thais manning the counter -- a younger woman in a uniform T-shirt, a younger male officer in a regular uniform, and a middle-aged woman in regular uniform.

I had a simple question about what person (who) hands out the queue tickets early in the morning outside the Immigration office. And when I went to ask, neither the younger woman or the younger male officer had the slightest clue of what I was trying to ask them in English. But, as it turned out, the middle aged female officer did speak and understand English passably well, so managed to deal with her OK.

You might think, in Bangkok Immigration of all places at the front counter handling the influx of visitors, they could manage to staff it with at least a couple officers who speak and or understand English. But, apparently that's just a pie in the sky idea here.

And FWIW, in contrast and reflecting the current trends in visitors to Thailand, I seriously doubt I would have had any better luck with any of the three front counter Immigration staff at CW if I had been speaking Chinese instead of English. But that's just my guess...

Thanks TallGuyJohninBKK for your detailed report, and also Pib. I had recently heard about them asking for a Map to Your Home and like you I have always taken a nice one I had printed off of Google Maps. Like you also I have never been asked for it in the past. The person that I heard the new require  from prior to you and Pib's confirmation said they would not accept a Google Map Copy printout and they were made to make their on by hand. So since I heard that, I took the time to make a nice hand drawn map in preparation of getting my extension based on retirement in two weeks. Did they accept a internet printed map from you? Just wondering, I will take both with me, but just curious. Thanks. 

35 minutes ago, Pib said:

TallGuy,

I did my annual renewal of retirement extension of stay yesterday.  When I was reading you post I thought I was reading my own Trip Report I do for myself each year which I use to refresh my memory when it comes next renewal time.  Below is a cut and paste of my trip report for yesterday.   My trip started off from my western Bangkok moobaan and I drove to CW.

Where did you post it, Pib. I didn't see it. Can you include a link here? Thanks!

12 minutes ago, BobTH said:

Thanks TallGuyJohninBKK for your detailed report, and also Pib. I had recently heard about them asking for a Map to Your Home and like you I have always taken a nice one I had printed off of Google Maps. Like you also I have never been asked for it in the past. The person that I heard the new require  from prior to you and Pib's confirmation said they would not accept a Google Map Copy printout and they were made to make their on by hand. So since I heard that, I took the time to make a nice hand drawn map in preparation of getting my extension based on retirement in two weeks. Did they accept a internet printed map from you? Just wondering, I will take both with me, but just curious. Thanks. 

In my case, the officer originally handed my wife a totally blank piece of paper and wanted her to hand draw a map to our home.

In my folder, I pulled out and gave the office what I had, which was a screen capture printout of the Google Maps page for my home area, with me having hand drawn on that on our street a small square box with an X inside and then a brief handwritten note indicating that was our home location with the actual street address.

The officer accepted that just fine.

That's funny about you apparently having heard something about the maps thing before. I had scanned the threads in the weeks/prior to my CW visit, and hadn't seen anything relating to them asking for a new document. So much for that.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Thanks 1

The map I drew could not have been used by the greatest map reader in the world to find my home.  It looked like it was drawn by a 5 year old using finger paint and who hadn't learned to even spell one word yet.  But it was accepted from the first immigration officer taking my application and the second one doing the review.  They happy...I happy.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Pib said:

-  1 Copy of TM 9 application with photo

- 1 copy of 90 day address report

Two tidbits about that....

1. I think you mean TM7 form re the retirement extension, not TM 9.

2. I didn't bring today, nor have I ever included in my extension paperwork, a copy of my 90 day report slip. Wasn't asked for it today, and never been asked for it before.

The only time I can recall being asked for it in the past was once at CW when I was applying for a residency certificate. Couldn't figure out why they wanted a copy of my 90-day report paper for that, especially when they already had my prior current 90-day report in their computer system. But, they wanted it nonetheless.

BTW, about the Krungsri branch in the basement at CW, I popped in there today to ask a question that had been nagging me.  I know they issue bank statement letters there for Immigration as Pib described above.  BUT, I wasn't sure if that CW branch would issue bank letters to Immigration for Krungsri customers who have their accounts at OTHER Krungsri branches.

And, the Krungsri staff person I spoke with this morning confirmed that they'd issue the bank letter for Immigration there regardless of which Krungsri branch your account is hosted at (not just CW branch accounts), same as Pib described above, 100b fee and typically within 30 minutes or so.

I don't know if that same "customer friendly" policy on the Immigration letters (issuing letters regardless of your home branch) applies to the various other banks that have branches in the basement of the Government Complex building.

