Prayut threatens to sue media

snoop1130

By The Nation

1b2e05ea4cf0bf076bb2071f6e6a3540.jpeg

The prime minister on Friday threatened legal action against media outlets deemed to criticise him with allegations he deemed libellous.

But General Prayut Chan-o-cha said this was not an attempt to censor or intimidate the media.

“Don’t accuse me of blocking democracy. I am trying to steer the country towards a full democracy as best as possible,” he said. “I have never censored or restricted the media.”

The PM added that if he had fully exercised his power as head of the ruling junta, there would have been no such media attacks against him.

Prayut, who also heads the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO), said certain media outlets faced legal action because “they did too much distortion”. But he added: “Most people don’t want to have a problem with the media.”

He said it was time for him to take legal action against the media outlets he deemed to have attacked him unfairly.

“Just like when [the media] is sued by people over defamation, state agencies also need to protect their dignity. They have the right to protect themselves against untrue allegations,” he said.

“The media have to be careful. I am not threatening the media. You need to be accountable for what you do. There are good media and I have to thank them.”

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30352890

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-8-24

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

Dont accuse me of blocking democracy. I am trying to steer the country towards a full democracy as best as possible,” he said 

Best have a read up on the meaning of the word then .. 

IMG_20180824_114814.jpg

23 minutes ago, Justgrazing said:

Best have a read up on the meaning of the word then .. 

IMG_20180824_114814.jpg

Why does he need to have a read-up on the meaning of democracy?  He said that he is trying to steer the country towards full democracy, he did not claim that it existed now.

26 minutes ago, Justgrazing said:
  36 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

Dont accuse me of blocking democracy. I am trying to steer the country towards a full democracy as best as possible,” he said 

18 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Why does he need to have a read-up on the meaning of democracy?  He said that he is trying to steer the country towards full democracy, he did not claim that it existed now.

Because he’s not steering the country anywhere near anything even closely resembling ‘democracy’. Learn how to comprehend sentiment and stop being obtuse. 

46 minutes ago, Lungstib said:

More of the now familiar. Criticism is against the law, critics will be arrested and imprisoned. The 'democracy' he is pushing for is one in which people do not get a say, protests are banned, arbitrary arrests are allowed, politics can not be discussed and ordinary citizens are tried in military courts. I think he's got the terms democracy and dictatorship a bit mixed up.

This deluded confusion has a long history of like-minded "leaders".

And seemingly quite accepted.

As the saying goes "If you don't like the heat, get out of the kitchen."  Four years and he still hasn't concluded that running a country is not like running an army that hasn't been to war in decades.  I'm not sure, really.  Was the last time truly in 1941, when the French had been invaded by Germany and already disarmed, as I'm told?

“The media have to be careful. I am not threatening the media. You need to be accountable for what you do. There are good media and I have to thank them.”

Woof! 

*Good Media Poodle wags tail like a dog possessed*

PS: "You need to be accountable for what you do" back at ya, General.

2 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Talking of Prayut suing someone. What has happened in the serious case of Prayut suing the the person who dare mention the brand name of his wife's handbag. 

3 hours ago, The Deerhunter said:

As the saying goes "If you don't like the heat, get out of the kitchen."  Four years and he still hasn't concluded that running a country is not like running an army that hasn't been to war in decades.  I'm not sure, really.  Was the last time truly in 1941, when the French had been invaded by Germany and already disarmed, as I'm told?

And, what are the qualifications for running a country? I am not taking sides, just looking objectively. Is it being a seasoned politician with years of experience? Is it an education in political science? Is it a natural born instinct of common sense, charisma to motivate people, honest integrity, thinking outside the box, etc. I was in the band that played at one of Arnold Scwharzenegger's campaign tours in California. There must have been something he was good at because he got re-elected.   

6 hours ago, scoutman360 said:

And, what are the qualifications for running a country? I am not taking sides, just looking objectively. Is it being a seasoned politician with years of experience? Is it an education in political science? Is it a natural born instinct of common sense, charisma to motivate people, honest integrity, thinking outside the box, etc. I was in the band that played at one of Arnold Scwharzenegger's campaign tours in California. There must have been something he was good at because he got re-elected.   

Not trying to be cynical but warfare is the only test for the quality of an army and the motivational skills of its officers.

6 hours ago, scoutman360 said:

And at least with Arnold, in California an election was involved.

12 hours ago, Just Weird said:

I think he might possibly have meant "as best as I know how"

12 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The PM added that if he had fully exercised his power as head of the ruling junta, there would have been no such media attacks against him.

ah the benevolent merciful leader

20 minutes ago, The Deerhunter said:

And at least with Arnold, in California an election was involved.

Yeah but the saying  "Ill be back" rings way more true here, da da da  da daaaaaaaan

terminator-2-terminator-t-800-endoskeleton-maquette-sideshow-300157-17.jpg

Talk about someone suffering from both hubris and insecurity.  Rather pathetic to watch.
If democracy is defined by outlawing political parties that offer competition to the status quo, threatening the media, and threatening critics - then he on the fast track to Democracy 4.0 which is a new form of democracy:  Democratic totalitarianism?    ?  Amazing Thailand.

The fourth paragraph sounds quite sinister.

"The PM added that if he had fully exercised his power as head of the ruling junta, there would have been no such

media attacks against him."

Censorship is advertising paid by the government.

Federico Fellini

Archived