Courts, not police, would punish drivers without licences, public assured

rooster59

This could result in big backlash from the community. If indeed so Many drive without licenses, then there will be rich temptuous pickings for the BiB.  But of course now that fines are increased, they will do the right thing, comply with the law and send all the perps to court. Why? Because they are honest and ready to do the right thing.

6C477067-DA5F-4B08-A6B2-8D028D8A64C6.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

"...Since police will no longer have the authority to fine violators, there will also be fewer rogue police officers preying on motorists, he said..."

The 'Tea Money' will come in response to a threat to send the case to court. 'Pay me now or go through the hassle...'

"...In any case, he added, the Royal Thai Police (RTP) will not protect any bribe-collecting or corrupt officers and will subject them to the appropriate disciplinary and criminal code punishments..."

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

You can change the law. You can change the regulations. You can change the methods.

However, if you don't change the ethics of the people giving the ticket (the Police), nothing changes.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

well that takes education and decades for peoples habit to change. Fines will make people think twice about breaking the law. So its a quicker and easier change. Police are more afraid of accepting bribes as well. So its a win win for the society, a small step forward. Save the corruption talk....

I cant even be bothered renewing my thai drivers license. last year I got a 1000thb fine for turning right on a red light despite the light being green.  I handed the cop my license before he told me what the problem was, I should have just let him keep my license rather than go all the way into town to pay the fine at the police station. if I end up back in Thailand full time I will get an electric bike. a mate sells the fat wheel ones there that are just as good as a scooter anyway.

6 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

and again, the tea money or get you off the hook money is the best scenario 

It appears that the situation of police accepting bribes so you avoid prosecution is well established.    If you are pulled up for DUI you get out of the car but before doing so you put the 4000 you have been keeping in the glove box for some time for such an occasion on the front passenger sea (MAKE SURE THE PASSENGER SIDE DOOR IS UNLOCKED, VERY IMPORTANT).  You then walk to where the head man is and engage him in conversation for a few minutes.  You then go back to your car and drive off and put another 4000 in the glove box for next time.  Now this has nothing to do with Thailand?

Out for a 1 hour Saturday  bike ride up here in Sunny Chiang Rai.  Seen literally hundreds of kids on bike - no helmets, modified exhausts and guaranteed no licenses  - also seem the BIB drive right past them.  Shocking for me coming from the UK and Australia where making a turn or overtaking without indicating is heavily fined.  The chance of this stopping is less than 0 imho

Edited by krobert6
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, guest879 said:

I cant even be bothered renewing my thai drivers license.

Well don't. While you're at it, skip the visa extension, 90 day reports, vechicle tax, never mind the helmet, no one will miss you.

Courts, not police, would punish drivers without licences, public assured

I'm not assured about anything in Thailand concerning the BiB... they do seem to have a penchant for self-financing

for the courts to prosecute & punish someone first a ticket must be issued by the police for the person to attend court, there-in lays the problem..    it doesn't get to court !!!

pay a "street fine" no ticket issued !!!

9 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Court judges, not police officers, will determine the punishment for people caught driving without required licences, the police and Department of Land Transport (DLT) affirmed on Friday.

The public is supposed to believe that the court will allow the court dockets to be pack to the gills with unlicensed driver cases?  The sheer number will completely overwhelm the courts.  Thais definitely don't have the ability to forecast the future based on current data. So to keep from swamping the courts, the BIB will have to pre-process all cases of unlicensed driving which means --- same, same but not different. 
"You pay 500 baht now and I no send you to court." 

Edited by connda

Just how much is acceptable to offer the Police to NOT submit the paperwork , hence no court case. Unless there was always a pair of officers who will also to be photographed ( currently they hate in car cameras filming them )  handing out the fine, then it is just another way of stating PUBLICALLY that the Courts will process the paperwork submitted . 

NO paperwork, no court case. Mr Plod becoming wealthy ….period !!

Edited by Khun Paul

The courts will only be involved, if it gets to the courts. Much of this will be handled on the spot, by the RCAB (revenue collection agents in brown). And if it goes to the courts, we all know how weak the judicial system is here. Leniency is to be expected. And with that leniency, they are not doing the nation any favors. In most nations they have what is commonly known as a deterrent. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, kannot said:

perhaps if they had a helmet instead of a licence it might help  more, why not issues  all licences stamped onto the helmet and must be displayed at all times.......and not in the basket?