1 minute ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Two tidbits about that....

1. I think you mean TM7 form re the retirement extension, not TM 9.

2. I didn't bring today, nor have I ever included in my extension paperwork, a copy of my 90 day report slip. Wasn't asked for it today, and never been asked for it before.

The only time I can recall being asked for it in the past was once at CW when I was applying for a residency certificate. Couldn't figure out why they wanted a copy of my 90-day report paper for that, especially when they already had my prior current 90-day report in their computer system. But, they wanted it nonetheless.

Yea, TM7.    I include the 90 day list because it was on a checklist of docs to provide I download one time from immigration.  And one year (around 3 years ago) I forgot to include a copy of the 90 day report...the immigration officer reviewing my package then directed me to go make a copy to include in the application while she continued processing my package....I run downstairs...pay a few baht for a copy....then take it back to the officer...she now happy....I happy.

1 hour ago, Pib said:

TallGuy,

I did my annual renewal of retirement extension of stay yesterday.  When I was reading you post I thought I was reading my own Trip Report I do for myself each year which I use to refresh my memory when it comes next renewal time.

Great minds think alike Pib...  :tongue:

I try to do an annual thread on the retirement extension application process for two reasons:

1. It's kind of a way of giving back for all the helpful advice I get here on this and other topics thru the year, and lots of people seem to have questions and uncertainties about all the details involved.

2. Like you, doing a written recap of today's experience helps me remember and recall all the details I need to think about next year, including any new wrinkles like this year's home map request, when it comes time to repeat the whole process all over again!

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Pib said:

I include the 90 day list because it was on a checklist of docs to provide I download one time from immigration.  And one year (around 3 years ago) I forgot to include a copy of the 90 day report...the immigration officer reviewing my package then directed me to go make a copy to include in the application while she continued processing my package...

That's the thing about Thailand and Immigration. It's always potentially a quirky adventuresome experience. You never quite know when someone's going to throw a curve ball at you, so always best to be prepared.

FWIW, I always remove the original 90-day report slip that I keep paper clipped in my passport before going to Immigration or other places where my passport is going to get manhandled, like at the bank, because I don't want to lose that slip.

However, last night at home, as I was getting prepared and removing the original 90-day slip, I mulled that over, and decided just as a precaution to include a spare photocopy I had in my backup documents folder (along with my home map copy, etc etc.), just in case.

Wasn't asked for the 90-day report slip today. Haven't been asked for it in many years of extension filings at Chaengwattana. But I did have a copy with me today in my backup documents folder, just in case I ran into your same officer from years back!

Boy Scouts motto -- be prepared.  Better to have too much than not enough.

• Like 1

Over the years my annual renewals at Chaeng Wattana Immigration have be easy and quick.  The staff has always been courteous, professional, and efficient.  Plus, I get my bank letter at the branch in the immigration building same day.  Heck, I usually spend more time driving to and from Chaaeng Wattana from my western Bangkok home than I do within the immigration office.

It's really easy and quick....hard for me to understand why some people pay agents big money to help them repeatedly each year especially since the paperwork requirements are minimal.   But that's OK...it's their money.

1 minute ago, Pib said:

Over the years my annual renewals at Chaeng Wattana Immigration have be easy and quick.  The staff has always been courteous, professional, and efficient.  Plus, I get my bank letter at the branch in the immigration building same day.  Heck, I usually spend more time driving to and from Chaaeng Wattana from my western Bangkok home than I do within the immigration office.

It's really easy and quick....hard for me to understand why some people pay agents big money to help them repeatedly each year especially since the paperwork requirements are minimal.   But that's OK...it's their money.

Not everywhere is as comparatively easy as Chaengwattana...

And in fact, a few other offices seem to offer downright unpleasant/demanding/miserable experiences, Chiang Mai and a few others among them that have oddball/out of policy document requirements, either blanket or sporadically....

Things like, requiring MFA certification of consulate income letters, requiring retirement extension applicants to pay for and present evidence of a medical exam, queues that require getting a space in the middle of the night (Chiang Mai), etc etc...

In our case at CW today, we left home at 7 am and got back home by about 1 pm, so it was a 6 hour odyssey including travel time. The better part of a full work day.

26 minutes ago, Pib said:

Amen Brother!!!  No argument there.

BTW, the other issue about the whole Immigration experience is REPETITION.

We've both been doing it here in BKK for many years now, and so there's some familiarity by now, fortunately.

But I also remember my first time or two going down to the old Suan Plu Immigration office, and being totally bewildered, not knowing where to go, how to do, no one around who I could really speak to easily in English, etc etc....  But then thru the years, I learned from Lopburi, Joe and others, and everything got easier and I knew more.

So I always try to remember, everyone approaches these kinds of things from their own individual background and experience, or lack thereof.

And then of course, as regards agents, there's folks out there who don't actually meet the specific Immigration requirements, and decide to pay agents to help them get past what otherwise would be denials if they tried to do things on their own....

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

back page and a color 4x6 cm photo pasted in the box on the same back page.

In Buriram I was told next year not to bring a 4x6 cm photo as the officer takes it on his computer camera. 

Just now, sinbin said:

In Buriram I was told next year not to bring a 4x6 cm photo as the officer takes it on his computer camera. 

In BKK, every year including for past years, they've always used the little webcam camera attached to each officer's computer to take a new photo every time I go for retirement extension. Same occurred today. But at least in BKK, they're still asking for the printed color photo attached to the paper application.

Perhaps that will change in the future at some point. But hasn't happened yet.

• Like 1

Yea, the Suan Plu Immigration office off Sathorn Rd was (is) like going to a run down and extremely crowded bus station with no/little air conditioning and practically no parking.   I don't miss going to that place. 

I know when the move from Suan Plu to Cheang Wattana occurred many farangs, especially those that lived in central Bangkok,  didn't like the move because getting to Cheang Wattana in northern Bangkok was going to be a challenge for them.   But for me in western Bangkok the road distance between my home in western Bangkok to Cheang Wattana or Suan Plu was basically the same, and instead of going to a immigration office that was like a run down, over crowded bus station I got to go to a modern air conditioned complex facility which also had banks, restaurants, and other shops.  IMO a lot more better and it was simply a smart move since the Thai govt has so many other govt buildings in the Cheang Wattana area....they have pretty much centralized many of their govt facilities to the Cheang Wattana area and the two HUGE complex buildings there.

• Like 1

The photo is not suppose to be over 6 moths old but up until this year when I got a new photo made when I happened to be at a photo shop having some family pictures enlarged/printed out.   I had used the same photo for 9 years.  I don't know what motivated me to get a new photo because I'm still just as "hansum" as I was 9 years ago.   And yea, Chaeng Wattana has been taking photos of the applicant as you set at the application desk for years now.....at least 5...maybe more....maybe that's why they never seemed to care if the photo you put on the paper application still really looked like you.

One thing I noticed today, maybe moreso than in past years, is that the Government Complex building appears to have kind of become a local mall for the Thais who work nearby at places like TOT and CAT headquarters, among others. In particular, I noticed tons of uniformed TOT and CAT staff coming and going out of the building today.

When I mentioned about the small Govt. Complex shuttle bus being overloaded, it wasn't with farangs going to Immigration for their approvals. But it was lots of Thais coming and going from the Govt. Complex building, especially during the lunch hour period, presumably to use the food courts, bank branches, shops, and today at least, the main floor interior open courtyard was really filled with a bunch of food and other pop-up retail shops.

You know you're really in a Thai mall when you can find and spot counters for AIS, True Move H and DTAC all arrayed hawking their wares...as is the case in the basement level of the Government Complex.

if you're coming from the west on public transportation, bus #150 runs from bangkapi mall (happyland) to pakkret, stopping in front of the MFA building.  AC buses run every 30 minutes-ish, taking about 45 minutes.  line runs north from lad phrao to hwy 304, then heads west, avoiding (for now) the construction congestion on ramkhamhaeng and lad phrao.

18 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

-TM 7 retirement extension form printed double-sided on one page, with your phone number written on the top of the back page

…..

--TM8 re-entry permit application form printed doubled-sided on a single sheet, with your phone number written on the top of the front side 

Thanks for a most informative post.

For the love of Buddha is there any discernable reason why a TM7 needs a phone# on the back and a Tm8 needs it on the front? I think I will put it on both sides just to be sure.

Edited by MJKT2014
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

So, that's it for another year!!!

Thanks very much!  I used your report last year to do my first ever retirement extension and it was so helpful.  I have a few months to go before a year is up, but I'll be sure to bookmark this page.

28 minutes ago, MJKT2014 said:

For the love of Buddha is there any discernable reason why a TM7 needs a phone# on the back and a Tm8 needs it on the front? I think I will put it on both sides just to be sure.

Perhaps a old requirement from when the TM8 form only had one page.

• Like 1