Actual a good input and to take this further in this tec times - what about a helmet/licence/alcohol sensor prior to be able to start any vehicle...:1zgarz5: 

"Court judges, not police officers, will determine the punishment for people caught driving without required licences". I would have thought that the government determines the penalties, not the court judges. Their job is to enforce them. Drivers and riders either have a valid licence or they don't. Judges using their discretion is just another opportunity for corruption.

If the amended law is approved, it will be published in the Royal Gazette and come into effect one year after the publication date, giving people lots of time to get educated about the changes, he said.

and i thought this was coming in now ???

does it state the youngest age to be able to ride a bike lawfully,  i didnt notice that part.

just found this

Everybody can ride ‘legally’ a automatic scooter of not more than 115cc until he or she becomes 18 years old. I was told that some small print involves that the scooter is registered a direct family member and fully insured. The Thai law says that everybody older than 18 and operating a engine propelled motor vehicle needs to have a drivers license for that vehicle.

Reality, most police officers – especially upcountry – have no interest in stopping youngsters to check if the scooter or step-through motorcycle is within the specifications of the law. It’s just to much work, sure if not wear a helmet they get stopped and if they on a Honda 125cc they in more trouble...

6 hours ago, madmitch said:

And if all this unlicensed drivers are suddenly going to be spurred into action following this announcement can you imagine the chaos at every DLT office?

And people getting caught without a licence is going to cause chaos at the courts!

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

The courts will only be involved, if it gets to the courts. Much of this will be handled on the spot, by the RCAB (revenue collection agents in brown). And if it goes to the courts, we all know how weak the judicial system is here. Leniency is to be expected. And with that leniency, they are not doing the nation any favors. In most nations they have what is commonly known as a deterrent. 

It was reported some 6 years ago in Thai media that police in Chiang mai Province were rewarded with 1/3rd of the fine that was imposed, that is for any offence where payment was received for any traffic offence.  They were to be rewarded for honesty.   I do not know if this still the case, if a policeman gets a conviction for riding without a licence he  could receive a bonus of up to Bt16,666 for each offence Phew!!!   That could change a few things in Thailand

Edited by David Walden

I wonder if they really believe the trash they spew out for public consumption or even worse, do they think we are simple minded and believe the ridiculous feeble nonsense???

Just on a different note which many TV readers will relate to because it is corruption at its usual best, when I go for my retirement extension I have two options, even though there is a massive sign on the wall that any and all corruption must be reported to a certain phone number, who no doubt cannot speak English or Thai if you dial it.

Option 1.

I sit there from 9 am until 4 pm or until they tell me they have run out of time and to come back the day after which is a 4 hour round trip two days running.

Option 2.

I play their game and hand over an additional 2K to them under the table and get smiles all round and my extension in half an hour, and its a once a year payment.

This is why we cannot win and never will as corruption is so endemic and deep-rooted and acceptable in Thai society. The Thai driver will never be able to afford these extortionate fines, so will keep paying the roadside cop.

Result= Nothing changes!

4 hours ago, David Walden said:

It appears that the situation of police accepting bribes so you avoid prosecution is well established.    If you are pulled up for DUI you get out of the car but before doing so you put the 4000 you have been keeping in the glove box for some time for such an occasion on the front passenger sea (MAKE SURE THE PASSENGER SIDE DOOR IS UNLOCKED, VERY IMPORTANT).  You then walk to where the head man is and engage him in conversation for a few minutes.  You then go back to your car and drive off and put another 4000 in the glove box for next time.  Now this has nothing to do with Thailand?

Not proven a for sure nowadays. All a different ballgame in Chiangmai.

12 hours ago, johng said:

I renewed my 5 year licences yesterday...it took 9 hours and a more convoluted method could hardly be devised...the DLT was overrun with "customers"
No wonder so many can't be bothered to take (at least) 1 whole day off work and junp through all the bureaucratic hoops
Why not extend the renewal time to 10 years (insted of 5)
and just require updated photo..maybe in 4.0 it could all be done online and new license delivered to your door ?

You can get an international driver permit online and have it delivered to your door. You need your home country's licence though to accompany it

1 hour ago, David Walden said:

It was reported some 6 years ago in Thai media that police in Chiang mai Province were rewarded with 1/3rd of the fine that was imposed, that is for any offence where payment was received for any traffic offence.  They were to be rewarded for honesty.   I do not know if this still the case, if a policeman gets a conviction for riding without a licence he  could receive a bonus of up to Bt16,666 for each offence Phew!!!   That could change a few things in Thailand

I understand that the 'arresting officer' gets a percentage of the police fine (I thought it was 40%).  However these new fines will be given by the courts and therefore out of the police jurisdiction.